Andrew has been spot on about Canon

Clayton Moore

Ive been reading all the debate about Canon on this web site, and I have a agree with Andrew's take on it overall.  It hit as I was looking at the Consumer Electronic Show news today that SONY has two new consumer 4k camcorders that have been announced and Panasonic has one as well.  All for under $1000.  They are just consumer cameras but they represent lots of aggressive technologies, and at least they are in the game.

I thought - Hey lets see what Canon has ........  Crickets chirping.   Some new point and shoot cameras ( really?) and a few cheap HD camcorders but overall their line up right now looks about two years old at least, maybe three years.  They are talking about new stuff at NAB this year but, well have to wait and see how aggressive they can get at this "late" date.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

For anyone happy with Sony's or Panasonics' offerings: go for it! Why wait for Canon?

​#1 reason (imho) is lenses :-( a lot of people invested in canon lenses.  Yes, you can adapt the lenses, but you miss out on stabilization and fast/accurate auto focusing especially for those that want to take pictures in addition to videos.  Yeah, it seemed like a lot of the new canon bodies @ CES were things that you can find in cracker jack boxes or  toys you can find in McDonalds happy meals.  This is 2015...  Canon.. Really?? are you SERIOUS?

​I'm talking about camcorders. 

Were you guys expecting real cameras at CES?

​Not really, that's more a thing for NAB and Photokina I guess. But just in general Canon kind of seems behind if you're looking at the competition in the same categories, so it couldn't hurt them to break radio silence, perhaps giving Canon users a little glimp of what's in store for them with a little teaser of some sorts.

Thats my point. Its not so much about specific cameras per se..... its weather or not Canon is still working to distinguish themselves or keep up with current market trends.  It may be that they refuse to play the CES timing game and work on their own schedule (the way Apple has done - ala MacWorld / NAB etc) It feels though that they are still a very conservative and slow moving company. 

The reality however is that technology and manufacturing, has escalated market trends much faster then they did even 5 years ago and has also created new players in the market as well.  It may be that Canon’s competitors have worked harder at staying on the leading edge then Canon has.  It may be that simple.   Either way they look somewhat stale now.

Why make a thread about this? This would have been far more impressive and thread worthy had Andrew disagreed with the 99.9% aboit Canon and had been right... Instead of (Andrew, AND LITERALLY EVERYONE ELSE SHOOTING DSLR VIDEO was right about Canon........)