Do I need a permit to film?

AFKLenz3G

I'm starting to write the script to my fist movie, It's an independent film which will not be sold to people, just posted to YouTube and given to people for free on DVDs. I want to be able to film at a few public locations in my city, but I'm not sure if i'd need some sort of permit or temporary allowance to film at a location. Any information appreciated, thanks in advance

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Permissions are usually expensive and a headache. Try gorilla shooting but remember: 1. Keep cast and crew small and inconspicuous. 2. Don't take hours to finish any scene. Elaborate scenes should be shot inside/ indoors. 3. Rehearse. 4. Don't carry equipment outside that draws too much attention. Just a  single camera with hidden lapel kics with wireless kindda recorders.  5. There should always be a production guy who can handle the cops. Also everyone should scoot while he does that. 6. Tiny handheld stabilizer like the Nebula 4000 or extreme wide lenses and a steady hand. B

• Administrators

It depends where you're shooting and what with.

Small crew of 2 or 3 with small camera, very unlikely to draw attention from the authorities. Bigger crews, bigger equipment will get more questions asked.

Shooting in the street you usually don't need a permit, shooting on government owned infrastructure (i.e. trains) or privately owned locations that are open to the public (i.e. building) you are more likely to need one.

General rule of thumb if it is non-commercial work is just go and shoot and see what you can get away with. What's the worst that can happen if you're sensible about it?!

Its' depend what will you use your videos for? If the files violate someone's right, then that may be a headache. And if you try to upload them on Youtube, the compression about this website is very heavy, the quality may not as good as your origianl files directly came from your camera.

I have shot several music videos and other short films on just about every location possible in my area. Some have been government owned properties and some public spaces among others. I have never obtained any permitions, but I have kept my crew small, including actors we've never been more than five at the most. Sometimes we have been asked to leave and we have done so quietly. Never had any trouble exept fot that so keep it simple and be prepared to leave and you should be fine. I live in Norway and regulations might be tighter elsewhere of course. Best of luck with your shoot AFKLenz3G. :-)

I filmed a short documentary in the tramway last month, we send a mail for a permission to the company, they never answered so we just went for it. We where well prepared and everything went very well, we didn't had any major problem. The crew was small which made everything easier and faster. Be prepared and scout the places you are going to shoot in, so you can solve creative and technical problems before the shoot. Just try to be discret and to always have someone watching out for the police. ;)

AFKLenz3G - Just came across this list of 24 rules from Werner Herzog and remembered your post, they are:

1. Always take the initiative.
2. There is nothing wrong with spending a night in jail if it means getting the shot you need.
3. Send out all your dogs and one might return with prey.
4. Never wallow in your troubles; despair must be kept private and brief.
5. Learn to live with your mistakes.
6. Expand your knowledge and understanding of music and literature, old and modern.
7. That roll of unexposed celluloid you have in your hand might be the last in existence, so do something impressive with it.
8. There is never an excuse not to finish a film.
9. Carry bolt cutters everywhere.
10. Thwart institutional cowardice.
11. Ask for forgiveness, not permission.
12. Take your fate into your own hands.
13. Learn to read the inner essence of a landscape.
14. Ignite the fire within and explore unknown territory.
15. Walk straight ahead, never detour.
16. Manoeuvre and mislead, but always deliver.
17. Don’t be fearful of rejection.
18. Develop your own voice.
19. Day one is the point of no return.
20. A badge of honor is to fail a film theory class.
21. Chance is the lifeblood of cinema.
22. Guerrilla tactics are best.
23. Take revenge if need be.
24. Get used to the bear behind you.

http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/carry-bolt-cutters-everywhere-werner-herzog-has-24-amazing-pieces-of-advice-20150116