In the Escape of Myself - Another Samsung NX1 Film

Ed_David

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Hi Ed- dig the camera work, editing, VO and writing. The desaturated look goes well with the narrative (though perhaps I'd use more color pop in the country to go with the emotion of the narrative and the Technicolor comment. Technicolor is ultra saturated and has a painted look at the same time. Perhaps possible to emulate with Resolve: http://www.mynahmedia.com/2013/01/3-strip-technicolor-look-in-davinci-resolve/ ).

I did write it - or rather speak it then listen to it then revise.  The audio qualty needs work - it's just me into my android phone.

I come at it organically - it's something in my head floating that I am trying to capture organically.  Of course I know the more one revises -the more someone second guesses oneself.  So its a fragile balance.  But I am kind of workshopping it online - it's an experiment.

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Great looking video and idea. 

I wonder what was your strategy to getting stable images with this small camera coupled with a manual non-IS lens?

Also all the footage I've seen come out of the NX1 seem to have shocking low DR where there's crushing in the shadows where there's zero detail, yet silky smooth, it's kind of a defined look I am starting to see in the NX1 images.

well you know a lot of film stocks only had 10 stops of dynamic range.  it's not about detail in the shadow which I could have shown you the raw stuff -there is a lot more - for me I care about how it handles dyanmic range over middle grey and highlight handling.  how it overexposes.  this is quite pleasant.  

Also all the footage I've seen come out of the NX1 seem to have shocking low DR where there's crushing in the shadows where there's zero detail, yet silky smooth, it's kind of a defined look I am starting to see in the NX1 images.

Ebrahim, below are two snaps of an un-transcoded h265 NX1 clip opened in VLC.  The clip was exposed for the window, putting the foreground in silhouette. 

The first snap is straight off the card, the second is with an interactive contrast reduction in VLC. If you look at the man's hair or the people to the right in the second snap, there is information hiding in the shadows of this tiny 4K clip.

crushed.thumb.png.21be120db9fc0004f6dc15flat.thumb.png.abea3b18bb2e697866528c3c2

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Thanks racer, I really like the look of how the shadows crush yet remain silky smooth, it's kind of strange as if there's very little detail in the lower end of the image but NO noise or artefacts at all, I am loving that look because you always expect noise and ugliness when you look at the shadows even with the highest end cinema cameras.

It's kind of a new Samsung look, coupled with the red-ish lively colours and pleasing highlight roll-off makes this a very unique image. These characters are visible in every sample shot on the nx1 whether badly or well shot. 

It's tempting especially when Vegas/Premiere can take the h.265 files directly.

Thanks racer, I really like the look of how the shadows crush yet remain silky smooth, it's kind of strange as if there's very little detail in the lower end of the image but NO noise or artefacts at all, I am loving that look because you always expect noise and ugliness when you look at the shadows even with the highest end cinema cameras.

It's kind of a new Samsung look, coupled with the red-ish lively colours and pleasing highlight roll-off makes this a very unique image. These characters are visible in every sample shot on the nx1 whether badly or well shot. 

It's tempting especially when Vegas/Premiere can take the h.265 files directly.

Ya I agree there's something unique about the look. But I guess the point I'm making is that it's a bit of a misconception that the camera is destroying all information in the lower end. Again looking at the man from the top picture, he's exposed many many stops under without any fill and appears solid black. But if we view the raw clip with slightly reduced contrast those blacks have info. This is a blow-up of that:

Screen_Shot_2015-01-07_at_7.04.21_AM.thu

And this of course is using a non-flat punchy profile.

we may see some more range in the shadows with patch 1.2  There is supposed to be a flat profile coming with the update.  Personally I don't care that much.  I like the detail and the colors.  Though in certain situations it can be helpful to shoot flat and grade.  Just don't do it much.