Samsung NX1 Firmware 1.20 Coming Soon

nougat

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Yep, read about the update coming, and all of Andrews first impressions of this camera and sold my GH4 today and ordered the Samsung! My guess is this camera will go on back order very soon once everyone realizes it's potential. Get it while it's hot.

And, I'm waiting for an Andrew Reid user guide for this camera! Hint...hint!

So Samsung is giving us their own SML = Samsung Magic Lantern space? :)

Yes big "THANK TO YOU MAGIC LANTERN!" and all the other wonderfull camera hacking comunities.

Hope this attitude will last at Samsung team and some marketing big head will not cripple it sooner or later.

Hi everybody.  I was at CES today and at the Samsung CES booth where they had some NX1 cameras mounted around a photo booth with a couple of models in a living room setting.  I happened to notice that the Samsung people did not have the NX1 SD card slot glued shut so I slipped in my own SD card and made some video using the Gamma Normal, Gamma C, and Gamma DR profiles that is in the 1.2 pre-release firmware.  I thought that I would share them with all of you.  Before I made the video, I performed a RESET ALL on the camera so I would be shooting with pristine default settings.  Attached are the screen grabs of the video playing in KODI/XBMC of my MacBook Pro.

Take note of how the black colors in the picture frame that is on the bookshelf to the left of the model's head perform under Gamma DR and Gamma C, and Gamma Normal.

You can get the raw H.265 files from my MediaFire file share:

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/63s4q7yuwp7nk/CES2015_NX1

GammaC.png

GammaDR.png

GammaNormal.png

Bravo, Christie English! Nice ninja work! It's greatly appreciated.

You can see a little bit more detail in the picture with GammaDR. It'll be interesting to see how different the modes perform in 4k. With a quick peek, it feels like GammaNormal is the sharpest of the three.

@ ChristieEnglish - Thanks posting this - I really appreciate you taking time to share this!

GammaDR is looking good. It seems to have some latitude to play with when I push the image around in Abobe Bridge.

Well done Samsung!

I believe this is what is called Cine-Gamma rather than Log-Gamma.  But I could have my terms wrong. Hopefully they will give us an even flatter Log style picture profile in a future firmware release. This looks to be a definite step in the right direction and maybe even better for people who want a bit more dynamic range without having to totally tweak with the colors in the post.

• Administrators

Hi everybody.  I was at CES today and at the Samsung CES booth where they had some NX1 cameras mounted around a photo booth with a couple of models in a living room setting.  I happened to notice that the Samsung people did not have the NX1 SD card slot glued shut so I slipped in my own SD card and made some video using the Gamma Normal, Gamma C, and Gamma DR profiles that is in the 1.2 pre-release firmware.  I thought that I would share them with all of you.  Before I made the video, I performed a RESET ALL on the camera so I would be shooting with pristine default settings.  Attached are the screen grabs of the video playing in KODI/XBMC of my MacBook Pro.

Take note of how the black colors in the picture frame that is on the bookshelf to the left of the model's head perform under Gamma DR and Gamma C, and Gamma Normal.

You can get the raw H.265 files from my MediaFire file share:

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/63s4q7yuwp7nk/CES2015_NX1

GammaDR.png

​Wonderful job Christie! Mind if I credit your forum post if I promote this to the blog front page? Or prefer to remain under the radar a bit?

Its my understanding that Samsung is opening software for developers to create apps (mostly directed at interface with tizen smart tv's).  Necessary code for developers to write the apps is shared, but I don't think that means that the proprietary firmware (the stuff that effects what the camera records) can be changed by the apps....yet.  

I have no idea if the release of this SDK will help hackers.  Maybe.  There have been hacks for the other NX cameras but nothing that affects picture quality.  I think the obscene amount of processing power would make the NX1 a great candidate for a hack and don't get me wrong I'm rooting for ML all the way.  However I think the best chance for the NX1 getting even better is from Samsung directly at the moment.

yes a lot of times you can reach out to companies and express your thoughts on how to improve their product.  You are doing them a huge favor by being out in the field testing them.  Samsung is showing a great precedent for being so receptive to user feedback.  Panasonic is also very good at this.  But this is pretty much unheard of - how quickly they responded to user feedback.  I think the OS the camera works on allows this.  It's very exciting news and puts the NX1 definitely in a hotter category.  I am very excited to test it with the new log like setting.  

dpreview posted a short interview with Samsung.  They made an interesting comments related to sensor readout speed that would suggest it can do 4k @ 24p with full sensor readout.

http://***URL removed***/articles/7808127857/ces-2015-samsung-interview-mirrorless-to-outsell-dslrs-in-three-years

"The sensor readout is very fast - 240 frames per second. For autofocus object tracking we read at 120Hz. We can do full resolution sensor readout at 25 frames per second, and digital signal processing [with a new chip and algorithms] at 15 frames per second. "