Alternatives to Rode Videmic Pro

Stab

So I'm in the market for a (cheap) shotgun microphone that I will mainly use to record the priest / speaker during wedding ceremonies and for voices of people up close. Actually, I won't use it so much on the camera itself.

The reason why the Rode Videomic Pro comes to mind as a possible canditate, is because of it's +20 DB setting. This gives much better and especially 'cleaner' audio when recording directly to the camera, in this case a GH3 or a G6.

So actually, it doesn't need to be a on-camera-mic but it should be a good sounding shotgun, like the Videomic Pro, with a hot noiseless signal. The +20 DB and the price are the only reasons I'm after the videomic, so maybe you guys know any similary prices alternatives?

There is the Shure VP83(F) lenshopper which is around the same price. Again an on-camera-mic, with a +20 db setting. There is also the 'F' version which has it's own flash recorder built-in, which is very nice but a bit more pricey.

See here:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/966010-REG/shure_vp83f_condenser_shotgun_mic.html

Any other mics I should consider?
I don't want to use lavs and if possible no other mics which require senders / receivers. I would like to use it directly plugged in to the camera so again, a 'hot' signal is required.

If you know anything, let me know.
Thanks!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

*(forgot you said it didn't need to be on camera)

http://www.amazon.com/TAKSTAR-SGC-598-Photography-Interview-Microphone/dp/B00E58AA0I/ref=sr_1_sc_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1420751673&sr=8-2-spell&keywords=takstar+shot+gun+mic

$35. its got a +10Db switch

I bought one of these just to check it out and to have better backup sound when recording to separate devices. Ive seen some pretty good comparisons on youtube between this and the Rode Video Mic (not the pro one i think). Its really not too bad, considering the price. Pretty good indoors. I dont really have that great of an ear for picking up small differences in audio equipment though, so I am not the best person to ask.

I think I read some where that this mic is manufactured by the same company that manufactures Rode's stuff too. not sure though

I've got the same as John just mentioned (Takstar is a pretty big brand in CN, http://takstar.tmall.com , the HI2050 and Pro80 for example are pretty popular (head-fi) headphones as well) and a HTDZ HT-81 shotgun mic (eBay) paired with a Zoom H1.

Also tried the PL-MIC02 from iShoot, this one is utter crap though. But the Takstar SGC-598 I'd say is a fair option.

​On a mic stand?  Boom?  If you need to get an innocuous mic into a wedding ceremony, shouldn't it be a wireless lav system?

​Yes usually we use a small mic stand on the table of the speaker. Very 'minimal' setup IMO.

​Yes usually we use a small mic stand on the table of the speaker. Very 'minimal' setup IMO.

I know you don't want to do it, but the best audio solution would be a wireless lav.  I don't think you'd be able to grab better audio with a shotgun in a big room.  You can use a shotgun such as the MKH-416, but unless it's close to the subject it's not going to sound all that great.  Cutting corners on getting good audio would be a mistake IMHO.  For what it's worth, I've used the Sennheiser ew100 without any problems for a few years.  Good luck regardless!

Are you going to be running the mic into the camera via a long cable, or into a nearby recorder? Either way, you're going to be running some kind of cable, so think about buying a wired lav mic, which would be much cheaper than a wireless system. Keep in mind that running a 1/8" cable long distances may introduce noise into your signal.

I know you don't want to do it, but the best audio solution would be a wireless lav.  I don't think you'd be able to grab better audio with a shotgun in a big room.  You can use a shotgun such as the MKH-416, but unless it's close to the subject it's not going to sound all that great.  Cutting corners on getting good audio would be a mistake IMHO.  For what it's worth, I've used the Sennheiser ew100 without any problems for a few years.  Good luck regardless!

​At the moment we use my friend's Sennheiser ME66 with a wireless sender / receiver and then use that directly into the GH3 or G6. So no preamp there. That sounds really great. We position it on the table of the speaker, so never more than 50 cm / 2 feet from the subject. We've always been really happy with the result.

I want to buy something similar, but I don't have the budget at the moment for the ME66, power module and wireless solution. But it has been proven that this setup works.

So a shotgun mic with 80% of the quality (like a Rode Videmic Pro for instance), directly into the camera or a nearby recorder (I have a Zoom R8) will probably sound very very decent. I just want to be able to plug it in directly into the camera as well when the situation permits, for obvious reasons. Saves time in editing.

So uhm, why not the Rode video mic pro?

:)

It will probably be the Rode, but I'm hoping to hear some alternatives as well. Maybe even better quality, cheaper, etc. What I don't like about the Rode is the clumsy shockmount, the use of a 9v battery and the lack of any battery life indication.

Anyone having experience with the Shure VP83? Is it a better mic?
Or even the Rode videomic GO? Which is much cheaper and doesn't need a battery?

I'm hoping to hear some alternatives as well. Maybe even better quality, cheaper, etc.

Here's the Azden SGM2x on location from a b-roll excerpt.  You can see my co-director in the upper left of the screen holding the shotgun about 3.5 feet from the guy at which she points the mic, and the pickup the mic gets from the woman in which she does NOT aim the shotgun.  The mic was plugged directly into a Zoom H1.

The audio compression of these clips I made is probably too high, but this should give you a hint at real-world performance:  http://www.path88files.com/Mieko/TESTS/Chikori-San_Printer1_bRoll.mp4

Also, here's that ew100 lav wireless in action with the H1.  Personally, I can't imagine a shooter not wanting some sort of wireless mic system!  http://www.path88files.com/Mieko/TESTS/Chikori-San_Printer_1.mp4

Here's the Azden SGM2x on location from a b-roll excerpt.  You can see my co-director in the upper left of the screen holding the shotgun about 3.5 feet from the guy at which she points the mic, and the pickup the mic gets from the woman in which she does NOT aim the shotgun.  The mic was plugged directly into a Zoom H1.

The audio compression of these clips I made is probably too high, but this should give you a hint at real-world performance:  http://www.path88files.com/Mieko/TESTS/Chikori-San_Printer1_bRoll.mp4

Also, here's that ew100 lav wireless in action with the H1.  Personally, I can't imagine a shooter not wanting some sort of wireless mic system!  http://www.path88files.com/Mieko/TESTS/Chikori-San_Printer_1.mp4

​Really beneficial and helpful information and I will use this as a guide. What camera and lens (if you remember) were you shooting with for this project. The colors and look for the interview are outstanding. 

​Really beneficial and helpful information and I will use this as a guide. What camera and lens (if you remember) were you shooting with for this project. The colors and look for the interview are outstanding. 

​It's ungraded footage from the Panasonic Gx7.  Their "Standard" color setting with color and contrast tuned all the way down (-5).  It's the Olympus 45mm m43 lens on the interview.  I think the footage looks good because that particular room had a decent mix of soft ambient daylight, some non-harsh fluorescent adding some nice fill, and it all falls off into darkness deeper in the background, giving subjects in the middle of the room nice contrast separation from the background.  All I did for the interview shot at this location was add some mild backlight.  Even though I like my gx7, I'd give more credit to the lighting available at that location than the gear!