NX1 second thoughts, change for GH4 or A7S

Hitfabryk

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Try as I might I just can't reproduce the problem at the moment. With Samsung lens attached (30mm F2.0 pancake).

Does it still do the exposure change in live-view when the SD card is removed?

​It does not happen when in photo mode if you mean that. Only after you enable video mode(which you cannot enable when there is no sd card in the camera).

• Administrators

​It does not happen when in photo mode if you mean that. Only after you enable video mode(which you cannot enable when there is no sd card in the camera).

​What happens if you don't enable video mode (it's not really a mode, more a standby preview thing) and just hit record straight from live-view?

Would be interesting to see if this is a problem only with the Samsung lenses.

Better to get a Nikon adapter and use AI stuff.

​I've tried putting old Pentax lenses on and get the same results. I don't think its lens related. Easiest way to test this is point at a window and overexpose until zebras are filling the frame. Go into movie preview mode. Whip down to the floor. What I'm seeing is that the floor "settles" into a darker exposure over the course of some frames. 

• Administrators

​I've tried putting old Pentax lenses on and get the same results. I don't think its lens related. Easiest way to test this is point at a window and overexpose until zebras are filling the frame. Go into movie preview mode. Whip down to the floor. What I'm seeing is that the floor "settles" into a darker exposure over the course of some frames. 

​It must be Framing Mode being "on".

Can't be anything else.

It's what I turned off when I had the issue, had me mystified for a bit as well.

Also I just got this message on Vimeo from another NX1 user. He confirms the problem was caused by Framing Mode as well.

---

I'm experiencing an issue with my Samsung NX1 and I was wondering, if you've ever encountered that yourself. Been on the field filming today and I've noticed a strange pumping, pulsating, brightness changing (or whatever you might call it) in the picture. It happens with no change in the framing or lighting, but I've also noticed some kind of Auto ISO or Exposure Compensation when shifting the camera into the sun.

UPDATE: I think I've just found the culprit. There's the Framing Mode under shooting options which is supposed to adjust the display exposure (and just that of the camera OLED display. It seems to be actually adjusting the recording. Neat little bug. Have to confirm this tomorrow outside, but I'm pretty sure this is it. You can probably easily reproduce this. Just activate Frame Guide, use spot metering and then move the framing into a bright light source.

Can't be anything else.

It's what I turned off when I had the issue, had me mystified for a bit as well.

Also I just got this message on Vimeo from another NX1 user. He confirms the problem was caused by Framing Mode as well.

---

I'm experiencing an issue with my Samsung NX1 and I was wondering, if you've ever encountered that yourself. Been on the field filming today and I've noticed a strange pumping, pulsating, brightness changing (or whatever you might call it) in the picture. It happens with no change in the framing or lighting, but I've also noticed some kind of Auto ISO or Exposure Compensation when shifting the camera into the sun.

UPDATE: I think I've just found the culprit. There's the Framing Mode under shooting options which is supposed to adjust the display exposure (and just that of the camera OLED display. It seems to be actually adjusting the recording. Neat little bug. Have to confirm this tomorrow outside, but I'm pretty sure this is it. You can probably easily reproduce this. Just activate Frame Guide, use spot metering and then move the framing into a bright light source.

​I wish it was Andrew....I wish it was :( 

Sadly it is off on my camera. I tried setting it on and off again. Did not fix it for me.

Ah, funny, finally found this thread. Glad, I'm not the only one with that issue. I'm said above Vimeo user. :D

So, I'll have to check out my findings in a few hours outside under daylight conditions. But testing inside I was under the impression that it had to do both with the Frame Guide and the metering mode. I seemed to get the best results with Frame Guide disabled and Center Weighted Metering. Choosing Spot Metering you can reproduce the issue best.

It's probably fixable through a firmware update, but I found another thread started by an NX300 user who had a strange issue with footage pulsating, losing sharpness at times. Samsung answered him that it was a feature and wasn't going to be fixed. This doesn't exactly comfort me. http://***URL removed***/forums/thread/3651399

This would really be a deal breaker for me. I like the NX1, it has so good ergonomics compared to the A7S, but with the A7S you can hardly produce bad footage (grading is another thing, of course). So if this issue persists, I'm probably returning the NX1 as long as I can and get the Sony back.

Can't be anything else.

---

​Andrew's fix seems to work to an extent. However in movie mode I cannot get the camera into SEMI autofocus, it defaults to full auto focus. Then, if I switch off the AF on the lens barrel, the exposure drift returns. So it looks like for the moment, in movie mode, I'm either stuck with exposure drift or constant autofocus. 

Btw, my framing was already on OFF, so to get Andrew's fix to work, I turned it ON, then OFF again and the fix seemed to work. 

Didn't Andrew recommend not to use movie mode and just press record from stills mode? Yet people are still talking about movie mode. It would be good for someone who is not experiencing the problem to replicate the scenario to show it is possible to not have the issue.

None of this has changed anything on my camera :( Manual focus, auto focus, framing mode on, framing mode off. Does not matter what I do(the menu isn't that large, I have been through everything in there) always the same exposure shift. I have also been trying to see if I could reproduce the effect with my gh2, as someone on facebook said it was just optics, when light hits the sensor. I do not think thats it. 

P.S. Just looking in lcd of both cameras the gh2 looks to have better dynamic range than NX1, also very disappointing.

As of today, 90% chance of return, 9 days left.

Thanks for the help guys :)