Editing H.265 (Samsung NX1)

cjwilliams0013

I will be getting this camera for projects at work. I am also in the market to get a system that can handle the H.265 files. Has anyone tried transcoding/editing these files with a current maxed out MBP 15'? I would like to try to avoid getting a desktop because my job requires me to move around a lot. 

Thanks

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Well, if you wan to import it into some NLEs , that may not be realized until now. Since this codec is not wide spreaded. Or you can try some convert apps to help you. I recently have tried a app called video converter from pav, but it just has the Win version. And also the output format is only MP4. Oh, here is a video for you:)

Because of the H.265 It will need to be converted. My question was more aimed if the MacBook Pro 15in maxed out can handle the transcode process decently or if I really need to go to a desktop where I can have a more powerful machine. My goal would be to stay with a Laptop because of my travel requirements, but if a desktop would be necessary I could manage.

Because of the H.265 It will need to be converted. My question was more aimed if the MacBook Pro 15in maxed out can handle the transcode process decently or if I really need to go to a desktop where I can have a more powerful machine. My goal would be to stay with a Laptop because of my travel requirements, but if a desktop would be necessary I could manage.

Grab some samples and try them!

• Administrators

What year of Macbook Pro 15?

2013/14 Retina will work fine. It's CPU dependant and these have not got much faster in the last few years. You'd need to go to a Mac Pro to notice any significant improvement.

Download iFFMPEG, grab some H.265 files from the NX1 and give it a go.

If it's too slow then remember you'll need a pretty significant desktop workstation to go any faster so don't be too hard on it.

I usually transcode over night if I have a lot of material to get through, rather than wait for the progress bar to tick along in front of me!!

What year of Macbook Pro 15?

2013/14 Retina will work fine. It's CPU dependant and these have not got much faster in the last few years. You'd need to go to a Mac Pro to notice any significant improvement.

Download iFFMPEG, grab some H.265 files from the NX1 and give it a go.

If it's too slow then remember you'll need a pretty significant desktop workstation to go any faster so don't be too hard on it.

I usually transcode over night if I have a lot of material to get through, rather than wait for the progress bar to tick along in front of me!!

​I would be buying it new so it would be the most recent 2014 version. Its a shame intel has abandoned their pro chipsets for mobile and low power, but I think you are right Andrew. I will test some clips and let it do the work overnight, the next step up from the MBPr would be the Mac Pro.

​That's totally overkill doing it to ProRes 4444.

Use a 1 pass encoding to ProRes LT​

I then tried H265->ProRes 422 HQ using ffmpeg.  That's been the best workflow for me so far, but you definitely get some weird artifacts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYFBuDUbVaQ or https://vimeo.com/116520230

If you look at 2:19, there's a dark spot in the center of the sun.  That gets introduced by the ProRes transcoding.  It's not present in the original HEVC or Samsung H264 converted files.

I then tried H265->ProRes 422 HQ using ffmpeg.  That's been the best workflow for me so far, but you definitely get some weird artifacts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYFBuDUbVaQ or https://vimeo.com/116520230

If you look at 2:19, there's a dark spot in the center of the sun.  That gets introduced by the ProRes transcoding.  It's not present in the original HEVC or Samsung H264 converted files.

​That reminds me of the "old days" when FCP users had to transcode 5DMKII H264 to ProRes and I heard some colleagues complaining about occassional artifacts due to the 5DMKII's "poor H264 implementation". At the time I was already using PremierePro and never came across them. I suppose we'll have to start the flux condenser and fast forward in time to an Adobe update to edit H265 natively...

• 3 months later...