Exciting but confusing times..

Asa

Hi all, just signed up to forum but been reading the site for a long time now, thanks Andrew!

So I'm a student on a very tight budget and currently own a 60D which I've had for a year or so. Liked it at first but I'm becoming very reluctant to fork out money on EF lenses when Canon don't seem to be upping their game at all..

So with the GH2 knocking APS-C Canons out the park in most aspects I'm tempted to jump ship, my questions really are:

- Is there much else around to consider/on the way? Whats the latest on the rumour mill for the GH3? From what I can tell the GH2 is still pretty clearly on top video wise at this price point and will remain up there for the foreseeable future but I really want to double check before shelling out what's a lot of money for me.n

- Going to have a play with one soon as I can, mostly for stills mode (can't really get an opinion of video without the hack, will check for controls though), but how does it fair up for stills? I expect it to be worse than the 60D but is it still 'good'?

- Lens wise, what is the best/most common option? Get an adaptor for PL/M42 lenses?

Anything else to consider?

Thanks a bunch in advance for any comments!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
Thanks for the reply, the GH2 seems a much better choice over the NEX7 to me, what exactly do you mean by 'secure'?

Yeah okay, I'd certainly like to wait at least until the GH3 (rumoured for August time right?).

• Administrators
The NEX lens range is pretty limiting from Sony. But the adaptable lenses are fantastic on the NEX 7 - you have virtually everything to choose from that you do on the GH2 (apart from the Voigtlander Nokton and Micro Four Thirds range).

[quote author=Andrew Reid link=topic=842.msg6076#msg6076 date=1339689744]
The NEX lens range is pretty limiting from Sony. But the adaptable lenses are fantastic on the NEX 7 - you have virtually everything to choose from that you do on the GH2 (apart from the Voigtlander Nokton and Micro Four Thirds range).
[/quote]Ah okay, still, the GH2 appears the better camera with the hack and form factor. Could I ask what you would do if you had a 60D and limited budget at the moment Andrew? Sell for GH2 or wait for GH3 or other?

I was in a similar situation one month ago. I bought the GH2, with the hack it will be a great camera for years to come. You can still upgrade in 3-4 years and even then the GH2 will be a great "b" camera.

No one knows what the gh3 will bring (for example the new canon 650d is not really a serious step forward). And there is always a new generation around the corner.

On the other hand, you still have the 60d and can use that until september or october.

[quote author=Mirrorkisser link=topic=842.msg6194#msg6194 date=1339968229]
I was in a similar situation one month ago. I bought the GH2, with the hack it will be a great camera for years to come. You can still upgrade in 3-4 years and even then the GH2 will be a great "b" camera.

No one knows what the gh3 will bring (for example the new canon 650d is not really a serious step forward). And there is always a new generation around the corner.

On the other hand, you still have the 60d and can use that until september or october.
[/quote]Yeah! Difficult choice, I think I'll probably end up waiting, in any case GH2 will at least be cheaper if 3 isn't worth it, but Panasonics commitment to GH3's video is really promising. Just hope price isnt too much more as Id like to have enough for some more lenses/grip equipment.

• Administrators
[quote author=Asa link=topic=842.msg6179#msg6179 date=1339947148]
Andrew? Sorry to ask just really can't make a decision, would like some input from someone who truly knows the budget market inside out.
[/quote]

Don't wait to buy a camera. GH2 is a no-brainer right now. The GH3 will cost you more and kill the quality of your shooting before it arrives because you won't have a camera at all, or a lesser quality one. I'd go for the GH2 and if the GH3 turns out to be a big step forward you can sell and pay the difference. Just be prepared to invest in some nice glass in the mean time, Canon FD a good place to start - the 35mm F2, 50mm F1.4 and 85mm F1.8 are superb looking on the GH2 and cheaper than anything from Panasonic.

You can do great things with a GH2 and the lens selection is a huge plus.

The lenses Andrew mentioned are all good choices, as are used Rokkors with an Minolta MD/MC to M43 adapter. I recently shot a music video that mixed RED Scarlet footage with a multi-thousand dollar Cooke 20-100mm lens with a GH2 using Rokkor glass (and for a few shots, a Tokina 28mm). While I think the Tokina is "alright", the bokeh on the Rokkor MC 58mm f/1.4 is nothing short of amazing for the price and it one of my favorites that I have used on that camera (almost as good as the Nokton f/0.95 options).

I shoot most of my stills with Canon but most of my video with the GH2.

[quote author=Mirrorkisser link=topic=842.msg6221#msg6221 date=1340024328]
the lumix 14mm f2.5 is a very cheap and solid choice for a wide lens. You can get it on ebay for around 160 dollars.

and there are superb 12 mm solutions for micro four thirds.
[/quote]Thanks! Does look like a good wide lens for a good price, shame it doesnt have focus markings on it but otherwise definitely seems like a possible purchase. The crop factor was something that worried me with the GH2 but it's good to see wide angle lenses that are cheap and high quality for it making it less of a problem.

28mm as the 35mm equiv isn't too bad, can probably live with that.
Haven't looked into adaptor mount lenses too much yet but even the Olympus 8-16mm or Lumix 7-14mm seem good (if only f4 and bit pricey). Surprises me that barrel distortion isn't that much of a problem it seems at wide angles for micro 4/3s.