NX1 exposure drift problem FIX

DigitalEd

A static shot should not flicker like that, period. This has nothing to do if he used a nd or high shutter or just closed down the iris  to compensate, that flicker is not normal IF all settings in the camera are manual and if they are not changed during the shot, none of my camera's I ever had display this issue and I have shot at the beach right into the sun as well.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

All pretty interesting stuff, and the plot gets thicker! Still don't have a lens to test my new NX1 out yet. What I am curious about is DigitalEd's lens going out of focus. Can you explain that one a little more DE? Set to fully manual, how can that lens change focus if you're not even touching the focus barrel? Has to be an AF function going on somewhere, no?

A static shot should not flicker like that, period. This has nothing to do if he used a nd or high shutter or just closed down the iris  to compensate, that flicker is not normal IF all settings in the camera are manual and if they are not changed during the shot, none of my camera's I ever had display this issue and I have shot at the beach right into the sun as well.

I have to agree with that. It would be interesting if that same scene shot with an ND stopped the flicker. Well, I think just like BMPCC with the black dots in high contrast, we owners of this camera are at the hands of Samsung acknowledging the problem and fixing it....FAST. I have to think this is why the update hasn't posted yet, they, Samsung, realize there's more here to fix, he said with a grin! 

You know, I didn't even put flicker and exposure drift together -- I just thought it was a flicker and had imagined the exposure drift as being something different in my mind.  There's definitely exposure drift.

I ran some numbers on the still frames from ProRes clips exported as 16-bit TIFFs.

Two bright frames (L / R / G / B average + SD).  The total range is 0-65535

A. 48059 + 17964 / 44718+17233 / 46517+17824 / 47545+18283
B. 48059 + 17967 / 44718+17235 / 46517+17824 / 47545+18285

So it's pretty close.  Then you get to the flicker.  First, the brightness drops by 1.18%

C. 47288 + 17952 / 43497+17231 / 45746+17810 / 47031+18252  (total range is 0-65535)

Then the red frame gets messed up with the range from 257-65535 instead of 0-65535

D. 47288 + 17951 / 43974+17233 / 45746+17810 / 47031+18252

The error in the lower limit of the red channel suggests that there may be an encoding error.   I'm going to see if I can transcode directly to TIFFs instead of ProRes and will follow-up.

​I barely have a clue what you are on about, and I am sure 99% of the people who read this will not understand either.

You will have to be gentler than that for people to understand.

But I suppose as long as you conclude that there is a problem occurring that is good.

Sometimes, often in fact, we shoot into areas that are overexposed. This is one of the things with video and limited DR,  in uncontrolled environments (beaches are classic examples). This is not an issue for ND filters. This is a firmware issue that Samsung needs to deal with it if this cam is going to realize its potential.

Well, I'm withdrawing from the discussion, this is getting too wild for me. ND Filters? C'mon, sure I know about filters, this has nothing to do with filters. Enjoy the camcorder. :D

​No one is saying it is are they? I just have never seen footage posted that used a ND filter and I'm curious what it looks like, no big deal.

​I barely have a clue what you are on about, and I am sure 99% of the people who read this will not understand either.

You will have to be gentler than that for people to understand.

But I suppose as long as you conclude that there is a problem occurring that is good.

Well, I *was* shooting in auto mode -- so it may not be 100% a bug.  The flickering is happening faster than I would expect a traditional auto-exposure mode to deal with...

Those numbers quantify how much flickering there is. The signal only dips by 1.18%.  So even thought it LOOKS bad visually, electrically* the difference is 1.18%.

We can see those differences thanks to the precision of the HEVC encoding, and it's possible that other cameras have similar problems which we just aren't noticing.

All pretty interesting stuff, and the plot gets thicker! Still don't have a lens to test my new NX1 out yet. What I am curious about is DigitalEd's lens going out of focus. Can you explain that one a little more DE? Set to fully manual, how can that lens change focus if you're not even touching the focus barrel? Has to be an AF function going on somewhere, no?

​Its fixed  with the new firmware and makes focusing faster then ever. I did not try they yesterday i should of  i tested it a lot today.

The new Manual focus on and Manual focus off feature in the new firmware seems to fix the lens focus shifting problem. In place of Manual focusing on something you can use the auto focus on to get focus then push the button to set it to Manual Focus on and the lens is locked at that focus area. As much as i tried i could not get it to shift when done like this it seems to hold power to the lens holding the focus in.. Great to see. So you never turn off the auto focus on the lens it now locks the focus for you like you are in manual focus. But if you are in manual focus on and you want to manually change the focus you can do that to so if you want to slowly focus on another item by hand you can.. This gives you the best of both. Use the auto focus on for a quick auto focus then lock it in...Very good Samsung I will be keeping my 16x50 after all.

Well, I *was* shooting in auto mode -- so it may not be 100% a bug.  The flickering is happening faster than I would expect a traditional auto-exposure mode to deal with...

Those numbers quantify how much flickering there is. The signal only dips by 1.18%.  So even thought it LOOKS bad visually, electrically* the difference is 1.18%.

We can see those differences thanks to the precision of the HEVC encoding, and it's possible that other cameras have similar problems which we just aren't noticing.

​Thanks for the simpler explanation.  Hopefully the update will fix these issues.

Owning the NX1 leads to schizophrenia. One moment we own the greatest camera ever, the next moment we own a doorstop. 

​I hear that! I think without testing out your own camera, you have to take what is posted here with a grain of salt, why? An example would be GXAlan, obviously a camera in auto mode is going to compensate at will. With that being said, I'm not knocking his post, but rather using that as an example how what you read on this thread can be taken out of context because, we the reader, have no clue how the tested camera is setup.

• Administrators

Digital Ed, thanks for the updates and the link to download the firmware.

I am mighty curious as to where it came from.

The v1.2 firmware you provide does indeed install and give me the new features on my NX1. However if it is a leak or a beta version you should tell us.

I see no difference between Gamma C and Gamma DR, which can't be right. Surely.

Here is a video right out of the camera uploaded to vimeo showing the new focus on and off feature. Turn up the sound and you can hear the clicking as i turn on and off the focus.

This was shot in the new HD Pro setting i have another one i am working on also shot in the new HD Pro

Andrew i DL the new update from a link posted on the NX1 group on Facebook. I see no difference in the Gamma's ether.

• Administrators

Did the Facebook group guys say where they got it?

I have a ton of material shot and articles prepared but don't want to piss off Samsung by advocating the download of dodgy leaked firmware on the blog.

Was it officially online at Samsung but then pulled later?

There's a trivial bit of difference between the profiles but it's tiny and disappears when I play with the master black level, which has a larger impact.

From what i read it was out by Samsung but only if you DL from your camera by WiFi into the camera but was not out yet on the hook camera to PC to DL so then a few sites DL and posted it for people to grab. Then the next day or so it was taken down.

This is one site that had the first info on it.

http://www.sammobile.com/2015/01/15/samsung-nx1-firmware-v1-20-now-available-for-download-heres-the-feature-list/