A7x internal 4K

Nikkor

It's just another of these rumors, like the om-d 4k or gh4 raw but hey.

Speaking to Sony rep at CES, he indicated H.265 may be coming to A7x platform. In theory, this could allow A7S to output 4K (H.265) to the SD card due to the lower bitrate possibility. Would eliminate the requirement for external HDMI recorder for 4K, as long as you are OK with the H.265 compression.

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr2-wild-rumor-h-265-coming-to-the-a7s-to-allow-internal-4k-recording/

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

The hardware should easily be able to do 4K at 100Mbit/s to the SD card, which is what the GH4 does. H.264 would be good enough and more usable than H.265 at this point. If they did offer H.265, H.264 at a higher bitrate should also be an option.

If the A7x platform does get 4K, could be another indicator that the 5D Mark IV has 4K (most likely 8-bit 420).

Well, this is certainly referring to a MKii update to the a7s, not to a firmware update of the current camera. An a7s Mkii would also be likely to get the in-body stabilization of the a7 Mkii.

​i see this everywhere. is sony really in the business of releasing entirely new bodies on 'flagship' cameras every year? seems really impractical and like it would alienate consumers. people like the confidence of having a 'top of the line' version of a camera for longer than a year.... thus why canon and nikon release major updates to bodies years apart... not just months. obviously sony did this with the a7 and a7II, but those weren't the same pricing point as a mark3... i guess time will tell. honestly if they do replace the a7s that would probably be the last sony camera I'll buy... and stick with bodies like the nx1 that are significantly cheaper to stay ahead with and still offer huge features.

​i see this everywhere. is sony really in the business of releasing entirely new bodies on 'flagship' cameras every year? seems really impractical and like it would alienate consumers. people like the confidence of having a 'top of the line' version of a camera for longer than a year.... thus why canon and nikon release major updates to bodies years apart... not just months. obviously sony did this with the a7 and a7II, but those weren't the same pricing point as a mark3... i guess time will tell. honestly if they do replace the a7s that would probably be the last sony camera I'll buy... and stick with bodies like the nx1 that are significantly cheaper to stay ahead with and still offer huge features.

​I come across this opinion quite often but I fail to understand it. Take the following example:

Lets say a camera company decides to release an updated model every month.

Case 1. If I buy a camera that fit my needs, why a new model a month later will affect the usefulness of the camera that I already have? 

Case 2. If I buy a camera that does not fit my needs, wouldn't the shorter release cycle allow me to get the camera that I need sooner than later?

In general I believe that shorter release cycles are more beneficial for the consumer. That and open source firmware.

Indeed.  When talking about the A7S, it's a consumer camera.  priced to appeal to consumers.  It just so happens it's gained popularity in the professional market.  consumer and professional equipment has merged, but Sony will always be focused within the consumer sector with cameras of this nature.  The only people who lose out to Sony's consumer priorities are those who rush out and buy a new version each year to fulfil the consumer within -the guys who worry so much about having the new gear that they never shoot anything.  

Before the A7S I was shooting on the NEX5n and earning money from it!  My NEX5n was 3 years old when it was replaced because none of its successors were worth upgrading to. yet I saw lots of people upgrading and getting no improvement for their money.   Even now, the NEX5n still sees occasional use and it intercuts very well with the A7S.

​I come across this opinion quite often but I fail to understand it. Take the following example:

Lets say a camera company decides to release an updated model every month.

Case 1. If I buy a camera that fit my needs, why a new model a month later will affect the usefulness of the camera that I already have? 

Case 2. If I buy a camera that does not fit my needs, wouldn't the shorter release cycle allow me to get the camera that I need sooner than later?

In general I believe that shorter release cycles are more beneficial for the consumer. That and open source firmware.

​i certainly see your point. however I think where I'm at is that the a7s (and every camera really) fills a need, it also has obvious flaws. For the s that would be no internal 4k, serious rolling shutter... And other issues. If Sony releases a replacement camera yearly, especially one priced at the 2500 mark (that's about the going rate for a 5D3) with significant improvements that drastically reduce the resale value of the previous model, you might start alienating early adopters. Obviously I don't know that of a surety, however prosumers and pros used to the way canon and Nikon (or red or arri in the cinema world) schedule their releases  it's certainly an unnerving paradigm shift. But maybe I just need to get used to that.