Samsung NX1 Firmware 1.20 Coming Soon

nougat

​I'm admittedly very new, extremely amateur at photography but I do own an NX1 with that lens. It's the only lens I've used with it (only one I own!). I like it. I can't say with confidence much more than that since I have no credibility, but there are boatloads of reviews that say the optical quality is good, the AF is quiet, and the OIS is good. To me these all seem true. I've had no problems. Even the exposure change that people are talking about hasn't been an issue with the camera--but I've had smart range off the whole time. I'm not doing tons of focus pulling or anything yet, so for the manual focus by wire I can't comment. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Do any of these fixes address to exposure drift issue we've been struggling with? Why isn't that front and center? 

So far they've just been highlighting the new features in the firmware at CES.  I'm sure they don't want to highlight a bug at a sales and marketing convention.  

We just have to hope that since they were listening to other requests, they picked this one up too and the final release will include a "various bug fixes" note that will fix the exposure drift problem.

So far they've just been highlighting the new features in the firmware at CES.  I'm sure they don't want to highlight a bug at a sales and marketing convention.  

We just have to hope that since they were listening to other requests, they picked this one up too and the final release will include a "various bug fixes" note that will fix the exposure drift problem.

​Remember to post them about the issue you feel lacking / not working for you. .. We all need to do our part. Communication works wonders. :) So contact them.

This is great as Samsung Dont hang around if they smell blood in a product category and with an agressive development and iteration cycle they will get it right sooner than later. There is a lot to like with what they are doing and it just looks to get better. With Samsung being notorious spec freaks and hate getting trumped they could be hear to stay as a  competitive forward thinking camera manufacturer.

". . .Particularly interesting is that Samsung will make an SDK available with the firmware update for developers to make their own apps and remote control software for the NX1, which runs from an open source operating system."

Everyone together . . ."THANK YOU MAGIC LANTERN!"

​My thoughts exactly! If this becomes true, it will be the first big company to acknowledge what opening up can mean for both users and company. Features for us and sales for them.

Update: if I read correctly, they're not giving access to the camera itself (yet...).

This is an incredibly interesting camera, shame there isn't much footage online (and most of what's available is rubbish). 

I think I might just buy it and film loads of music videos, I have the feeling in my gut that when the camera is pushed at a professional level, there is going to be some very special sauce in there somewhere! 

Maybe the (supposed) use of Tizen as the operational system of the camera is speeding up the development process. And now is very clear that Samsung put an insane amount of power processing in the camera - probably the NX1 will have a longer lifecycle, being updated by firmware.

And clearly they have a very clever manager taking care of this project.

Exciting!!!  I'm now totally sold on the camera after the update.  Now if someone can tell them the fine differences between bad unwanted chroma noise and the potentially usuable luma noise that produces film like grain, that would make this camera even more perfect.

Samsung being Samsung, the NX1's successor is probably less than a year away with even more impressive features.  Some things on my wishlist: 5-axis IBS, ProRes, dynamic range (as always, more he better), smooth autofocus, programmable focus macros.  Maybe they'll even make a lower megapixel one like Sony does with the A7s.  It's all icing on the cake after this killer update.  The outlook of the gear has become exciting once again seeing as though the big camera makers are wanting to save features like 4K for their unaffordable professional cinema lines of producs.

This is good news Samsung but I have a grief with Samsung. I hope they don't treat their camera line up like the treated their phones. I am seeing same thing as what they did with the phones. When they started out with their phones, they listened to customers and made better phones. When they were finally able to capture a sizable amount of the market, it became all about profit and they started making some crappy phones.

I hope the Samsung line of cameras don't go that route. Other wise good firmware update.

This is good news Samsung but I have a grief with Samsung. I hope they don't treat their camera line up like the treated their phones. I am seeing same thing as what they did with the phones. When they started out with their phones, they listened to customers and made better phones. When they were finally able to capture a sizable amount of the market, it became all about profit and they started making some crappy phones.

I hope the Samsung line of cameras don't go that route. Other wise good firmware update.

I don't think Samsung phones were ever crappy.  Maybe they were behind in the design and UI in the last 2 years, but they are fighting back strong these days.  Their internals for at least their flagship devices were always the highest specs available the time they are released.  The NX1 is their flagship camera.  I think what Samsung does well is respond to the demands.  Better than other camera manufacturers who think they know what's better for the customers and not listen to the feedback.

Looking forward to seeing the test footage of the Log Gamma profile and AF performance.

It's hard not to purchase it right now. However, I feel the need to wait to see what Samsung and Sony announce at CP+ Feb 12th-15th. If Sony doesn't step up with Native 4k and great AF, Samsung will most likely get's my camera and lens budget.

In the next few weeks we will probably hear that the NX1 with firmware 1.2 is an indy filmmaker's dream camera and that if you can't make something worth watching with the NX1, it's probably not the camera's fault.  At that point I can throw caution and dollars to the wind and feel like I am making a justifiable purchase decision. ; )

If the NX500 is announced at CP+ and has similar specifications at a lower price point and with less camera body weight, I will probably purchase it as my B-camera then and wait to see what comes out at NAB April 13th-16th for my A camera purchase.

Bottom line is, it is a great time to be in the market for 4k camera and we have Samsung to thank in-part for helping to move things forward faster than they otherwise would be moving. And of course Black Magic for shaking up the camera market a fews year ago.  Really this whole budget higher-resolution-than-HD-indy-camera dream was defined by RED when they announced 3k for $3k and Magic Lantern didn't hurt either, and not that it was higher than HD, but when the hacked GH2 was chosen by a certain high profile person over RED in the Zacuto shootout, the indy crowd felt like there was truly hope for budget indy filmmaking. And talk about high hopes for indy filmmakers, back in the early days it was tester 13 on DVXUser (just call him Vitaliy Kiselev ) and GH13 hack.... I still have my hacked GH1...

I wonder how the hacked GH1 footage will stand up against the NX1's LOG Gamma - probably can't tell them apart. I hope that's not the case or I want the last 5 years of my life back waiting for the perfect camera.  Sorry Panasonic, Sony, Canon, Nikon, and Black Magic: there's a new sheriff in indy town his name is Samsung NX1.

Good on Samsung for listening to potential buyers! They're obviously taking the market seriously, and aren't afraid to give new features for no extra cost.

They're releasing an SDK too! If that's the way Samsung's going their cameras are going to be VERY attractive to various niches.

I wonder how the hacked GH1 footage will stand up against the NX1's LOG Gamma - probably can't tell them apart. I hope that's not the case or I want the last 5 years of my life back waiting for the perfect camera.  Sorry Panasonic, Sony, Canon, Nikon, and Black Magic: there's a new sheriff in indy town his name is Samsung NX1.

​If you're comparing them at 4k the difference will be ridiculously obvious, even on a 1080p monitor. :)

Colour wise too, there will be a significant difference. I had a GH1 years ago and, while sharpness and detail were excellent, the colours were absolutely terrible. Washed out, no vibrancy, weird skin tones... these are factors that are, in my opinion, more important than sharpness for actual content delivery which is still rarely HD even now.