NX1 exposure drift problem FIX

DigitalEd

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

What's so funny about it? Yeah, maybe we're all splitting hairs, who knows. But, before you all throw in a bunch of nasty comments, it's apparent to me that some of the test footage posted has drift and others, I personally, just don't see it. Obviously, Agolex's post definitely shows the camera making a compensation, but DigitalEd's candle test, I just don't see it. What I do see in DigitalEd's candle test is a washed out bottom right-hand corner, perhaps a lens flare, I don't know, and it doesn't matter. I've pretty much come to the conclusion this shift isn't happening on all NX1's, again, that's just my own conclusion, whether it's right or wrong, who knows. I thank those that have posted their findings and their opinions.

I just shot another test one with the last firmware and then the same test with the new firmware.  It looks a little better it seems to be controlling the over brightness better now but if you go to super bright it still blooms as its to much but maybe now its not as much as it did.  Will have to test more and use the new settings as well,

I one weird thing focus peaking seems to just turn on at times when panning with out touching the lens happened a few times maybe i have something set wrong.

I just shot another test one with the last firmware and then the same test with the new firmware.  It looks a little better it seems to be controlling the over brightness better now but if you go to super bright it still blooms as its to much but maybe now its not as much as it did.  Will have to test more and use the new settings as well,

I one weird thing focus peaking seems to just turn on at times when panning with out touching the lens happened a few times maybe i have something set wrong.

​Jesus, Samsung needs to fix the basics first, then worry about all the cool add ons with the firmware. 

but DigitalEd's candle test, I just don't see it.

​Just look at the second video Ed posted on the first page of this thread, there it is very obvious. For Ed this was just blooming and "normal" but it isn't, the camera is compensating, just like in Agolex example. I didn't even need to see another example to know this wasn't normal behavior of a camera in full manual mode.

I again have to concur that this camera suffers from exposure shifts as long as there is a little bit of overexposure somewhere in the frame. 

I shot a few interviews in NY and latin america these past few weeks and sometimes it was hell. Now this is not a deal breaker for me, but it was very tricky to use sometimes and played with my nerves. But again I love this camera - much more than the GH4 for ex.

@neosushi

which firmware are you running? 

I'm on v.101 -- tried to update the first night I had it, but the software wasn't having it, so I've just left it at stock firmware. I'm not seeing any of this issue with my copy of the camera. This is just a quick test yesterday at the park...

Not the best video, but shows that going through the sun back to the leaves, there's not drifting happening. There's some definite lens flares going on.. the only lens I have to use at the moment is an old m42 lens that flares like crazy... but no drifting. 

But Brian, it's only $1.500! That's quite reasonable for a doorstop with AC wi-fi. :P

Can't see myself shooting in Auto modes. Hope the firmware comes one of these days, have 5 more on my return policy. After that it's finally a7s and the horrible ergonomics. :P

@neosushi

which firmware are you running? 

I'm on v.101 -- tried to update the first night I had it, but the software wasn't having it, so I've just left it at stock firmware. I'm not seeing any of this issue with my copy of the camera. This is just a quick test yesterday at the park...

Not the best video, but shows that going through the sun back to the leaves, there's not drifting happening. There's some definite lens flares going on.. the only lens I have to use at the moment is an old m42 lens that flares like crazy... but no drifting. 

​Im using the latest firmware for both my lens and camera. I'll upload a video when i got time :)

Perhaps this is a better video to show... Higher contrast, pans, tilts, on a tripod, and wider lens. Still not seeing any drift..

Here's another example. Higher contrast between subjects, pans, tilts, tripod, and wider lens. Not seeing any drift. Again, I'm on firmware v1.01

​Much better, thanks for the effort. Yeah, it's probably like some people said before: issue is not as present with the old firmware. Or even with some units. Oh boy, what a chaos. :D

Most of the drift I notice in my videos are on tripod shots - no movement. 

Weird...

​Doesn't make a difference for me as well, the strangest moments are when the camera is mostly still and starts going crazy with the shifting (as seen in one of the videos I've posted earlier on).

I mean, generally, technology nowadays is an uncontrollable beast. Even the forum, at times it just logs me out or doesn't allow me to post saying it's saving. :D

I have the new firmware loaded in now for what i tested last night i need to test more but i do think it is controlled better now then before but if its to bright past the camera setting it still blooms as it should maybe a little less now. Just dont shoot things that are way over exposed then you should not see not have any problems.  The new color settings look nice from what little i tested last night. 

I really want to test the New HD Pro and see how that is to and set different black levels and see what they do now.

You can now set the back turn dial to control your audio levels. I like that but i was using that dial for setting my ISO so i need to come up with a new custom button for ISO