New Nikon D5500

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

I know most of you guys aren't interested but I am, I love the D5300 and it's to date my favourite personal shooter, even vs the a7s,  it's just a lovely image. So if anyone could get his hands on a D5500 please report back. Hopefully with a few seconds ungraded file with the new Flat/log profile. Although Nikon video specs don't impress at first they seem to make a big jump in video quality & ergonomicss with every new model for some reason, that's why I am interested in real-life experience with the D5500 and don't care about specs. Most of the reviews online know nothing about video. The touch to focus seems to be impressing people in video mode and they say it's not that far behind the 70D DPAF (whihc is a life saver!)

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

To be honest, the D5200 was pretty great (quite the substantial upgrade from the D5100) and they then left out the optical low pass filter thereafter on the D5300 and included Expeed 4 processing, making it even better.

But I'm pretty sure the change from D5500 is more about usability than picture quality. Performance in terms of sensor, processing and AF-system sound the exact same (and Nikon not claiming otherwise!). So the jump you're expecting in the video department, I'm not sure if you'll get it.

I mean, touchscreen is a nice add-on, but I hardly ever use touch on the GH4. I've got my double dials, WB/ISO/exposure comp under a touch of a finger already. And I use a lot of manual only glass, so touch focus is not really applicable most of the time anyways, nothing wrong with doing things manually. Monocoque body... well, I never killed a camera of any sorts, so I don't really mind a somewhat lesser build quality. They also seem to got rid of the GPS and all in all, the D5500 is a bit slimmed down from the D5300. The flat profile might be something interesting, but I'm not sure if it does what I think it does. I've read somewhere that in this profile you'll have more intermediate steps to dial down or up things like sharpness for more control?

If you're looking for image quality out of the D5500, I'd say to just look at footage out of a D5300, which you already know what it's capable of. If you want to see the touch AF in action, then ok, wait for the D5500 videos to pop up. Which I guess will take a while, I'm pretty sure they're not in stock at stores already.

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Also remember that they come with fortunate surprises. I wouldn't be shocked if the D5500 has a better video image, sharper, better lowlight, better codec, they do get significantly better everytime really. I hope some can just make a quick test. Andrew pretty please? 

Nikon is a bit strange in terms of what you get of the same sensor like for example of the D7100/D5200. They are supposed to share the same sensor (with the banding issue) but in terms of video sharpness they are quite different. The D5200 is considered a little bit soft (not canon soft) while as you can see of my test here http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?310503-Nikon-D7100-vs-Panasonic-gh2-sharpness  the D7100 is nearly Gh2 level in this blind test where it was so close that not a lot got it right or wanted to commit. I don't know if it is intentional by Nikon but we will have to test each camera out to be sure.

The touch screen is interesting overall as it is a welcome addition for a less pro body with less physical button. For video Nikon specified that they had enhance the liveview performance, perhaps the touch screen might be and improvement for focusing for video. As for the D7200 it might be a very compelling video slr as rumour site are saying that it will be possible to change aperture in video mode. If it is as sharp, moire/alias free and banding free it might become a very compelling video slr for about $ 1000... except for peaking!!!!!!!!!!

That comes to the latest subject about Nikon Firmware program. Perhaps we should petition them so that they implement features like peaking and even some more highend features like 10 bit, higher internal bitrate, waveform monitoring or even raw  etc even for paid update.