adapter question/problem

Wedookayfilms

So I just purchased a contax Carl Zeiss 28mm 2.8 Biogon and a metabones Contax G to Micro 4/3 adapter... I can not figure out how to make this work on my gh2? I can get the metabones adapter in the gh2 and I can also get the Carl Zeiss 28mm in the metabones adapter, but I can't seem to do both at the same time... Anyone know of any tutorials of how to install? I remember maybe reading something about needing to customize the lens to fit?

Thanks !

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Thank you Tupp!

My problem is with the Contax G Carl Zeiss 28mm, which has two plastic blades on the back of the lens, that I think prevents it from mounting it correctly..

I thought I read about having to maybe saw these off or maybe customize this lens (Contax Carl Zeiss 28mm 2.8) for it to work with the metabones g to micro 4/3, and a gh2.. Anyone hear of this or know more info on this lens and adapter in specific? There are comments on that video that say it is flawed and the item doesnt work, is this true?

I am familiar with the protective "ears" on the backside of the wider Contax G lenes, but I am not sure I understand the problem with this adapter and camera.

Are you saying that you can properly mount the lens into the adapter, but that the lens ears poke through the adapter far enough to interfere with the internal structure of the GH2?

Can you post a photo of the back side of the adapter with the lens mounted on it?

Thanks for posting the photos.

It is surprising that such a shallow protrusion could touch any internal structure in the GH2.  If that's what is happening, I would guess that the best thing to do is to remove the ears or "mill-off" the portion of the ears that hit the GH2.

Before you take such drastic action, it might be worthwhile to try another Contax G lens that doesn't have such ears.

By the way, is your lens fully "locked" into the adapter?

it is fully locked into, it seems as firm as its going to get. It doesnt lock in the way I can still turn it and it pops out, but if I don't turn it then it stays in fine. Its just the adapter with the lens wont go into the gh2. The adapter goes in fine but with the lens is when it doesnt work. I am getting another contax g lens 45mm to check.. Any recommendation how to get these ears off? How to saw or remove ? Thanks again!.

It doesn't appear to be fully locked, and that's unsafe.

The first video that I linked is a tutorial from Metabones.  They attempt to show an internal black tab fitting into a black slot along with demonstrating which external ring to unintuitively turn.  I am afraid that they don't do a very good job of conveying what's needed for the operation, so you have to pay very close attention to everything that they try to show.

There have been reports about folks having to file the internal tab to make the lens function properly.  Mechanically, these lenses seem a little "over-engineered."

If I had to eliminate the rear protective ears, I try to remove them cleanly by unscrewing them.  If there are any screws attaching the ears to the body of the lens, they are under the rear lens mount.  So, it might be good to remove the silver Phillips screws shown in this photo below  that attach the lens mount.

ContaxG-28mm-rear.jpg

Then remove the rear lens mount and see what's underneath.  If the ears are mounted with screws to the lens body, then merely unscrew them and save them and the ears in a small container/plastic bag, and reattach the rear lens mount.

If there is no easy way to remove the ears with the rear lens mount off, then the ears might need to be sawed or snipped off.  I would be very careful in doing so, to keep plastic chips and metal filings from getting into the lens and/or onto the optical elements.  One way to get the optics safely away from such work is to remove the entire optical assembly, as shown here.

Here is an example of a lens with the ears cut.

Hope this helps.

Hmmm... not sure what you mean, but it sounds like you did not remove the rear lens mount to see what was underneath.

I am happy to help, but it would make things easier if the reply information was more detailed, forthcoming and prompt.

Did you remove the rear lens mount?

Yeah, you're not going to be able to remove those ears safely without removing the lens element. A dremel tool will take care of them quickly, but if you do it with the glass still attached, you'll likely get metal shards all over it. Taking a lens apart (and putting it back together) can be tricky, but if you're slow and methodical, taking pictures along the way for reference, you should be able to make it work. 

I definitely would not take that lens apart unless you have done it before. Get a lens cloth,fold it and lay it over the rear glass element. Tape it to the body or something so it stays on and you can Drimmel the shit out of those ears. Maybe lay another piece of cloth or something over that for extra protection.

Dremel, as in the rotary tool, used for smoothing surfaces, engraving and surely cutting too, depending on the attachment used.

Cover the optic elements with a piece of cardboard and attach some tape to fix it in place (protect the glass). Then use one of these tools and cut away carefully.

SKxzwsj.jpg

http://www.dremel.com/en-us/Tools/Pages/CategoryProducts.aspx?catid=2013