Barry Lyndon 0.7 primes

zenpmd

I watched this film on the weekend. I loved it. Defo in my top 10.

What I don't understand is that, if those candlelit scenes were shot with 0.7 50mm, they didn't seem to have anywhere near the shallow depth of field that lens would imply. Any idea whats happening here?

Thanks

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

The set design will have probably have been adjusted to shorten depth and increase the amount of in focus material.  

I believe a large majority of the shots that made it into the edit were actually from the 50mm f0.7 but with a custom made front mounted afocal WA adaptor that changed the focal length to an equivalent 35mm f0.7.  the shortening of the focal length actually increases dof.  a 35mm f0.7 on 35mm film (22-24mm wide) is similar to a 50mm f1.4 on full frame (36mm wide) so therefore the 'look' isn't that crazy by todays standards.   

Most of the scenes do look very soft / out of focus imo.

Nowadays we would be shooting the same scene at f/5.6 without problems :)

They used tons of candles, special 3 wick ones with a lot of light. And asa 100 film, pushed to 200.

http://www.rogerdeakins.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=3166

Here's more on the lens and wide angle adapter: http://www.visual-memory.co.uk/sk/ac/len/page1.htm

The set design will have probably have been adjusted to shorten depth and increase the amount of in focus material.

I believe a large majority of the shots that made it into the edit were actually from the 50mm f0.7 but with a custom made front mounted afocal WA adaptor that changed the focal length to an equivalent 35mm f0.7.  the shortening of the focal length actually increases dof.  a 35mm f0.7 on 35mm film (22-24mm wide) is similar to a 50mm f1.4 on full frame (36mm wide) so therefore the 'look' isn't that crazy by todays standards.  

​That explains it. There is just now way it was 50mm FF equiv at 0.7