Help with equipment

Gensnap

I'm looking for a little guidance.

I have been a film and Tv stills photographer for some years and now shoot both video and stills, so I need both stills camera and video camera. I currently shoot stills with a Canon 5D III and video with a Canon XF300 video camera. The video needs to be broadcast compatible, so minimum 50mbps 4:2:2 and minimum 8 bit. The XF300 has been great but i need something that gives me a shallow depth of field, at least for the interviews. The other requirement is a silent stills camera. So, the fairly obvious choice is the Sony A7S which shoots pretty good video and has a silent shutter. I currently have all Canon lenses and know that with the Metabones adapter I can use them, albeit not awfully well, at least in terms of AF. My 'dilemma"is firstly, can I sync XLR sound with the A7S? Does the new XLR package for the A7S sync with the picture in camera or can I get an external monitor/recorder to do that? And would I be silly to sell my XF300. I shoot all my video alone so negating the need to fiddle with syncing sound is a must, with my XF300 this isn't an issue. I'm tempted to jump Canon ship completely and swap in my 5D II for a A7 II (mostly for specials photography) and get the A7S for silent stills and video, it's just the XLR syncing that's bothering me.

Any advise would be most appreciated, it's a minefield out there and having to split ones brain between stills and video is challenging when for years it was just a few rolls of 120 and a Hasselblad :)) Cheers !

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs