An affordable articulated screen with peaking for the 5D Mark III - The Swivi USA

Andrew Reid

• Administrators
[html]

[img]http://www.eoshd.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/P6130015.jpg[/img]

The Swivi USA monitor costs just $330 on Amazon USA. (I picked mine up in Europe for 229 euros at [url="http://www.meinfoto.com/Suche/650006.htm?VL=650006"]MeinFoto in Berlin[/url])

Here’s a monitor that plugs the hole left by Canon when they forgot to include an articulated screen and peaking on the 5D Mark III.

How does it perform and is it worth getting?

[url="http://www.eoshd.com/content/8189/an-affordable-articulated-screen-with-peaking-for-the-5d-mark-iii-the-swivi-usa/"]Read full article[/url]

[/html]

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
It's a cool idea, especially since there's no HDMI cord dangling around, which is awesome. I wonder if there's enough of a market for Zacuto to make something like this for the 5D3. It doesn't seem like the camera is flying off the shelves to video people like the 5D2 is. Most people just aren't that excited about Canon anymore with all the let downs, and seem to be waiting on the Black Magic or moving up to a Sony.

I think the real reason there is no flip screen is because of all the still Photogs at Canonrumors.com bitching about how a flip screen is for amateurs and a real photographer has no use for a flip screen or an LCD for that matter.

Any fool would know having an articulated screen would compromise the physical build structure prone to having it broken off if dropped, leaned on heavily, etc, so I'm glad Canon did not move it up to their pro line. If you want an articulated screen just buy a  cheap mini monitor that fit into your hot shoe. Just use Magic Lantern hack if you want peaking.

• Administrators
[quote author=jaybirch link=topic=841.msg6071#msg6071 date=1339672051]
Another day, another thinly veiled dig at Canon. Why no articulated screen on my high end stills camera  :'(

Would you even have written this article if it hadn't given you a platform to bash Canon?
[/quote]

Another day, another troll comment from you. Good job I am in a good mood today, tomorrow I might not be so willing to let you continue to post your bullshit.

I need an articulated screen, it helps my composition and my focus. I can do without the added hassle of spidery arms, rig assembles, cages and monitors - not to mention the added cost and bulk. So I'd rather have the solution built into the camera. Canon didn't provide it, so they deserve the ear bashing from me as a customer.

Sometimes I feel I can't win, I point out a solution (like this) and you still post a grumpy remark. I could gloss over the problems with Canon's recent DSLRs and sugar it like other bloggers but my readers are intelligent and deserve to know the truth. Are you implying that I am using my blog as a platform to bash Canon for reasons unrelated to the actual facts?

I was looking for an external monitor for my 5D2.  This particular monitor swivels at various angles.  A definite plus.  Yesterday, I had a tickle on my neck.  It was a wasp.  I swatted and stomped.  Later, an ant was munching the wasp's remains and I decided to take a quick video.  I had to crouch down on the cement and take the shot (my old joints aren't what they used to be).  With a swivel screen, the shot would have been alot easier.  This screen gives more flexibility to the shooter.  Andrew points out the benefits.  Would I buy this screen?  Well, I'm going to be upgrading my camera either to the BM, SONY, or the RED and maybe even the Canon 1DC if I don't buy before its release.  If I wasn't buying I'd probably buy this monitor.  Maybe I still will purchase it down the road. 

Andrew's post shows us another option for a monitor.  And yes Canon could have come up with an option too.  Look at the monitor for the C300.  It is amazing. 

[quote author=Andrew Reid link=topic=841.msg6074#msg6074 date=1339689247]
Are you implying that I am using my blog as a platform to bash Canon for reasons unrelated to the actual facts?
[/quote]

Currently, yes... I'm not even implying it, it is just true.

Everyone knows the reason why the 5DIII does not have a swivel screen... absolutely everyone, including you.

[b]Still shooters would hit the roof.[/b]

Ban me... I only come here because my cousin was looking for a budget camera and asked for advice.... this [i][b]was[/b][/i]  a good round up of budget stuff.... now it is just another blog with an agenda.

Hopefully you come to your senses and just get back to posting reviews and insights.

[quote author=jaybirch link=topic=841.msg6084#msg6084 date=1339697978]
[quote author=Andrew Reid link=topic=841.msg6074#msg6074 date=1339689247]
Are you implying that I am using my blog as a platform to bash Canon for reasons unrelated to the actual facts?
[/quote]

Currently, yes... I'm not even implying it, it is just true.

Everyone knows the reason why the 5DIII does not have a swivel screen... absolutely everyone, including you.

[b]Still shooters would hit the roof.[/b]

Ban me... I only come here because my cousin was looking for a budget camera and asked for advice.... this [i][b]was[/b][/i]  a good round up of budget stuff.... now it is just another blog with an agenda.

Hopefully you come to your senses and just get back to posting reviews and insights.
[/quote]

Please ban him. He's f@cking annoying.

In regards to affordable gear, has anyone seen these Chinese knockoff CP primes called CT???
They use real zeiss glass in their own body at a fraction of the cost. A 50mm is only $1065 instead of $3999

Or they can rehouse and customize your old lenses in to a cine-style. Hope this isn't old news.

http://www.pchood.com/电影镜头/film%20lens

Hi Andrew,

How would this Swivi 5.6" screen fit on a GH2? It would probably dwarf it, but, could it be useful for critical focus on the fly (the GH2 screen is often too low res for that) I am interested in the convenience of the peaking function.

Could you post a picture?

Thanks

I have been using the Sony CLM-V55 Monitor ( 5" WVGA LCD) for my 5D2 and 1D4, thru the HDMI connection. It is good when using manual focus lenses, however, there are drawbacks with such HDMI display: 1) Reaction is slow, after a shot, it takes 2 -3 sec before the display comes back, and for you can make another shoot. 2) No fire of flash at the hotshoe, as the camera is at video mode, so the  hotshot does not fire, so it is a problem need flash.