GH2 Hack problems...

Wedookayfilms

Hey so I recently hacked my gh2 with the moon t7 hack from person-view, but when I got home from my shoot this weekend, and loaded my memory card into my macbook- the files were not there. Then I put the memory card back into my gh2 and it said No valid picture to display. I freaked... But after looking through everything I found a bunch of .MTS files on the memory card, and after converting to .MOV,  I was ok... But that was scary and I didn't understand. Is it the hack? The memory card?

On a bigger note- can someone recommend a great hack for the gh2 or more reliable hack that still gets beautiful quality. Moon t8? Thank you!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators

Some of the hacks don't allow playback in-camera which is what freaked you out.

It's normal. Recording is fine unless it stops half way through a shot.

Go for a hack with a lower bitrate, you'll have to sacrifice quality for reliability.

Then give it up and get a GH4 already, it's 2015 :)

Well I just tried it again and it stopped recording mid shot after 5 minutes (it did this last time), and then when I tried to import and pull up final cut- the files cant be imported - they appear in .MTS format so i have to convert them... Is this a problem with the hack or the memory card? Im going to try a new memory card and see what happens..

But I was considering a gh4 for my next purchase! Can you hack the gh4? Do you even need to? Is better than the gh2 or is there a long debate about this? 

But how come it won't show up in final cut x? It wont let me import. With the older hack when I plugged my gh2- it imported and linked up right away. But with this hack I have to convert the files and then it imports.. I tried a different memory card and the same thing happened- but I tried my other gh2 with the same hack and it recorded fine, so Im not sure what is going on..

I just want to find a new hack that is quality but reliable- can anyone recommend one?

@ Wedookfilms

Give Flowmotion v2 a try...very reliable.

I had problems with cards until I bought Sandisk Extreme pro 95 MB / 64gb.

I also reverted to extracting my files out of the camera via the daggy Photofunshop software supplied with the GH2 to a file on my desktop...it works well and was advised to do it like that to ensure spanning.

These days I don't use a patch cause I'm not that good at grading, and I reckon the look of a stock GH2 is good enough as it is.

Cheers.  

@Wedookfilms 

I'm sure things will be much easier with that card, but as Andrew said, playbacks not possible with some patches, or you only get part playback.

I never tried Moon, at the time as I was quite happy with Drewnet T8 as it gave me no problems with large files.

I'd say Flowmotion compares with Drewnet 8, but Drewnet probably offers more scope if you can grade, and you like long gop (I liked the results)

Haven't tried sanity either but a lot of people like its reliablity.

Cheers.