EOSHD’s top 5 cameras of the year 2014

Andrew Reid

Cool list! I too am excited about what Samsung might bring in the future. They might be the company that has me go invest in 4k, unless Canon does otherwise. As far as jumping on the 4k bandwagon- the GH4 4k didn't convince me to switch, and I am tempted by the A7S low light capability, but I agree with the issues of color that was mentioned.

I want to try a 1DC, but in America, I still see them around $10K on average, if I'm not mistaken.

I disagree with the D750 recommendation though- I took my 5d3 against my friend's d750, and what holds true on other online tests is that the 5d3 has much better low light iso in video, and better controlled moire. 

So for my work the 5d3 is hard to beat because of its lenses, full frame, and low light performance- still making it truly the best "all around choice." And I don't even have to shoot RAW for my pro work. As a matter of fact, I just discovered one of my favorite shows thats become popular recently, lends its elegant cinematic look to being shot on 5ds and 7ds! It wasn't until after 2 seasons did they switch to the Arri.

And finally, I was never bothered by the 5d's "softness." It allows me to control how much sharpness I want. Maybe for people who shoot landscape all day, they should definitely shoot with a GH4 or something "sharper." But last month I started shooting videos of LA agency models with my 5d, and damn- just adding +15 sharpness, it's too sharp!  On close-ups I can clearly make out eye lashes and fine skin details, so I actually don't sharpen it too much. It's perfect for people. Not to mention the skin tones!

So yeah, the 5d3 is great- but I agree, I am still somewhat disappointed with Canon. I was hoping my 5d3 would be my B cam this year as I waited for the c100m2, hoping it would improve with 4k options, or at least a better 4K to 1080p capture via internal high bitrate 4:2:2 codec. But my only hypothesis is that Canon is attempting to lead the consumer market when 4K becomes the *absolute norm*

Interestingly enough, I'm now a full convert to using the Sony Alpha series of camera for my photography, and even though I have access to RED and GH4's, my 5d3 is my dedicated grab and go video camera haha

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Andrew, if you're talking about 2014 then the 1DC doesn't belong on that list. Just because you were able to find a used one at a good price doesn't make it a new camera in 2014 and it's not like people can just go out there and find used ones at that price.

On a different note, I have work on a shoot where the 1DC was used and it's truly an exceptional camera.

I think all this comment about the used price vs new and the mention of $12000 is unfair.  Personally, I wouldn't dream of buying a used 1DC for £5000 when you can get a brand new one for £5828 plus vat.  I can claim the VAT back and I'm sure many can who are possibly in the market for this camera.  I'm thinking about it, especially with the heaps of EF lenses!!! 

The 1DC definitely is not a better option than an a7s with a shogun. The only advantage I see is that it records internally. Otherwise the low light performance isn't better, there is more noise and it barely ever slips below $6500 (US). I would gladly spend an extra 1500 to buy the fs7. This is a bad comparison.

I am a little upset with the inclusion of the Canon. The whole spirit of this group and most posts and discussions in it were to celebrate the existence of alternatives to  expensive cameras and equipment for filmmaking. Just because the Canon's prices have come down in the used market doesn't make it a candidate here IMHO. Tomorrow if for some reason some Alexa or RED which costs a fortune right now costs 2-3 times as much as mid range DSLRs, it may too make it to the list.

2015 seems bleak ... hehehe

I've downloaded the original file and find the colors very adorable in Lisbon's Light clip. Usually I do not like Samsung, but the NX1 seems like very solid one.

Could you tell us how much time is needed to garding usually? I know it's depends on camera / codec / style, but in general in a 3-4 minutes long clip, how much is?

Also love the EF 135/2, one of the greatest lens from Canon. Nice to see from You not writing out Canon. It's always all about price/value... :)
Thanks!

