Canon 1D C banding discovery

Andrew Reid

Import into FCPX, start working while media is still being copied from CF card. Simultaneously auto convert to 4k ProRes 422 in background by FCPX, as well as 2k ProRes proxy. Optionally let your converted 4k ProRes files replace your originals to save space.

Optionally flip a switch in FCPX to enter proxy mode. Transfer whole project to 2.5" USB3 drive and edit on MBP Retina, or MBP Air for that matter.

Easy .xml round tripping to Resolve with presets for FCPX already in place. Support up to UHD resolution free with Resolve Lite.

I am an active Creative Cloud subscriber. I wouldn't dream of using Premiere Pro for video work.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

OK.

To me, laying out material, and working with the magnetic timeline, is exponentially faster than any other "classic" editor based around the 'source/record windows'. Also, I much prefer the organizational features in FCPX compared to DaVinci Resolve.

And seeing that you answered "Yes. Yes": why on earth are you going via 3. party converters to get to ProRes?

The Premiere issue with quality was reported in August of last year. There's been at least one update since then- is the issue still present?

For the ultimate h.264 quality ffmpeg with x264 (command line or one of the UI versions) is worth a look.

It appears Adobe licenses their encoders and perhaps Apple uses their own. That could explain delays in fixing issues.

Resolve is getting better as an editor however it doesn't have the same level of codec support as Premiere and FCPX. For example, A7S XAVC-S has no audio support in Resolve 11 (latest).

You realize that was only regarding Media Encoder, not Premiere itself, right?

​It was present on h.264 export, a very common way to output files, I'd say.

The Premiere issue with quality was reported in August of last year. There's been at least one update since then- is the issue still present?

​I had not seen the follow up post. It's good to know that Adobe reacted quickly and was able to solve that issue. It seems that any project output after Octobersih 2014 won't need to be re-exported.

You realize that was only regarding Media Encoder, not Premiere itself, right? Also, this was put out shortly after. http://noamkroll.com/adobe-premiere-pro-vs-final-cut-pro-x-round-2-h264-compression-update/

​Great to see Adobe reaching out to a blogger and making sure the issue was fixed!

With Resolve (free) catching up to Premiere for basic editing (and much better grading tools), with everything (possible) GPU accelerated, and Fusion now free, perhaps After Effects can be merged into Premiere as one elegant, fast GPU accelerated app. Hitfilm for $300 already does this: http://hitfilm.com/ (combines editing and compositing/VFX into one app). Hitfilm isn't as fast as Premiere for editing, however it's much faster than After Effects for VFX.

• Administrators

I'm not going to dump Adobe Premiere as my editor just because it can't directly edit the MJPEG files nicely.

They have to be transcoded anyway and because Resolve has the most advanced options for this and uses GPU acceleration to get the job done faster, I'm using it to convert the MJPEG to ProRes, without any banding introduced in the process!

No FCPX for me I'm afraid. And this isn't a thread about the merits of various NLEs either!!

Did that and it has the banding. Premiere is introducing it on export even at the highest quality setting.

Wow, that really blows. Slightly off-topic (reading your above comment) but... If you are so inclined, you can rent Lightworks Pro for $25 per month. I just used it on a job for 2 months and then opted not to renew. It was excellent at attaching metadata or "cues" and later doing searches on dailies. It also has an upload straight to Youtube option?