EOSHD’s top 5 cameras of the year 2014

Andrew Reid

• Administrators

Before the GH4, NX1, A7S and Shogun can you remember what we did for 4K on $1500-$2000 interchangeable lens cameras? No neither can I! 2014 has been a great year with some great technology.

My top 5

1. The new for 2014 £5000 priced used 1D C! (It's a completely different prospect to what it was at £12,000)

2. A7S & Shogun (£3500)

3. GH4 (£1299)

4. NX1 (£1299)

5. Nikon D750 (£1799)

Read the full article

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I just want to add, the D750 is the best stills camera I have ever used. Shot a wedding with it last week and I am just blown away with the file versatility and high ISO performance. Nikon knocked it out of the park. And the video quality has been a pleasant surprise. I feel like the D750 is everything the 5d3 should've been when it came out. 

• Administrators

Yes the D750 is an incredibly impressive stills camera. Really enjoying it with the Sigma 50mm F1.4. Didn't expect the AF to be so good on that lens wide open. Build quality also amazing as is the 'feel' and handling. For video it is definitely 5th though.

Happy New YearB)!!! I feel like 2014 was the year when manufactures had to tread into new territory with 4k, it being new and all, 2015 is when the manufactures of 4k cameras will start to iron out all the "rushed" mistakes and perfect it in the next generation modles. So if someone is still holding out on purchasing one, will more than likely make the purchase this year, when everything settles down.

Maybe this is the strategy Canon is going by...^_^ 

I don't disagree with the order of your top 5 but I do with the price you continue to mention of a second hand 1Dc and using that as an argument to have it on the top of your list as well, that's not a 5K camera, it still is a 12000 dollar camera. That's the same like waiting a few years and to buy a used gh4 for 500 dollar and comparing it against 200 dollar camera's and then saying it's the best camera money can buy or buying a old Alexa camera and saying it's better then a new 1DC.

The 1Dc is on top of your list just because you where able to buy it second hand, if that was not the case the a7s would be on top of your list and you still would be trashing the 1DC and adding points to your top 25 list why the a7s is a better camera. It now looks more you are trying to justify your purchase.

As I see it "new" price should be taken into consideration as well when comparing camera's and then the 1DC doesn't even belong on that list and should be compared to camera's in the same price range.

It feels like bashing Andrew is a new sport? He is controversial for sure, but guys... it are his top cameras of the year 2014? Why are people arguing over this nonsense when this is subjective thing? If Andrew states that the 1DC is his camera of the year it his genuine thing to do so - you dont have to agree. Just build your own top list.

Hey Andrew - thanks for your top 5 camera list!

My top camera would be the Samsung NX1 with the Shogun. As I need an external monitoring and an external audio recorder that makes the investment in the Shogun more reasonable. Also as crazy as it sounds, I want AF and as far as I can tell in my price range the Samsung has the best AF of the budget 4K cameras. Also, looking at the Pro Res LT capture from it in your Shogun test, it seem to now have enough dynamic range and shadow detail, which was a concern before I saw the NX1 Shogun footage.

Happy New Year!

Like to read about technical aspects of camera's ( thanks for that Andrew ) but creativity and skills are the key to create good stuff, the camera is only a tool to achieve this, you can create great work with all kind of camera's.

Andrew, following your logic, this years' best camera BY FAR is Sony's F35, as there's some available s/h for the same amount you paid for your 1DC (£5000). So actually, you got a terrible deal.

Therefore, the Rating should be:

-1) Sony F35 (from a quarter of a million down to just £5000)

and at a VERY long distance, everything else.

I'm not convinced by the Canon 1DC being that greater buy 2nd hand at £6,700 (current eBay price)  You can get the Sony FS7 for around that which has Professional onboard sound with XLR ports , built in NDs and 180fps super slow mo.   I thought the point of getting a DSLR is because its a cheaper option for video.  Once your spending over 5 grand then you might as well get a proper dedicated S35 video camera like the FS7 or one of the responses to it by Blackmagic or Canon in 2015.  You will get more freelance work with one of those I reckon.

I am happy to see  a 'new' name, Samsung and its NX1 made the list. Another serious contender with great value, bringing competition to the market (maybe not now but it will) and provides us shooters with more option. 

As for the list, like I said on Twitter I believe the used 1DC belongs in a separate special mention list. :) 

Why? Because it's like a car magazine saying best cars of 2014 where the new 2014 Fords, Toyotas and Hondas gets beaten by a 2013 Mercedes because it's now more affordable used. You know it's weird. Then every year the "car of the year" line up would probably be dominated by a used luxury car from previous years, because they are indeed from a higher class of products, only now relatively more affordable. 

But hey it's your blog. Just wanted to elaborate a bit of my view, Twitter was too cramped. I'm waiting for more NX1 news :) 

Here's my top 5 cameras of 2014:

1.  none.

All cameras are just tools.  Some have strengths and weaknesses.  But they all have their unique ups and downs.  You just have to find their strenghts, and mimimize their weaknesses.

Each camera can find a specific role.

Trying to rank cameras is like trying to rank your children or your siblings or parents.  Each one is good and bad in many wonderful ways.