Ray Roman workshop?

doug gerber

I'm thinking of attending the Capture Cinematic Weddings workshop series.  It's taught by Ray Roman, I checked him out and he seems legit, but I was wondering if anybody's taken his classes or can tell if they recommend him

Does anyone know anything about his workshops? are they worthwhile?  

I've shot a few weddings but I have mostly worked in narrative film. Roman has a very cinematic style that I really like . I want to step up to dealing with top dollar wedding clients and that seems to be what this course is all about, but I wanted some outside opinions before I commit to the workshop. Any info would be appreciated!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I bought his CreativeLive wedding seminar a year ago and it has some really good information. His story is pretty amazing coming from a police SWAT to one of the most sought after wedding videographers. Also, what's pretty amazing is it's just him and his wife doing all these productions, with his wife editing 90 percent of all of them. He also spoke about getting to those higher end clients, and it's a process, and not all that easy because not only do you need to bring on solid production and cinematography skills, you have to play the game, and play it well.

I also bought his seminar for 100 dollar, there was a temporary price reduction ending last year, now it's back to 129 dollar: https://www.creativelive.com/courses/wedding-cinematography-crash-course-ray-roman

Buying and downloading is much cheaper then attending his workshops, that's for sure :)

I only have watched about 1/3th so far, from what I have seen he doesn't hide anything, also not his asking prices (9K is his basic price and wait untill you see his option list.) and there is certainly something to learn for everyone.

I think it's not so much about the skill and tools he uses, don't get me wrong, he is skilled and he uses Andrew's favorite camera, but he knows how to sell himself, he has created a name, much like Still-motion was able to do. Technically I find Joe Simon and also Still-Motion (who don't shoot weddings anymore) better then Ray but all have one thing in common, they are brilliant at selling themselves, in establishing a recognizable brand. Their tools they use and the way they interact with their couples during the day is often not so much different then what most of us wedding videographers already do. Only most of us only get a fraction of what Ray makes :)

Well said, Noa! That is exactly correct, Ray isn't doing anything production and post-production wise that anyone with some solid working experience can't produce, and he admits that. But, it is what noa said, it's his perception to his clients. In one example clip he showed this bride who was so excited that Ray Roman was shooting her wedding, she could hardly contain herself, that is perception. 

Doug, just buy the course, then come back here and thank us afterwards. $100 is not a lot of money for the amount of knowledge you'll get, and knowledge is a lot more valuable than kit. 

As for weddings as a get rich quick scheme, or a way to indulge your creativity whilst being overpaid for it, let us know how that works out. I'm pretty cynical, but don't let me or any other internet random dissuade you.

It's weird and it almost looks to me "doug gerber" is someone advertising for Ray Romans workshop or just trying to bring it to our attention, Doug posted the exact same question on dvinfo.net which I answered but right after that the entire message was deleted from the board which is very unusual since only someone with a admin status can do that, also there he was a first time poster. It might be a coincidence but Ray has a new workshop about to start and he is advertising for that on dvinfo.

Maybe I"m just being paranoia...