I am a little upset with the inclusion of the Canon. The whole spirit of this group and most posts and discussions in it were to celebrate the existence of alternatives to  expensive cameras and equipment for filmmaking. Just because the Canon's prices have come down in the used market doesn't make it a candidate here IMHO. Tomorrow if for some reason some Alexa or RED which costs a fortune right now costs 2-3 times as much as mid range DSLRs, it may too make it to the list.

2015 seems bleak ... hehehe

​You shouldn't allow someones opinion to upset you. 

I buy my cameras used almost all the time. Makes it more financially viable to upgrade when something that suits my needs better comes out. 

• Administrators

I have always ranked the 1D C's image in the top 10 of all the modern cinema cameras available. This was from nearly 1 year ago -

http://www.eoshd.com/2014/02/video-quality-charts-february-2014/

It is a £10,000 camera available now for £5000, in some cases £3500 (James Miller and Dan Chung sold theirs for around that amount).

I don't see how this is so upsetting for those browsing for a new camera in 2015. I think it's a total bargain.

the best camera of 2014 is the one that earnt you some money ......now go and buy some lenses , thats where the 'look' is really created

I think some of you are forgetting this is Andrew's list and if he wants a Canon at no1 then so be it , it is his forum after all........

​I have to agree.  If he feels the current used price of a Canon 1D C is newsworthy and remarkable who are we to say he can't include it in his list?

I mean if you don't like it just ignore it and reassign the number one rating to the Sony a7s.  What's the big deal?  I could see if it was a list of 50 cameras and there were 15 used cameras woven in there with suspect prices.  But this is ONE camera in a list of five.

Frankly I applaud any journalist who looks at a market holistically.  Its like people saying we should ignore the 5D MK III ML raw because it is a hack.  That's your choice but if the owner of a website wishes to put it in their list that is their business.

The 1DC definitely is not a better option than an a7s with a shogun. The only advantage I see is that it records internally. Otherwise the low light performance isn't better, there is more noise and it barely ever slips below $6500 (US). I would gladly spend an extra 1500 to buy the fs7. This is a bad comparison.

​That's your choice but the 1D C is also a great stills camera.  It is also a fraction of the size of an FS7.  Some of us don't like advertising we are making videos everywhere we go.

A 1D C would satisfy all my digital photo/video needs.  Along with a smartphone I would be covered.  Plus it uses Canon lenses without any adapters.

I just want to add, the D750 is the best stills camera I have ever used. Shot a wedding with it last week and I am just blown away with the file versatility and high ISO performance. Nikon knocked it out of the park. And the video quality has been a pleasant surprise. I feel like the D750 is everything the 5d3 should've been when it came out. 

​You know what's the real scary part? It's a camera that sits below the 5D3's price bracket.

I said it back then, the D750 would be a 5D3 killer if people would stop thinking that Canon and pro bodies are so great.

​You know what's the real scary part? It's a camera that sits below the 5D3's price bracket.

I said it back then, the D750 would be a 5D3 killer if people would stop thinking that Canon and pro bodies are so great.

​I know! Its absolutely crazy! Its literally a superior camera to the 5D3 in every possible way. 

http://vimeo.com/3hund/bioluminescentforest

Shot with Canon 5D mark III. Can somebody remind me how old it is? (not sure if it shot with ML RAW). How somebody already mentioned, cameras are just a tools, this time what we spending for pixel peaping we should spend for creativity.

Past month I spend a lot of time gathering info and thinking if I should sell my 5D III and move to Sony a7s or to wait for 5D IV. a7s have the same big advantages and disatvantages compering to Canon 5D mark III (ML RAW) and non of those camaras are perfect. Now when  ML raw work flough way more simplified, big color grading freadom and after watcing creative short movies like this I think theres no point to abandon 5D.

Looks like a list of cameras Andrew Reid bought in 2014. Even if the camera was not released in 2014, like 1DC, he put it on the list, just because he bought it in 2014. Isn't this the definition of "my gear is best" fanboyism? FS7, released in 2014,  was not even mentioned, for example.