Does the Metabones adapter (Canon EF to Sony E-Mount MKIII) allow aperture control when recording video on the sony A7S ?

mostman

Hi, the reason I'm asking is that I bought a yongnuo smart adapter for my canon glass but it turns out it does not allow me to change the aperture when recording video, however I can change aperture just fine when shooting stills. Is this a limitation of the cheap adapter or am I not using the correct settings on the A7S. so if I invest in a metabones will it have the same issue ?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

The MB NEX to EF IV allows changing the aperture in video mode. Only major bug found is that when changing lenses between the 24-105 F4L and 50 1.4, the camera sometimes crashes (shows a black screen). I have to remove the battery a few times (camera on) before it starts working (I think changing lenses with power on might also work). If you need to effectively change exposure during certain shots, auto ISO works well as it's very smooth.

The Metabones IV has a larger inner hole and matt coating.       Glad I got it over the III because my favourite lens is a Canon 24 tilt shift lens.

http://www.metabones.com/products/details/MB-EF-E-BM4

I had my first experience of it stopping work last night, just took the battery out for a second and it was fine.

Great I just picked a mark IV today for a good price, I just tried it with my lenses the aperture  works perfect in video, however the auto focus on my 50mm 1.8 and the 28mm 2.8 didn't work. Would the battery removal do the trick or do I need to maybe update the firmware ? 

Edit: the autofocus worked on the other cheaper adapter, it's a yongnuo Brand.

• 1 month later...

I am having issues using my Canon 50mm f1.2L and Canon 300mm F4L IS USM using the mark iv (0.4 firmware) on the a7s. Strangely, when using the original Speed booster with the same lens combination, it works perfectly fine. Not sure why they made the software or hardware different considering the speedbooster version just has an optical reducer.