Samsung NX500?

jagnje

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

The Dutch are high on NX500:

http://www.fototuerlings.nl/samsung-nx500-powerzoom-dubbel-kit-black-16-50-pz-50-20.html

1. 28M BSI CMOS sensor
  2. Hybrid Auto focus system (phase detection + contrast AF) met 205 AF punten!
  3. 9 frames per second continious shooting
  4. Nieuwe SMART opties: GEO tagging, 4x snellere Wifi verbinding, Bluetooth etc.
  5. 2.5K (Quad HD) movie
  6. UHD Time Laps Video
  7. Tilt flip-up Super AMOLED display met Touch
  8. Dubbel control wheel

The Dutch are high on NX500:

http://www.fototuerlings.nl/samsung-nx500-powerzoom-dubbel-kit-black-16-50-pz-50-20.html

1. 28M BSI CMOS sensor
  2. Hybrid Auto focus system (phase detection + contrast AF) met 205 AF punten!
  3. 9 frames per second continious shooting
  4. Nieuwe SMART opties: GEO tagging, 4x snellere Wifi verbinding, Bluetooth etc.
  5. 2.5K (Quad HD) movie
  6. UHD Time Laps Video
  7. Tilt flip-up Super AMOLED display met Touch
  8. Dubbel control wheel

​If it comes with an EVF, it would be perfect.

If it's anything like the NX300 the ergonomics will suck.

I've been waiting for cameras to shoot 2.5K for a while now, though. 1440p is just enough wiggleroom one would need to create cool 1080p projects, I'd say, if you, as manufacturer, don't want to take a camera full 4K.

The E-M1 has lots of things going for it, it's really fun for photography and the IBIS works like a charm for video... but... I do keep running into the issue that 30p is not flexible enough. I really want that 24p and 25p. More so than 4K even

(btw, why don't cameras come with 1330p or 1440p? It's either 1080p or 2160p. But for a little post footage stabilization or subtle zoom-ins/pans, 1330/1440p would already do the trick right?)

If only Nikon and Canon would just work on their videomodes. Dedicated mode with full manual control. Peaking and all the whistles. Mic in and headphone jack standard on any model. You don't even have to go 4K (what I'm concerned) if you're too worried you'll kill the camera, or your high-end line-up sales for that matter. Just give it GoPro Hero3-like specs. 4K @ 15 fps (although, you could just leave it alltogether), the 2.7K at 30 and 24p and 1440p mode at 48 fps (great for warp stabilizing and converting back to 1080p). Then bitrate, bitrate, bitrate! And compression!

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Finally someone making a 2.5k camera other than the BMC. Hope it's a good downscale from the lovely 4K NX1 image. Great price! if the image is near the nx1 but in 2.5k I'll be definitely getting one of these.

It's nice that Samsung has joined the game. These specs are copied from the link below. Samsung platform is quite tempting if only it had a sports / nature telephote lens as well. A 400 5.6 designed for APS-C .. and voila. In addition to that a firmware upgrade for the NX that add's H.264 recording in 4K.. Then it really would be one machine to do it all. Photography, be it nature (400 5.6+ 15fps) and video 264, 265 :P

28MP BSI APS-C sensor
D5s image engine
ISO range: 100-25,600
New hybrid AF with PD
55ms super fast AF
9fps with AF
1/6000s shutter speed
Easy sharing with BT/Wi-Fi/NFC
3: Super AMOLED tilt &flip LCD screen
Dual command dial
Will be available in three different colors: black, brown, white

http://www.mirrorlessrumors.com/first-images-of-the-new-samsung-nx500

• 3 weeks later...

I wonder if Samsung would push the similar firmware update with S-Log to NX500. So far NX500 seems to have specs of NX1 with the original firmware. 

Speaking of S-Log, I remember some people were not happy with sub-par dynamic range of NX1 even compared to GH4. Has it dramatically improved by filming in log in NX1? 

I was planning to get a LX100 to film some live music concerts in 4k - the original plan was to buy a Panny 12-35 f/2.8 to use with my GX7 (my current camera for movies), because I shoot handheld in these cases; since the LX100 is cheaper than the 12-35mm AND comes with a 4k camera attached, was an obvious choice...

...until today. Now I think that this NX500 could be the one; I know that I'll have to buy a stabilized lens for handheld shooting, but I know that the NX1 image is much better than the LX100, and I suppose that the NX500 would be the same. For daylight work, I can use rigs / tripods and my bunch of legacy glass - and in this scenario, I know that the NX500 probably will be better.

But about low light performance, my question for Andrew or someone that already used both cameras in low light: supposing that the NX500 have the same low light performance of the NX1, is it better than the LX100? My question is because of the sensor pixel pitch of them - 3,86 microns in the LX100, 3,63 in the NX1/NX500; the LX100 pixels are slightly larger, but the Samsung sensor is BSI. Which one have the clearer / less noisier image in ISO 1600 and 3200?

Any help would br appreciated (disclaimer: I'm not a pro, since I don't have the money for the perfect camera for the concert scenario, the Sony A7s :) )

​Exactly. I wished they would have stuck to that 2.5K spec. Bummer.

​Yeah, I can see how a different sensor might be more attractive. They could have limited it to 2.5k, and then maybe they wouldn't have to sacrifice dynamic range (although I do like how the nx1 handles highlights).

But a 4k interchangeable lens camera with a kit lens for $800 seems like a steal. If it happens to retain image quality from the nx1 (and let's us keep the dynamic range and contrast profiles), I would definitely be interested. We should be presented with more coverage in the coming days once the upcoming conference begins. 

I was planning to get a LX100 to film some live music concerts in 4k - the original plan was to buy a Panny 12-35 f/2.8 to use with my GX7 (my current camera for movies), because I shoot handheld in these cases; since the LX100 is cheaper than the 12-35mm AND comes with a 4k camera attached, was an obvious choice...

...until today. Now I think that this NX500 could be the one; I know that I'll have to buy a stabilized lens for handheld shooting, but I know that the NX1 image is much better than the LX100, and I suppose that the NX500 would be the same. For daylight work, I can use rigs / tripods and my bunch of legacy glass - and in this scenario, I know that the NX500 probably will be better.

But about low light performance, my question for Andrew or someone that already used both cameras in low light: supposing that the NX500 have the same low light performance of the NX1, is it better than the LX100? My question is because of the sensor pixel pitch of them - 3,86 microns in the LX100, 3,63 in the NX1/NX500; the LX100 pixels are slightly larger, but the Samsung sensor is BSI. Which one have the clearer / less noisier image in ISO 1600 and 3200?

Any help would br appreciated (disclaimer: I'm not a pro, since I don't have the money for the perfect camera for the concert scenario, the Sony A7s :) )

yes nx1 is much better in low light than the lx100, even though they have same photosite area (better bsi technology and noise is reduced by scaling down the croped 23,6Mpix down to 8,8mpix, the lx100 is just a 8,8mpix crop)  : same night scene iso 800 (already too much noise for the lx100)

lx100 : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVaA0840d3M

nx1 (+samyang 24mm f1.5) :  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gdrFX2oFDw 

guess who wins :)

i am in also to buy nx500 but i'll wait to see samples first because samsung should in all logic limit video quality on purpose to avoid stepping on the toes of the nx1

warning: 800 is the sweet spot for nx1 above that it falls appart and 3200 is terribly bad for a unknown reason