Will the EM1 benefit from a speed booster?

Hitfabryk

I am on the edge of buying a A7S (or a C100) but I am wondering if my EM1 still can do the job, what I do is filming bands in my recording studio

and the video's are going on the internet for Studio and Band promotion. Maybe I could  invest in my EM1, a speed booster maybe an extra lens. (Sigma 18-35mm? or something even better?)  Now I do most of my work with a panasonic 14mm 2.5 and a 25mm 1.8  olympus/ native MFT lenses.

Any input regarding this decicion would be very welcome.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I am always researching long and hard to see what equipment might improve my enjoyment of filming and the quality of my product (wedding films). I take my time over decisions as there is new gear coming out every month =)

As I am running a business, whenever I get excited by new gear I ask myself the following questions:

– Will it make my work flow more efficient and therefore save me time/money?

– When will I see a return on my investment?

– Will my clients notice the difference in quality, and therefore is it likely to secure me more/better jobs?

Last year I filmed nearly 20 weddings with a GH3, GX7 and GH2. Unfortunately after 3 years my GH2 has died so I am in the market for a replacement as I find 3 cameras essential for certain parts of the day. I could get a GH4 as my new main camera, another GX7, the rumoured EM5 MkII for IBIS if Olympus can finally deliver a great 1080p codec, or I've even thought I could go for the Canon C100 MkII (partly so I could finally see for myself why so many people fuss over Canon!).

From a technical perspective I'm not sure the speedbooster + sigma will improve your image quality much, unless of course you find yourself needing to use high ISOs in the studio and therefore the speedbooster + sigma at f/1.2 would help.

Ultimately I would try and make the decision based on your business goals. You might decide your clients are happy with what you produce now and you can invest the money differently!

Hope that helps =)

what I do is filming bands in my recording studio

I take it since it is your studio you do have control over the lights? That might lead to the question if you need a c100/a7s for their very low-light sensitivity if you can add lights to shoot with a EM1, also how important is shooting handheld or do you always shoot from a tripod?

You are looking at a big investment if you go the Sony or Canon route since you don't have any lenses that would fit either one of them. If very low light is not the primary goal, why don't you get a gh4 instead? Or even a GH3 combined with a lens, they are selling cheap now.

I take it since it is your studio you do have control over the lights? That might lead to the question if you need a c100/a7s for their very low-light sensitivity if you can add lights to shoot with a EM1, also how important is shooting handheld or do you always shoot from a tripod?

You are looking at a big investment if you go the Sony or Canon route since you don't have any lenses that would fit either one of them. If very low light is not the primary goal, why don't you get a gh4 instead? Or even a GH3 combined with a lens, they are selling cheap now.

​I do have control over the lights, some hand shots, most tripod but depending on the atmospfere from the band..But indeed the IBIS is very useful. I agree that the investment is quit big, on the other hand I love cams :)..but I was thinking how much more 'filmic' would the speedbooster bring, I do have a couple nice FD lenses but they are not so wide, maybe only the FD 28mm 2.8 (will become like 45?) is usable..for close up I have got a nice FD 55 1.2 and also a FD 50mm 1.8. But I have to say the 25mm olympus is also good.

What aspect of the video quality do you want to improve? If its resolution and dynamic range then yeah the A7s/c100 will benefit you. If it's low light then I'd be more inclined to suggest you get more lights for the studio

So the light's are no problem, maybe (maybe) it could be a little more filmic(?)..

Thanks guys

Oh I see what you mean. The EM1's 30 fps video doesn't help either. I would indeed go for another camera if I were you. But then again, Andrew made a really cool music video with the EM1. Although completely different style

​Thanks, the video from Andrew is indeed a completely different style, this is more like a live studio registration.. 

If you want my honest opinion, the IQ your em1 produces in these circumstances looks great. That money you would spend on a c100 or a7s incl lenses would be better spend on some fast glass and a speedbooster, maybe get a video crane as well to make some cool moves or shoot from angles that would be impossible from a tripod.

If you want my honest opinion, the IQ your em1 produces in these circumstances looks great. That money you would spend on a c100 or a7s incl lenses would be better spend on some fast glass and a speedbooster, maybe get a video crane as well to make some cool moves or shoot from angles that would be impossible from a tripod.

​Thanks Noa, I really appreciate..you're comment and suggestions.