NX1 exposure drift problem FIX

DigitalEd

On 8/9/2016 at 8:03 PM, tugela said:

The reason you don't see it in live view in stills mode is because the aperture is wide open all the time. In video it is stopped down to the set value, and that is when the adjustments are made. With an electronic lens this is done independently. A true cine lens will have mechanical gearing to do it, but that is a more expensive option. Consequently modern electronic lenses designed primarily for stills just use the independent control. If it is really an issue for you then try using an old mechanical lens, although you will of course lose autofocus.

There was a thread about two months ago discussing this very issue, that you participated in, so you should know all of this already.

Anyway something is not right here. There should be zero difference between live view in still and video mode. Still mode previews the picture "as is" (shooting mode or whatever it's called is off) so the aperture is what you see, it's locked. UNLESS the aperture is set to maximum and exposure preview is done via software which i doubt. 
I'll have to recheck this because I'm not convinced.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
28 minutes ago, sandro said:

Anyway something is not right here. There should be zero difference between live view in still and video mode. Still mode previews the picture "as is" (shooting mode or whatever it's called is off) so the aperture is what you see, it's locked. UNLESS the aperture is set to maximum and exposure preview is done via software which i doubt. 
I'll have to recheck this because I'm not convinced.

No, the aperture is wide open in stills mode in live view. To see what it will look like with the aperture closed, there is a button on the lower front right side that you need to press to preview the actual image. That is what that button is for, it activates the aperture to the set value. Normally it is wide open unless you are actually recording.

1 hour ago, tugela said:

No, the aperture is wide open in stills mode in live view. To see what it will look like with the aperture closed, there is a button on the lower front right side that you need to press to preview the actual image. That is what that button is for, it activates the aperture to the set value. Normally it is wide open unless you are actually recording.

I just tried and you're right. Thanks I didn't know about this behavior. 

• 5 months later...

January 2017, I'm on a big longterm job and my NX1 is exposure drifting like crazy. Has a definitive fix been found yet? I tried all suggestions, auto display brightness off, different metering settings, everything is in full manual mode. I'm on firmware 1.4 and shooting with the 16-50 S. Should I update to 1.41 or perhaps try the hack?

• 2 months later...

FWIW, I think I have isolated the cause, and what to do to stop the exposure drift when it occurs.

It seems to be something related to the mode dial. Even though it's on M mode and locked, every now and then exposure drift will happen on my NX1. I found now that if I twist the mode dial slightly, or unlock it, turn it away and back to M, the drifting stops.

Hope this helps.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

I do not know about the issue, but it is well known that the NX dials are failing all the time. My old NX300 failed last year (I gave it to a friend  in 2015 though, so it didn't happen in my hands), and my NX500 starts acting up. My 2 NX1's are fine (and the one is heavily used) so far.. This is the most serious issue people are having with the NX system.

In general ALL their cameras are very robust and well made (if you open one, you will be surprised how good and clean their internal's design is, and after so many hours of video recording in highest temperatures they work fine) and it is annoying that they failed in probably the most irrelevant part of their design. So stupid..

It's only happened to me once so far, and thank heavens it was only during testing. Still, a scary proposition. Once (during filming) I had everything go purple and green on me. Thankfully, it only affected the screen and not the actual footage. It has never happened since. 

If it's related to hardware, there will be no fix unless you open up the body and see if contacts are dusty. If it's related to software thresholds, there could be a fix but that's not coming from Samsung, so start doing the dial dance. :)