NX1 second thoughts, change for GH4 or A7S

Hitfabryk

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Well guess what. Bug back again and I can't get rid of it like I did just a few hours ago.

Jeez, maybe I'm just going crazy. 

​Haha! That's how it goes with me as well. I get it to disappear, then I sneeze, or do some other odd thing, and shazaam! the glitch is back! Maddening!!!!

Here is my attempt to hand hold and focus at the same time. No exposure shifting.. I am editing more. I had to convert the HD to Prores to edit it. I ended up with one very strange file that the camera just could not shoot right it was showing problems on a sign out in the water..

This clip has 3 versions

first is right out of the camera no editing - Second is my color pop setting i created, Third is my Cine-blend setting i created

@DigitalEd love the detail on this little camera, that's probably why I'm giving it another try. That and it just feels so great in my hands, especially for photography.

I got the drift without overexposure. It might have to do with the wide angle, dunno.

Here goes:

Yaa see that in your video i am not getting it now but i was just like that and worse.

One other thing i changed is the color setting to Adobe not sure if that has any effect on the video.

I am going to send mine back and get another one... I got the kit for $2799 and now that i see how it all works and what i really need i do not need the NX1 for photography i have other cameras for that so if i am going to run the camera in manual and manual focus then i do not need the $1200 plus Samsung lens or the battery grip i have never used yet.

This will give me a extra $1299 to spend on a Nikon lens adopter I all ready have some good Nikon glass, Then i can add on a older manual focus 300mm and 70-200 i have all the wide ones all ready, Should still have some $$ left to go towards a camera rig.

This way i only have invested the $1500 in the body and in a year if another brand has the best offering and i change all i need is the right lens adopter and i am all set with lens and camera rig.

I am looking at the NX1 as a beginner 4K camera to get my feet wet in 4K and to learn to work with it as i develop a plan for my future 4k productions. I want to do Tv show production or tv documentary work in the past i was good at creating my own productions and finding people to pay for it i lived for many years producing local tv shows making all my money from my paid sponsors i went out and found myself i used to buy all my own air time to at one point i was buying air time in 7 markets for one show i did 90% of all the work on.

I've had it switched to Adobe RGB as well, will try sRGB when I get the new unit. So hope that it's going to work out, the 4k is so sweet for landscapes. I've ordered the kit version with the cheapo 16 50 3.5 lens and battery grip and the 16 50 2.0 separately. Definitely want at least one Sammy lens for the great AF, but I probably won't keep the expensive 16 50, I'd much rather have a Zeiss 21 Nikon, the Sammy distortion on the wide end is unacceptable anyway.

Can you put a NX to Nikon mount and then put a Nikon Metbones adapter on the NX1? If you can is there any issues with focusing to infinity?

​Heh, with that flange distance you wouldn't have to worry about focus issues, but rather about vignetting from hell. ; )

Or wait, it's the other way round, isn't it? It's gonna get cropped? Never had extenders, they probably do the same. Focusing would probably be influenced though, I guess. Just speculating, someone who actually knows should chime in.

EDIT: Crop it is, this is from Wikipedia about Extension Tubes:

The farther away the lens is, the closer the focus, the greater the magnification, and also the greater the loss of light (requiring a longer exposure time). 

4th post in a row, yeah.

So, I have the replacement body. And, lo and behold, the issue persists, even though it isn't as pronounced (might be the Sammy lenses I got, though, last time I tried with Nikon lenses; switching O.I.S. on and off doesn't seem to make a difference, though). Ordered from a different dealer, so I suggest that a ) only the cameras in Germany or Europe or whatever are affected or b ) the people who don't see it are blind. :D

I was able to reproduce it with all different kinds of settings, I've updated the firmware and so on, no real changes. It's just that sometimes it's not that pronounced. BUT, I think I found a surefire way to confirm this on your camera. Every time the exposure shifts occur, if you're in a relatively dark setting (being in a relatively dark room and just having a monitor in front of you to pan to for the triggering of the effect helps), anywho; every time this occurs and if the EVF is active, you'll see a flash in it that definitely can't be missed. It's similar to this thing that occurs when the AF has locked on, it makes the screen very bright for a little moment (don't know if this is a setting, it would sure help with night photography which I wasn't able to pull of with a manual lens, because you see almost nothing in the dark). It would be really great if people tried this, so we can know if it's a general issue with this camera. Man, I sure love this thing, especially for shooting photos, but I need a video camera mainly. After all, this might have to do with the backlit sensor and not be fixable via firmware update, dunno.

Besides that I've noticed how warm the camera gets (no wonder with the monster CPU) and even starts so smell like asbestos. :D I wonder if that's going to be an issue.

Well, will have to see. One of these days I'm heading off for the field to see if the footage is usable, after all it doesn't seem to be as bad as with the last unit. Might have to do with me using the Sammy lenses now, though.

Still, I'm under the impression that this is a stills camera that had the video mode added hastily. No wonder, too, Nikon and Canon haven't been doing it differently.

I have one and a half weeks to return the camera, so if the firmware update comes within that window and fixes the issue, I'm probably going to keep it. Otherwise, it will finally be the a7s. I'm still a bit skeptical though, sure Samsung are featuring a whole lot of stuff within such a short time, but I still have the feeling they might not fix anything but rather add features that sound nice marketing-wise. So probably 1–2 more updates and then nothing much will be happening. We'll see.

​They, Samsung, know this is an issue, so my guess is this update will be slightly delayed until that fix is included. I would think they should realize if it isn't fixed soon, there will be a mass of their product returned, and everything good people think and are saying about Samsung would be somewhat tarnished.