What is the point of Zeiss ZF Primes?

zenpmd

"We’re shooting on RED EPIC, some FS100 and 5D creeps into every shoot. We shoot almost exclusively on the Zeiss ZF prime set (21, 35, 50, 85mm) and the canon 70-200 series II zoom. "

its a lovely film, but my question is serious. note the "cheap" cameras also

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

First of all, are you the filmmaker?  I'll assume so...?

Anyway, Question:  "What is the point of Zeiss ZF Primes?"

My answer:  People like you use them because they give you unique image quality.

How important is that unique IQ to the overall production?  It depends.  I do believe that if you're capable of creating good content that's engaging (and you are/do) the viewer isn't going to care if one lens is somewhat superior than another.  Is that what you're insinuating?  

Personally, I try to prioritize creativity over intense technicality in my productions.  For instance, I'm far more impressed with your decision to create a beautiful sequence of running shots through the woods than I am about whatever lens or camera you shot it on.

If you're comfortable with the images you get from more affordable lenses and cameras, there's nothing wrong with that as far as I'm concerned.

Some filmmakers (many on this website) prioritize the technical craft, some worry more about the art.  Filmmakers craft with both, obviously, but I tend to think the former is so much more important than the latter.  Neither is the wrong approach though.  If you like twisting the knobs, that's perfectly fine.  Still, I'd rather watch a film by someone with something to say with their images rather than someone trying to show me their most technically accomplished images.

And, of course, if you're working with a crew you can rely on the technical expertise of colleagues while concentrating on the creative, so that's all part of the mix too.  Plus, ultimately, the editor of this film kicked ass.  Great images, yes, but the rhythm and flow of the material was perfect. 

I think zenpmd is quoting from this article, not showing off his work...

> http://www.infinitylist.com/interviews/interview-with-jaime-keating-from-forge-motion-pictures/

Beautifully shot and put together nontheless. Great watch.

zenpmd seems eager to start discussions like 'What's the answer to life, the universe and everything' I've noticed. lol

Like his... 'What is the point of 4k?' or 'Best gh4 4k footage on the net'.

As if there's really a solid one true answer to be gained from that. We all know there's not.

Again here... leaving us to guess and discuss what's the point of something. 'What is the meaning of your topic?' feels like it be a better question to ask.

That the "cheap" cameras don't matter as much, so we can keep discussing resolution, dynamic range etc of cameras like the GH4, 5DmkIII, A7S, NX1, 1D C etc, but what creates the look is the lens, which is THE thing to put your money on, not so much the camera bodies? Yes. Sure, to some extent: absolutely.

Or are you actually just really not seeing a point in using Zeiss ZF primes? What are you philosophizing about?

The VO/story and Hans Zimmer-like music are much stronger than the imagery, which is also lovely, just not as strong as the other two. The gear is really irrelevant and is a good sign of a good story.

Would not be surprised if Zenpmd frequently made meaning of life posts :). Facing death is the most life changing event one can go through (next up is experiencing death, the ultimate life-changing experience!). After such a moment (or moments), the meaning of life becomes much more clear, and what makes us happy and peaceful changes forever. Film can help those who have not had one of these experiences to see reality in a different way, as can studying Zen/Buddhism (at its core, not a religion; a study of the mind and the nature of reality, guided by the same principals as math and the scientific method). Life has more meaning the more we let go of materialism and ego/selfishness and increase kindness and connections to other living beings.

A couple couple of books:

http://www.amazon.com/Peace-Every-Step-Mindfulness-Everyday/dp/0553351397/

http://www.amazon.com/Heart-Buddhas-Teaching-Transforming-Liberation/dp/0767903692/

My first documentary was related to the meaning of life topic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLbZ_nwm8-I .

If you want to talk about lenses and practical application of them to achieve philosophical ennui, you can always check this out:  

http://hubblesite.org/newscenter/archive/releases/2015/02/image/a/warn/

​Indeed, used a bunch of images and video from Hubble/NASA in the philosophical doc; helps put things in perspective and our place in the universe.

​Indeed, used a bunch of images and video from Hubble/NASA in the philosophical doc; helps put things in perspective and our place in the universe.

​Yeah, it's funny to pixel peep at the full res image 'kuz when you look at it there's kind of a "hey, bit of image grain there..."  and then when you zoom your image viewer 1:1 you realize that it's actually billions of stars layered as if sand on a beach.  Dave Bowman was right.

Totally random stream of thought here....since humans have a finite lifespan, I've always found it irrelevant to wonder about our place in the universe. I mean...exploring insects or plants under our feet is just about equally profound as stars or cosmos...It's all just data from sensory experience being fed into our brain that will one day reach its biological expiry date regardless of what is being processed...right?

Totally random stream of thought here....since humans have a finite lifespan, I've always found it irrelevant to wonder about our place in the universe. I mean...exploring insects or plants under our feet is just about equally profound as stars or cosmos...It's all just data from sensory experience being fed into our brain that will one day reach its biological expiry date regardless of what is being processed...right?

​It's irrelevant in the same way that everything else we do in life is irrelevant. Ultimately the sun will die and then the universe will die (maybe), but does that make our experiences any less worthwhile today? 

​It's irrelevant in the same way that everything else we do in life is irrelevant. Ultimately the sun will die and then the universe will die (maybe), but does that make our experiences any less worthwhile today? 

Not at all, it makes our experiences here and now are far more relevant and worthwhile than the question of our place in the universe that we are not equipped to experience. If humans beings ever achieve thousand-year lifespans, the question of space might actually become relevant. Till then, I'm fine with having a Coke. :D