Shooting 4k and downscaling. No resolution benefits?

richg101

I have an A7s and internal is probably barley 720p in real resolution terms. Once you get the HDMI feed the higher bitrate and resolution when downsampled to 1080 is vastly superior. As Webrunner5 correctly points out UHD (not quite 4k) is only just a bit over 8mp so not very taxing on a lens designed for a 36x24 filmgate even at near wide open apertures. Now if you start using smaller sensors like M43 with denser pixels then you may start to see resolution issues but that's another matter. Forget the maths and use your eyes......

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Sorry for the related but not quite on-topic question.. I've been shooting 4K for a little while and this is my first project where I'm outputting 1080 so I can crop/zoom/etc. but I'm having a lot of trouble getting the full resolution to come through in the output.  Would love to get some help from the experts here.

At first I thought it was something with my 1080 proxies being used on the render but when I did an even more basic test with a new project using high-res stills only (and no proxies), I still get low-resolution output when scaling up the source image.  I'm sure I'm missing some really obvious setting here.. but what?

Below is a visual explanation of what I'm seeing.. 1080 output h264 file on the left, source image on the right in Photoshop.  Sequence settings and clip settings shown below, along with the output render settings.  Also, when I drag the image sequence clip onto the timeline I get the "This clip does not match the sequence's settings.  Change sequence to match the clip's settings?".  To which I answer "Keep existing settings", since I want to keep my sequence 1080.

Sorry for the super basic question.. been googling for a while and still can't find the right fix

17.8MP_on_1080_Sequence.jpg