NX1 exposure drift problem FIX

DigitalEd

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I'm on stock firmware, so 1.01 or whatever ships on the camera. The only way I can reproduce the "blooming" effect is by enabling "Framing Guides" in the settings... When that's on I get the slow drift 

​hi guys, first post here, waiting for delivery of my nx1 today, i'm hoping it wont be a body affected by the bug,

i was wondering if someone tried what Stakers wrote here, it looks like nobody read it. Everybody went on just discussing if the videos had exp shift or not, if it's normal or not. And btw, no. It is not normal, even if u pan to an overexposed area. Yes of course the scene will be brighter with brighter lights, but a camera in manual mode MUST not compensate, at all.

Anyway, back to the topic, those of u with the "bug", did you u try to turn off framing guides and see if it's the setting causing the shift?

​Anyway, back to the topic, those of u with the "bug", did you u try to turn off framing guides and see if it's the setting causing the shift?

​Yes.

Been turned off since day 1 on mine...  still drifting...

However did anyone tried disabling "overexposure guide" ?

​Yes.

I pretty much tried everything. Maybe mine was a faulty one and others may not be....I don't know. With the problems I had with it I realized that I don't want to be a beta tester.

I definitely don't blame you on that Ivar. I tested my NX1 a lot more today and I definitely don't have an exposure drift. Now, that's with an old 135mm Soligor adapted to this camera, so things might change with a Samsung attached, although I'm thinking of sticking with all manual lenses with this camera. It's such a nice camera, I've never been a stills photographer, but snapping pics with this thing is joyful, I would hate having to get rid of this due to a few flaws, and I realize an exposure drift is a HUGE flaw. I'm like anybody else in the video production business, I need a reliable piece of equipment, something I can depend upon in the field, and I don't think this camera is there YET. So, what's it all add up to, it adds up to buying another camera and holding on to this and letting it evolve. Just a simple inexpensive1080p camera will get me by on most shoots, and the market is filled with them. That's my plan!

I definitely don't blame you on that Ivar. I tested my NX1 a lot more today and I definitely don't have an exposure drift. Now, that's with an old 135mm Soligor adapted to this camera, so things might change with a Samsung attached, although I'm thinking of sticking with all manual lenses with this camera. It's such a nice camera, I've never been a stills photographer, but snapping pics with this thing is joyful, I would hate having to get rid of this due to a few flaws, and I realize an exposure drift is a HUGE flaw. I'm like anybody else in the video production business, I need a reliable piece of equipment, something I can depend upon in the field, and I don't think this camera is there YET. So, what's it all add up to, it adds up to buying another camera and holding on to this and letting it evolve. Just a simple inexpensive1080p camera will get me by on most shoots, and the market is filled with them. That's my plan!

​I hear ya, it is a wonderful photo camera and I liked it a lot. So much bang for your buck it's awesome. And the video was gorgeous, although a bit contrasty, I agree with Andrew by dialing contrast all the way down you kinda destroy those lovely colours. Loved the 100fps, but only when with shallow dof, too much macroblocking. But for me right now I need to spend my money on something I can rely on for video work. And because mine did the drifting every time I overexposed a bit(white snow,white walls, white clouds) I got scared and realized I didn't want to wait for a fix.

Have fun with your NX1 guys. :)

The other day I decided to upgrade to firmware v.1.10 out of curiosity to see if my camera could also suffer from "the drift" that others were experiencing (I hadn't been able to get my camera to do it at all with the stock v.1.01 firmware unless Framing Guides was turned on). Sure enough, after the firmware update I was able to see it. Sunday morning was the first time I was able to use my NX1 in a real world setting (not just sitting at my computer pointing it at my screen and around the office). Using the NX1 just as I would my BMPCC and old Canon 6D, I saw absolutely no drifting or flickering at all. Shot about 9gb of HVEC footage and it all was exposure drift/flicker free. I'm not sure what kinds of settings you all will be shooting in, but I shoot a lot of "concert" type settings -- I work for a large multicampus church with different kinds of lighting -- and I feel like this camera is going to be great for my work. I put together just a quick 10min edit of some of the footage I got.. Some 4k downscaled, some 1080p @ 120fps and some at 24fps to share with you all. I tried to include shots that would, according to this thread, suffer from the exposure drift/flicker bug:

I've added some grain, wb, and small color corrections to this footage. I can't attest for DR or anything else at the moment as I've only used the camera once for a couple hours on Sunday morning. The NX1 will definitely be a keeper for me, and with the additions that 1.20 will be adding, all the better. The colors are fantastic, the ergonomics great, and stills quality surprisingly good! 

This was also quickly transcoded to h.264 using Samsung's Movie Converter as I haven't had a chance to dig into iffmpeg yet. I also realize that we all shoot different kinds of videos, so take this with a grain of salt... Your style of shooting might suffer from this drift, but I just wanted to share some real world testing. 

I have a stupid question. When you update the firmware, I understand it goes through ilauncher, but what isn't clear from a video on Youtube I watched was if ilauncher actually installs the firmware, or is the firmware from ilauncher put onto the SD card, which you then load to the camera? Sorry for what should be elementary, but this ilauncher thing is all new to me.

Thank you for that Stalker! The user guide shows using ilauncher and nothing about doing it this way, which is the way I've done it for every DSLR I've ever owned. First, I did try the ilauncher way, and it would keep giving me a "Insert an SD card and try FW again." It would never recognize that a formatted SD card was already in the camera. Don't know what ilauncher is all about when you can do it this way.

This is what I did, maximum safety.

Format the card in camera, plug it into iLauncher, download firmware file into camera. 

Plug camera into wall charger, turn on, navigate to Device Information > Software Update > Update Body Firmware.

Enjoy the firmware goodness :-) 

Just noticed too, went back into my NX1 just now, under that heading there is now an option for Update Firmware over WiFi. So the next one should be even easier to install.

Yes, it is a bit out of topic and that's my fault, I didn't want to start a new thread on this, so my bad. I'll finish here by saying, when I got the error prompt with ilauncher while updating the firmware saying I needed a SD card, when in fact, there was a formatted one within the camera, that pretty much answered my question as to how ilauncher works. ilauncher does not load the firmware directly to the camera, it couldn't, because if you lost internet connection, you'd be screwed, rather, it just loads the .BIN file to the SD card, which you then load to the camera. So, ilauncher is pretty much useless. Reading the manual, they're adamant that you use ilauncher to perform a firmware update. Not needed, as Stalker mentioned, you update it like any other DSLR, full battery, format card, download zip, drag .BIN file to the root level of the SD card, load card to camera, update.