New iFFmpeg Samsung NX1 H.265 transcoding app for the Mac is the best yet

Andrew Reid

Mmm just tested iffmpeg on my new Imac Retina (upgraded with the 4ghz processor, 16gb ram and GPU 4gb).

It seems to run slower than on my retina 15" macbook pro early 2013. 

This seems weird. It takes 3 minutes to convert a 15 seconds clip. I think on my mbpr it took approx 3 times the amount of time to convert.

Anyone else noticed something like that ?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators

Mmm just tested iffmpeg on my new Imac Retina (upgraded with the 4ghz processor, 16gb ram and GPU 4gb).

It seems to run slower than on my retina 15" macbook pro early 2013. 

This seems weird. It takes 3 minutes to convert a 15 seconds clip. I think on my mbpr it took approx 3 times the amount of time to convert.

Anyone else noticed something like that ?

​Sounds normal to me, early macbook pro 2013 compared to top of the range new iMac is going to be a lot slower isn't it!!

I just tested iffmpeg and on my 4 year old iMAC i7 a 42 second 3840 - 4K clip took 11 minutes. Another thing I'm wondering is the H.265 codec is suppose to be 1/4 the size of H.264 I believe, so this 42 second clip is 406MB, can that be right? I guess it has to be because that's what it is, man that seems gigantic for such a short clip. Converted to ProRes LT is 2.25GB. Massive!

• 4 weeks later...

I'm interested in the NX1 users settings for transcoding to Prores.

When I used wondershare I really needed to use the 4444 settings to get the best results. I'm getting different results with iffmpeg. I don't seem to have much difference in quality between light / standard / high quality.

Although the bitrates are much different  - so is the file size - I can't seem to notice much difference. In blind tests situations I can't tell which is the best.

Have any of you tried to blind test different settings ?

EDIT: For now I'm using standard profile (PRORES). It does give me a x6 bigger file size...

Cheers :) 

I'm interested in the NX1 users settings for transcoding to Prores.

​I'm developing a fast transcoding tool for Windows (not sure if a Mac version is needed as iFFmpeg seems to have the bases covered). For testing I bring multiple clips into PPro with different settings and lay them on top of each other. I then toggle between the original and the other versions at 400% zoom, as well as watching in motion and at normal zoom. In addition to supporting ProRes, I'm doing tests with a 10-bit build of ffmpeg to allow the creation of 422 10-bit H.264 (IPB and ALL-I) in an MXF container. This is basically what Sony markets as the high-end XAVC codec used in the FS7 and above.The goal is to see if the newer AVC spec allows for higher quality at a lower bitrate vs. ProRes (and still edits about as fast).

More info about ProRes to help with selecting which version to use here: https://www.apple.com/final-cut-pro/docs/Apple_ProRes_White_Paper.pdf

Hey guys, I'm getting the opposite results for transcoding with iffmpeg.

Wondershare can convert a 15 second clip in about 30 seconds

iFFmpeg takes 3 minutes.

Any ideas what might be slowing it down?

I'm converting from h265 to standard Prores

Give this a try and see if it's any faster. it was for me!

http://sourceforge.net/p/rockymountainsmovieconverter/wiki/Home/

Just noticed everything is in Korean. Pretty easy to figure it out, but in case anyone wants to whip through without thinking, I converted the user interface to English (except the progress window). You just replace the index.html file in the same folder as the program with the one I have attached to this message. :)

index.html

​There are English version as well. You just have to click around to find them. 

http://sourceforge.net/projects/rockymountainsmovieconverter/files/osx-64/

Use this link, then download "RMCC-0.2.00.0-osx64-en.zip" 

I had the same issue when I first downloaded it because the main download link is the Korean version hah, but I clicked around long enough and found the English version. 

I can't see any difference so far in terms of quality between Prores HQ in rocky mountain vs iffmpeg. But iffmpeg does give you the ability to encode in ProRes 4444. While it might seem huge overkill, in certain precise situations it might be a little bit better than HQ (I would only use it on very specific shots with heavy macro blocking for ex.).

Now that being said Rocky Mountain is so much faster that I'm sticking with it for now ! :) (and I did buy iffmpeg so I'm not biased)

It definitely is faster. According to many on this site RMMC and iffmpeg are the same interface, which I don't doubt, but somehow this guy has figured out the iffmpeg settings that are night and day faster and created his own App. I've stated before, you can talk to iffmpeg and basically get nothing out of them, because I don't think they even know. Oh well, sooner than later it won't even be an issue anymore! 

​There are English version as well. You just have to click around to find them. 

http://sourceforge.net/projects/rockymountainsmovieconverter/files/osx-64/

Use this link, then download "RMCC-0.2.00.0-osx64-en.zip" 

I had the same issue when I first downloaded it because the main download link is the Korean version hah, but I clicked around long enough and found the English version. 

​Well it looks like I went through all that for nothing haha. Ah well

I can't see any difference so far in terms of quality between Prores HQ in rocky mountain vs iffmpeg. But iffmpeg does give you the ability to encode in ProRes 4444. While it might seem huge overkill, in certain precise situations it might be a little bit better than HQ (I would only use it on very specific shots with heavy macro blocking for ex.).

Now that being said Rocky Mountain is so much faster that I'm sticking with it for now ! :) (and I did buy iffmpeg so I'm not biased)

​I agree! iFFmpeg I will use if I need those options and can spare the day.

But RockyMountains is just blowing through this footage! Love it