Dell IPS 4K monitor

AaronChicago

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

It does seem nice. Most of all, it seems to have a good price/performance ratio. I've done a super quick research and most seem happy with it. I'll check out Dell's UltraSharp next and see what differs.

Daisy-chaning will drop the monitor to 30Hz, so that won't work. I have a R9 280X 3GB in my MacPro and it should be able to drive two of these. 

While super high end monitors are nice, I've always thought that it's a high price to pay since everyone else will be watching whatever you create on a consumer monitor/TV (in most cases). Like most review say: ticks the boxes 60Hz, SST with good gamut at the right price.

I also just purchased the same monitor, I'm guessing your running windows 7? Any idea how to make the GUI in Davinci Resolve not tiny?

​You may have to just change your resolution until the next update. As much as love Resolve, the interface could definitely stand to be more customizable.

• 2 weeks later...

On sale this is a tempting monitor - been shopping for a 4k for casual viewing. Looks better than most of the other 4k monitors in this price range.  Wish it was wide gamut, but you can't have everything at this price. Paired with a wide gamut display for color critical work - this is a great deal!

Is 4K really usable on 27? I was thinking about the same monitor, but I have 23 inch FHD Dell monitor atm, and scaling is just fine in Windows 7. I don't really want to get my eyes strained when I switch to 4K.

​i'm not sure i know what you mean by usable. The UI scales so it's the same size as a normal monitor. It's just that you see no pixels. Sorta like the jump from the iPhone 3G to the 4 retina display.

Hey Chris, I can tell you that colors/detail/gamma look better than the UltraSharp series. I actually hooked up my old Dell U2410 next to it and laughed b/c it looked so shitty. I've been very pleased.

​I ordered one, thanks for the tip. Just got a Mac Pro and this looks like it will be a sweet photo and video editing monitor  

Chris

​Yes. Dell says it can run 2 at 60hz. I ordered a 2nd one so I'll see if thats true Friday.

​I'm asking because UHD at 60Hz in a single stream is pretty much on the edge of DP 1.2. Just found this on another forum, it's about IGP-s, and by 4K he means UHD:

"The main requirement for supporting 4K@60 on DP SST (single-stream transport) is that the core display clock (CDCLK), which is configured by SBIOS, must be set high enough to drive the dot clock required by the mode.  Usually 4K@60 has a 536MHz dot clock, so it requires a 540MHz CDCLK.  If the system OEM did not configure the CDCLK at 540MHz for thermal, power saving, or other reasons, then the system will not be able to drive 4K@60 over a single DP stream. Also, Haswell ULT (-U) and ULX (-Y) are limited to 450MHz and 337MHz CDCLK, so they will not be able to do 4K@60 SST."

You can't even be sure with dedicated display cards, the drivers and some say even the cables have to be right. I hope DP 1.3 arrives soon, until then, read forums about working setups if you want UHD@60Hz on SST.

​I'm asking because UHD at 60Hz in a single stream is pretty much on the edge of DP 1.2. Just found this on another forum, it's about IGP-s, and by 4K he means UHD:

"The main requirement for supporting 4K@60 on DP SST (single-stream transport) is that the core display clock (CDCLK), which is configured by SBIOS, must be set high enough to drive the dot clock required by the mode.  Usually 4K@60 has a 536MHz dot clock, so it requires a 540MHz CDCLK.  If the system OEM did not configure the CDCLK at 540MHz for thermal, power saving, or other reasons, then the system will not be able to drive 4K@60 over a single DP stream. Also, Haswell ULT (-U) and ULX (-Y) are limited to 450MHz and 337MHz CDCLK, so they will not be able to do 4K@60 SST."

You can't even be sure with dedicated display cards, the drivers and some say even the cables have to be right. I hope DP 1.3 arrives soon, until then, read forums about working setups if you want UHD@60Hz on SST.

​Hmm. Well I can tell you with 100% certainty that mine works at 60Hz with a single DisplayPort. Still skeptical about daisy chaining a second one, but it'll arrive Friday and I can test it out.