Nikon D5300 vs Sony A6000

shoottheshot

I've been beyond pleased with the D7100 for a couple years now, using aperture-ring glass. The 5300 has a similar & very pretty look as well. The 7100 is only 720 when shooting 60p, the 5200 gives you full 1080.

I shot this with a 5200 and a 7100, just jumped in a car with the singer and a makeup artist/assistant and spent a day driving around Texas with a few cases of empty wine bottles. The opening shots were last and very late at night, in a tiny room with me outside the window on a crane, not really optimal! But great cameras for the $$ if you own Nikkors (really need aperture ring glass with these bodies though).

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Has anyone done some test with the a6000 going to an external recorder? The only drawback atm for me not to buy that camera is the codec...if 300$ for the ninja star solves that problem I would be happy.

​I'm curious as to how many camera in this sort of list get a really noticeable quality increase with external recorders. Workflow and clip length, sure, Prores til the hard drive fills up. But with so many cameras putting out essentially 8 bit 4-2-0 via HDMI (even when they call it 422), I haven't seen many convincing tests. I assume the GH4 is another story with its true 10 bit out.

On the topic of the various VFs: Even with a battery in the OVF of a D5300 with its pentamirror can't match a properly done EVF. Problem is I don't know if the A6000's EVF is going to be like the A7 (terrible live feed with aliasing) or like say, the XT-1 (incredibly sharp with great optics).

On the topic of the various VFs: Even with a battery in the OVF of a D5300 with its pentamirror can't match a properly done EVF. Problem is I don't know if the A6000's EVF is going to be like the A7 (terrible live feed with aliasing) or like say, the XT-1 (incredibly sharp with great optics).

The a6000 EVF is pretty good (better than my GX7 but nowhere near the Fuji XT1). Main problem is that it gets noisy in low light (noticeable in indoor light, and then unusable in anything less)

7100, just jumped in a car with the singer and a makeup artist/assistant and spent a day driving around Texas with a few cases of empty wine bottles. The opening shots were last and very late at night, in a tiny room with me outside the window on a crane, not really optimal! But great cameras for the $$ if you own Nikkors (really need aperture ring glass with these bodies though).

​Thanks for sharing it with us! How do you like shooting with D7100? Is is comfortable? Can you change shutter and ISO during recording?

Has anyone done some test with the a6000 going to an external recorder? The only drawback atm for me not to buy that camera is the codec...if 300$ for the ninja star solves that problem I would be happy.

​I have tried to find some test videos or comparisons concerning uncompressed recording, but I found none. I found only some posts on forums saying that it doesn't give you anything special - moire and aliasing are still there. Really sad.

Just made this. A little parody to Terrence Malick. haha. With Nikon D5300.

​Wow, this is wonderful! Really great camera movements. Nice grading, too. How these files hold up during color correction? Do they break as easily as AVCHD?

​Well, I haven't seen A7 viewfinder, but I liked A6000 OLED EVF. I can only compare it to GH3, G6 and my A35 and it is nice for me. Big and detailed.

​​Wow, this is wonderful! Really great camera movements. Nice grading, too. How these files hold up during color correction? Do they break as easily as AVCHD?

​Thanks. It holds up very good grading, the internal encoder for h.264 its top quality. Although I always use a little noise reduction to fix some of the compression artifacts and chroma noise.

• 2 weeks later...

A5100 has a better codec than the A6000 but the A5100 has minor overheating issues.
If you don't need 60fps FHD, I'd recommend the D5200 over the D5300 as it is somewhat cheaper.

I own the D5200  / A5100 / BMPCC / GH1, if only the A5100 had zero overheating issues, audio in jack and a hotshoe then it would take top place out of all my cameras. Even so, it is still my most used camera! Hopefully the A7000 will resolve these remaining issues with the A5100.