Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Great news if somebody missed it:

Canon announced new price reductions and kit options for the cameras below:

Canon C500 EF $15999 Down from 20K!

Canon C300 EF Camera Body $11499

Canon C100 EF Body $3999

Canon C100 Mark II EF Body with 18-135mm EF-S Lens $5699 Jan 31 ETA

I think the Original C100 might be of interest to users here. It's coming down to consumer DSLR price range at 3900$, and it's a very capable pro camcorder that's very respected in the pro video world, gets a lot of work. with a great sharp 4K->HD image, and all the video bells and whistles (C-Log, 12 stops of DR, Xlrs, NDs, EVF, LCD, EF lenses, Audio, Peaking, waveform, great colour, small files to SD cards, etc). This also means you will be able to pick one up on the used market in the 2K range! 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I feel addressed, now that I am one the edge of buying a A7S, but it's still more expensive.

Meanwhile  I am also following the 1DC vs A7S discussion.. it's remarkeble that the Sony can hold up

against this quit expensive 1DC. So I don't know yet. 

​I'm thinking exactly the same thing. I love the C100 with recorder. Always wanted the 1dc(too much $). Thinkin now of settling for A7s but if I can get a similar price on a c100......hmmm

Great news if somebody missed it:

Canon announced new price reductions and kit options for the cameras below:

Canon C500 EF $15999 Down from 20K!

Canon C300 EF Camera Body $11499

Canon C100 EF Body $3999

Canon C100 Mark II EF Body with 18-135mm EF-S Lens $5699 Jan 31 ETA

I think the Original C100 might be of interest to users here. It's coming down to consumer DSLR price range at 3900$, and it's a very capable pro camcorder that's very respected in the pro video world, gets a lot of work. with a great sharp 4K->HD image, and all the video bells and whistles (C-Log, 12 stops of DR, Xlrs, NDs, EVF, LCD, EF lenses, Audio, Peaking, waveform, great colour, small files to SD cards, etc). This also means you will be able to pick one up on the used market in the 2K range! 

​Hello Ebrahim,

Does it also have Stabilization? And what would be a great starter lens, somewhere 800 or 900 euros?

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

​Hello Ebrahim,

Does it also have Stabilization? And what would be a great starter lens, somewhere 800 or 900 euros?

​The C100 does have great image stabilization when coupled with Canon IS lenses, the stabilization is in the lenses not the camera body. So choose an IS lens if you're doing handheld work, helps enormously. 

A starter lens with the C100 I would go with the little plasticy 400$ 18-135mm STM IS, which covers from extreme wide angle to long telephoto, very convenient for one starter lens, and add a Canon 50mm prime for lowlight and extreme shallow depth of field beauty shots, the 50mm 1.8, 1.4 or 1.2 L, all great lenses. I think a C100 with these two lenses can cover everything and they are very sharp for 1080p C100 images. If you want an ultra wide angle for landscape/interior/archeticture work, add a little 300$ Canon 10-18mm, a lovely ultra wide angle lens for practically no cost and even has IS. 

It also depends on your specific needs, because perhaps for example you require to zoom during recording and want a lens with a constant aperture, then the recommendation would change, or if you like shooting with only primes, or if you specifically do landscape work and want an ultra wide angle where 18mm is not enough, or if image sharpness is really really critical for you and want are very sensitive to this aspect,  etc... it depends on what you plan on shooting. 

​The C100 does have great image stabilization when coupled with Canon IS lenses, the stabilization is in the lenses not the camera body. So choose an IS lens if you're doing handheld work, helps enormously. 
A starter lens with the C100 I would go with the little plasticy 400$ 18-135mm STM IS, which covers from extreme wide angle to long telephoto, very convenient for one starter lens, and add a Canon 50mm prime for lowlight and extreme shallow depth of field beauty shots, the 50mm 1.8, 1.4 or 1.2 L, all great lenses. I think a C100 with these two lenses can cover everything and they are very sharp for 1080p C100 images. If you want an ultra wide angle for landscape/interior/archeticture work, add a little 300$ Canon 10-18mm, a lovely ultra wide angle lens for practically no cost and even has IS. 

It also depends on your specific needs, because perhaps for example you require to zoom during recording and want a lens with a constant aperture, then the recommendation would change, or if you like shooting with only primes, or if you specifically do landscape work and want an ultra wide angle where 18mm is not enough, or if image sharpness is really really critical for you and want are very sensitive to this aspect,  etc... it depends on what you plan on shooting. 

​Thanks Ebrahim,

Shooting mostly indoors, always the same room (studio/bands playing) with reasonable/good light..The tripod is on a dolly. The stabilization is more for the 'free' work outside, that can be everything like ..home nature etc..

Is it an APS-C sensor? because referring to FF I would like to use something from 24mm to 70mm and then constant aperture.

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

If you want that specific equivalent to, check the Canon 17-55mm F2.8 IS. Checks all the boxes. Image stabilization, 24-70mm fullframe equivalent, 2.8 constant aperture, under 900$. But I would absolutely suggest having an extra fast prime for lowlight and beauty shallow shots though besides the general-purpose 17-55mm (which is a great lens and many C100/300 users praise highly)

Great price on the old C100. I would still shell out the big bucks for the sequel if invested in Canon glass.

Major improvements.

C500 is a great price as well if you're cool with external for 4K.

Ebrahim..I left you a question on another thread about the A7s...give me some details on why you dig this cam if you will. (especially compared to Nikon/Canon dslrs). You're one of the few on this board that actually uses the gear before you leave your opinions. Thanks.