Samsung NX1 Firmware 1.20 Coming Soon

nougat

http://www.imaging-resource.com/news/2015/01/07/samsung-answers-photographers-requests-preps-major-firmware-update-for-sams

It looks like Samsung is listening and moving quickly with firmware updates, especially with regard to video-related requests.  The new firmware will include:

• Output free-run timecode to external recorders using HDMI
  • Two new gamma modes for capturing widest possible dynamic range and a master black level control
  • Luminance level options to prevent clipping 
  • Adjust autofocus speed and reaction time 
  • Adjust ISO sensitivity and audio levels while recording
  • Pro Quality compression for 1080p
  • 24fps for UHD 
  • Extract stills from video in camera
  • Tons of new customization options (reverse control dial directions, Mobile button can be used as Record button, AE-L button can lock focus in movie mode, etc...)

Hopefully, this will also fix the ISO shift / Smartrange+ bug in Manual mode.  :unsure:

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Crazy...

If this is true it's really super impressive from Samsung's part ! It's like a firmware "on demand"... ! 

The only thing missing is a fine tuning of the noise reduction - on my part.

And a complete movie mode also (its kind of weird to have to go to preview all the time).

Anyway I just love this camera :P 

I hope this is all true.

Adjust autofocus speed and AE-L button can lock focus in movie mode would be very nice for camera assisted focus then you lock focus as needed it could focus faster then me for most things.

Pro Quality compression for 1080p Prores? Really need H.264 for the 4K files as a option but anything is better then how it is now all H265. Would love to be able to edit HD fast when not needing 4K. 

Great News

Humm maybe no change to the H265 for everything only a upgrade to a better quality HD but it still looks like it will be H 265

Pro Quality mode added to Full HD. Previously only HQ and Normal were provided for FHD.)

Love this - Users can now set the AF ON button to toggle between auto focus and manual focus during recording.

Wow!   There are a few other things which would be really cool.

1) Allow peaking to be "ON/OFF/Always" so that we get peaking without zooming in (Sony style)
2) For the intervalometer, allow extended exposures beyond 30 sec for astrophotography.  Arbitrary is best.  But 60 / 90 / 120 / 180 / 240 / 300 sec would be golden

You can do focus peaking with out zooming in now I have mine set that way the zoom in was a pain.

(What does Pro quality mean?) I think this is just a better quality HD mode right now the 4K setting has a Pro version but the HD dose not so they are upgrading HD to a Pro version as well.

Wow!   There are a few other things which would be really cool.

1) Allow peaking to be "ON/OFF/Always" so that we get peaking without zooming in (Sony style)
2) For the intervalometer, allow extended exposures beyond 30 sec for astrophotography.  Arbitrary is best.  But 60 / 90 / 120 / 180 / 240 / 300 sec would be golden

I can't talk from personal experience, but I've heard the samsung lenses manual focus is by wire.  Setting up repeatable focus pulls and follow focus might be tricky with them.   If you're shooting primarily video, you might go with the art lenses.  Plus the art line can get the mounts switched so if sigma supports NX mounts in the future they could be setup for that.  If weather sealing is a priority then the two samsung pro lenses are the only options at the moment.  Optically either is an excellent option.