What is the best camera for stills & motion right know?

Matrox

The A6000 is very nice with any kind of close-up or medium shot, but it is disappointing for detailed wide-angle landscapes. 

The AF is also incredible, and is the first AF I've used that I would consider using for video, though I need to experiment with it more.

Have you looked at this A6000 channel on Vimeo?

https://vimeo.com/channels/853632

No, I haven't, thanks for it! I checked some videos and the conclusion is clear: wide scenes aren't sharp and have moire. Such a shame. The situation is almost identical as in my Sony SLT-A35. Medium or close-ups are OK, but once I try something wider, there aren't any detail.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Remember that vimeo transcodes to 720p as standard and while there is a way to change that to 1080p the softness you are seeing could because you are looking at a downscaled 720p version. Also moire can appear after downscaling and depending how you view it, I have had people commenting they saw moire in my videos on vimeo while it appeared there weren't looking full screen. Also on my laptop which has a lower rez screen my videos don't look as good as on my larger pc screen.

​So basically, can we say that on shallow depth of field scenes codec holds up because - except from main subject - everything else is out of focus and we just cannot see these artifacts, because, well, the image is out of focus?

To be honest, I would totally buy A7 or A6000 in a second, but these issues with codec aren't fun. Although, I should also keep in mind that the majority of my work right know are stills. But who knows what time will bring.

​Yes. Shallow depth of field shots work fine.

This is because the out of focus areas are very suitable for high compression without visual loss. Then most of the available video bitrate can be used for details in the areas of the image that are in focus.

​Yes. Shallow depth of field shots work fine.

This is because the out of focus areas are very suitable for high compression without visual loss. Then most of the available video bitrate can be used for details in the areas of the image that are in focus.

​Damn, such a shame that Sony failed with AVCHD in Sony A6000/A7/A7R. I would say that the story is quite similar to my A35 video quality. Everything except wide scenes is quite good.

So, right know I'm torn apart. I like Sony cameras in terms of ergonomics and controls. EVF is great, too. But this AVCHD mud is terrible. On the other hand, there is a Nikon D5300 with nice video quality, better codec, but with small OVF and almost zero video-related functions. 

It looks like there aren't any ideal option for me right know, within that budget. I guess I should choose one of them, expand my skills, earn extra money and with more stable situation with my photo/video work buy appropriate gear later. But you know why it is so hard for me? Because money that I'm spending was not easy to earn and I really want to spend it wisely.

new nikon rumored to be possibly announced on monday..

​Right - I'm looking forward for CES. Hope we'll see something great.

The D5300 had the best image. A6000 a bit easier to use and mirrorless lens mount more adaptable.

​Andrew, what about A7 Mark II? Is it better than D5300 in terms of video performance?

There is a review here about the a7 II http://www.eoshd.com/2014/11/sony-a7-ii-review-5-axis-stabilisation-video-mode/

From the examples I have seen it's internal stabilization is not that good at all and it suffers from moire.

I think you are asking for a camera that doesn't exist if you only are spending 1100 dollar incl lens, you seem to want very good quality for video and photo with good photo and video functionality but what can you expect for that price? I"m not sure how the d5300 performs with photo's but from many samples I have seen it's a very good videocamera + it will fit in your budget.

There is a review here about the a7 II http://www.eoshd.com/2014/11/sony-a7-ii-review-5-axis-stabilisation-video-mode/

From the examples I have seen it's internal stabilization is not that good at all and it suffers from moire.

I think you are asking for a camera that doesn't exist if you only are spending 1100 dollar incl lens, you seem to want very good quality for video and photo with good photo and video functionality but what can you expect for that price? I"m not sure how the d5300 performs with photo's but from many samples I have seen it's a very good videocamera + it will fit in your budget.

​I saw that, but there's no word about comparison to D5300, so that's why I'm asking Andrew :)

I wouldn't say that this price is low. Cheaper GH2 or G6 have better video quality, so that's why we should expect at least decent video quality. It is 2015 already. No time for moire and aliasing, really.

Do you mean the gh2 and g6 have better videoquality then the d5300? What makes you conclude that? Moire and aliasing are unfortunately still present on many camera's in the lower price range in 2015.

​In my thougts I was pointing to A7 and A6000 ;)

Sorry man, you want to spend $1000 and have it all? Even spending $5000 is not going to get you that perfect camera either!

Given what you stated earlier in the post, I suggest keeping an eye on Samsung.

​It looks like there aren't the perfect camera. Or, there is a perfect camera for YOU. That's the tricky part.

I watched dozens of videos about A6000, A7 and D5300 in the the last days. I started to like D5300 image, it looks better for me, especially in wide scenes with many details. I'm going to check D5300 in the shop, but also try once again A6000 and maybe A7 if I will find it :)

Had to pick up the Nikon ED AF 80-200mm f/2.8D from the post office today... Wasn't at home last week (still 2014), celebrating new years in London and all, so I was quite excited to get my first piece of 2015 filmmaking gear when I saw the post office notification this weekend telling me to come pick it up next work day.

