NX1 exposure drift problem FIX

DigitalEd

I get in my second NX1 camera today and it was having the exposure drift problem so after setting it to the same settings as my other one i found the one thing that is making the problem a extra menu of items with one setting that needs to be changed..

Here is what i posted on Facebook

Look at the back of the camera lcd you will see a arrow at the top of the screen in the center. Tap on it and turn off auto display brightness.. that was the only other setting my older camera had changed and now with auto display brightness turned off it no longer has a exposure problem no more jumping up and down and this fixes the recorded video to..

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I remember Canon having in an issue with their 5DmkIII as well: http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer?pageKeyCode=prdAdvDetail&docId=0901e02480538fc7&WT.mc_id=C126149 . As long as it is being recognized and dealt with, I hope it works out for all parties involved. Releasing the firmware with a lot of stuff addressed looks promising from Samsung's side though. It's nice of a manufacturer to listen and actually do something with feedback. I hope they keep it up.

I still say it is not a problem

Here is some extreme exposure testing i did all with no exposure drift problems. Only some light blooming you would expect to see with this much bright light no exposure drift going on . This is my last test on this its just not a problem

I only watched the first minute and saw that this definitely looks like a exposure compensation made by your camera, it was most clear at that door around 00:30. That " light blooming" you are referring to is that exposure shift. That is absolutely not normal behavior for a camera in manual mode. Weird thing is the camera overexposes once it hits a brighter area, if it was in automode I would expect the opposite.

When you add in this much bright light into the lens what would you expect it to do as the camera is panned across the bright light it brings in the light more at some points then other angles showing a change but the exposure is not changing at all only the angle and brightness of the light is changing that is coming into the lens.

The camera is not compensating for anything if it was it would knock the brightness down but it is blooming up as it moves into more bright light because it can not knock it down as it is in manual.

If i set the camera to say Program then it will auto knock down the brightness by bringing up the F stop and or shutter speed and change it again as it moves back to the darker areas. In the video it shows that this is not happening it is not auto fixing itself it is working as it should.

I do not know of any camera that uses a chip that would perform any different with this much light blasting at it.

I was shooting at F2.8 so when it hits the bright light area this is more then any camera can take so it blooms up the light as it hits the sensor this is normal.

Just look at that bottle at 01:40 how the exposure changes everytime you tilt up and down, the exposure on the bottle doesn't stay the same, it gets darker and lighter and I see that in every scene, never seen this kind of behavior on my camera's with manual exposure. Your first video showed much worse exposure shifts but after your fix it still is not completely gone from what I can see.

The camera is not compensating for anything if it was it would knock the brightness down but it is blooming up as it moves into more bright light because it can not knock it down as it is in manual.

​I just ordered this camera, and in my opinion, I don't like what I see with that drift. And yes, in my opinion your video still has a camera compensation going on. In fully manual, that exposure should not bloom what-so-ever, ZERO. That definitely has a blooming going on.

Maybe Andrew can chime in on this one, but my opinion that is an issue.

With the extreme brightness difference of the test any camera would bloom up.. this is the kind of shooting you should never do.

If you go from F1.8 to F2.8 at a 40th of a second and move it to a bright F16 of light it is going to bloom or make you think the camera is doing some compensation the sensor can not handle this much of a light change no camera can.

If it was optical bloom it would be instantaneous. There wouldnt be a delay as happens in your second video. As people have said it isnt compensation because it drifts the wrong way. It is the samsung nx1 exposure drift bug, and we should refer to it as such until it has been fixed. Hopefully the upcoming update will do it. It does seem to be related to the metering ability of the camera. The first video looks like it shifts when the centre point goes over the door window.