NX1 second thoughts, change for GH4 or A7S

Hitfabryk

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators

Like I say I noticed it once and it went away after some menu changes. Sorry can't be of more help.

I did shoot with a Sammy lens in the video, the 30mm F2.0 pancake. It behaved itself.

Get the Nikon adapter and see if it does the same thing. If it works, then the lens aperture or something to do with the firmware is fiddling with the image.

Here are the main things to turn off:

Framing mode (adjusts brightness on the fly for live-view)

Auto ISO (obviously)

Check iris isn't moving during the problematic shot (look into the lens)

Turn off auto display brightness

Put metering on Multi

Set Dynamic Range (Off) in stills menu and in movie menu turn Smart Range Plus + Off

It could be a bug where a stills menu function like "Dynamic range" or "Framing Mode" is interfering with movie recording. In theory Framing Mode should only change the live-view display but it might impact the recording too due to a bug so turn it to off.

Good luck! I know it can work fine. Just a matter of finding the culprit.

So I did some testing with my NX1 to find out how to help Ivar and unfortunately I found that I have the same problem and can't find a fix. When panning from a well lit area to a darker area the camera seems to automatically adjusts exposure, but the wrong way!  The well lit area gets brighter and dark area gets darker.  

I can confirm this problem with the following settings on three different lenses (Samsung 16-50 S, 50-150 S and Rokinon 12mm for NX):

• Manual Mode (Fixed aperture, shutter speed and ISO)
  • Manual Focus
  • OIS "Off"
  • Dynamic Range and Smart Range+ "Off"
  • Framing Mode "Off"
  • Overexposure Guide "Off"
  • WB set to "Tungsten" to avoid AWB
  • Exposure mode makes no difference (Same problem with Multi, Center Weighted and Spot)
  • Display Auto Brightness "Off"
  • Camera Firmware 1.10

How can the exposure shift if aperture, shutter speed and ISO are fixed? I won't bother posting a video since my video looks almost exactly like Ivar's video, which captures it perfectly.  

I welcome any help from other NX1 users.  I've been through the menus a few times now and can't find anything else to turn off. TIA.

It seems it only happens when there is a overexposed area you pan/tilt to. For example: Bright sky above, shooting something in shadow. If you expose for the subject in the shadow and then pan/tilt up to the burned out sky the "light shift" kicks in and brightens the image. If you expose for the sky and do the move again the "light shift" does not happen but you end up with underexposed image in the shadows.

We need to contact Samsung about this. Anybody have an idea where it is best to contact them? I tried to google it but did not find like a official forum with bug reports and feature requests.

I've encountered this sporadically as well when panning from a clipped zebra zone - I think it's an exposure compensation bug, and should be an easy firmware fix. Two things I'm curious if others can confirm they also get: 

1: When I start recording my videos fade in ever so slightly.

2: In the status display window on top of the camera the "EV" (exposure adjustment value) bounces around while recording. 

I've encountered this sporadically as well when panning from a clipped zebra zone - I think it's an exposure compensation bug, and should be an easy firmware fix. Two things I'm curious if others can confirm they also get:

1: When I start recording my videos fade in ever so slightly.

2: In the status display window on top of the camera the "EV" (exposure adjustment value) bounces around while recording.

​1. Yes, this happens but was talked about in the manual. It says "do not be suprised if image loses exposure when video mode is engaged. This is normal." Something like that. I don't know why.

2. Does it bounce around when you are still? It happens for me when I move the camera but thats just the exposure meter working, reading the frame, I think.

​1. Yes, this happens but was talked about in the manual. It says "do not be suprised if image loses exposure when video mode is engaged. This is normal." Something like that. I don't know why.

2. Does it bounce around when you are still? It happens for me when I move the camera but thats just the exposure meter working, reading the frame, I think.

​1: Ah, I missed that in the manual. Still seems to be related; everything is set to manual but "something" is changing exposure. 

2: Originally thought that it was just a light measurement too, but on page 55 of the manual they call that the "exposure adjustment value".