Wasn't expecting to pick up another little piece of Nikon gear as well...

Ag9g76j.jpg

For some reason, last night I was just surfing around on the web... and then some wave carried me to a site I would browse for a bit when suddenly I stumbled upon a very very good deal (MediaMarkt is celebrating 25 years anniversary over here). The Nikon D5300 with 18-55mm II for 499 EUR with additional 50 cashback at checkout, coming in at 449 EUR total! That's a very sweet deal, considering I checked Geizhals.eu and getting this combo would normally set me back at least 628 EUR excluding shipment. I saw they still had it 'in stock' at my local store, couldn't resist and ordered (paid) one! Logged in there this morning to see if it wasn't in fact a dream and really a this good of a deal. Yup. There it was sitting in my purchase history for 449. However, I did notice they were advertising it a bit differently all of a sudden. Now it advertised the kit being 499 AFTER applying the 50 cashback, listing the camera for 549 (still a good price though). So, before they would cancel all the already placed orders (not sure if they can just do that, but I imagined they could), I just went ahead and picked it up. So a little more than 24hrs ago, I still had no idea, that the Nikon lens wasn't the only bit of Nikon gear I was going to pick up today. I've been recommending the D5300 to people looking to buy an entry-level stills camera for quite some time (can't really recommend them the 700D, now can I?) and had a secret little crush on it myself, but was never really tempted to get me one. But now that I have the 28-70mm f/2.8D & 80-200mm f/2.8D, already have the Nikon mounted Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 and Sigma ART 18-55mm f/1.8 lying around, actually because of the aperture controle possibilities when combined with a regular adapter or focal reducer/speedbooster/lens turbo and mainly the GH4 and BMPCC; it actually kinda made sense. It will be my first steps into something bigger sensor sized than micro four thirds. Since I'm a hybrid shooter, I'm sure the D5300 will be great for me and can't wait to try it out as stills & motion camera.

since the D5500 is out

Ah...  http://www.nikonusa.com/en/About-Nikon/Press-Room/Press-Release/i49ohklf/Inspired-Photos-with-Flair%2C-Ready-to-Share%3A-New-Nikon-D5500-DSLR-Helps-Creatively-Capture-the-Moments-that-Matter.html

So let's see... monocoque structure... touchscreen... flat picture control... $999.95. Sensor... processor, AF system etc seems still the same though.

D5300 is pretty good, and since the D5500 is out you should be able to snag one for cheap.

​They'll be paying you to buy a D5200 soon! They are still very good cameras if you don't want/need 50/60 fps.

I use two D5200's for video and a D810 for stills. All fantastic cameras.

Had to pick up the Nikon ED AF 80-200mm f/2.8D from the post office today... Wasn't at home last week (still 2014), celebrating new years in London and all, so I was quite excited to get my first piece of 2015 filmmaking gear when I saw the post office notification this weekend telling me to come pick it up next work day.

Wasn't expecting to pick up another little piece of Nikon gear as well...

Congratulations, buddy! Looking forward to seeing videos taken with your freshly purchased D5300 :)

So rumors about D5500 were true: http://www.nikonusa.com/en/Nikon-Products/Product/dslr-cameras/D5500.html?cid=web-0115-dslr

Differences between D5500 and D5300 in terms of video at first glance:

• D5500 video iso range up to 25 600 (in D5300 max 12 800)
  • flat image profile
  • Selectable Audio Frequency Range "wide/voice" - although no word yet if we can adjust audio gain during video recording
  • built-in interval for timelapse
  • touchscreen + touchscreen AF
  • "improved" AF in live view
  • camera settings can be adjusted with phone/tablet  (on D5300 you can just take photo and import it) - but still no video recording through Wi-Fi
  • lighter
  • better battery life

I also found handy guide for Nikon DSLRs describing video functions: http://cdn-4.nikon-cdn.com/en_INC/o/xFKjr_r3s2Xw1N_-UjTHd2PQf24/PDF/DSLR_Video_Features_Guide_en.pdf

​They'll be paying you to buy a D5200 soon! They are still very good cameras if you don't want/need 50/60 fps.

I use two D5200's for video and a D810 for stills. All fantastic cameras.

​Shouldn't the D810's video be pretty good too?

I definitely wouldn't mind Nikon paying me to take a D5200. :P

​Shouldn't the D810's video be pretty good too?

I definitely wouldn't mind Nikon paying me to take a D5200. :P

​The D810 video is really excellent - natural colours, great auto white balance, full frame look etc etc

I mostly use two cameras for video and like the Super 35 look from the D5200's. The main problem, though, is that I cannot afford two full frame cameras for video!

The 5200's will plummet in price now, and they will be a real bargain, if you want great video and stills. Means you can spend more on lenses :)