Canon 1D C used price slips under £5000 - and why I decided to take the gamble and get one

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

You have a severe Bipolar disorder Andrew, I mean you actually changed you mind on the internet! :)

Looks like an interesting price. All the cinema line was lowered lately, and I heard about a Canon rep forecasting a 1DC price drop to "FS700 range", so 7000$ seems about right. Would be absolutely lovely! 

• Administrators

So let's get this straight... is that $54,000 the street price, inc. tax or plus tax? What's the situation with the B&H price at $12,000 is that including the US sales tax or does it depend on what state the customer lives in? What is the HK VAT rate?

That's a HUGE reduction by the looks of it!

Re: price drop and Canon comment:  “put it in-line with the Sony FS700″. Did they mean FS7? The FS700 is $6k and FS7 $8K on bhphoto. The FS700 doesn't do 4K internally. The FS7 is a closer match to the 1DC with 4K internal recording with a kick-ass codec: 422 10-bit XAVC. With apparently much improved skin tones which so far appear to compete well with the C300 examples online, the FS7 is a lot more bang for the buck compared to the 1DC where features overlap. The FS7 also does 1080p slomo up to 180fps, has built in NDs, XLR audio, focus peaking, zebras, and a decent swivel screen. With a SpeedBooster it can do a 1.1 crop in 4K vs the 1DC's 1.3x 4K crop. XAVC 4K files are smaller (240Mbps ALL-I and 100Mbps IPB) than the 1DC MJPEG (501Mbps) and don't require transcoding to edit. It sounds like the FS7 needs a firmware update (slow UI, requires reboots for some mode changes, etc.), whereas Canon has a much simpler UI (easier to use, reliable). The smaller DSLR form factor of the 1DC has its advantages, however for a pro-level internally recording 4K camera (with 180fps slomo), the FS7 looks to be very competitive against the 1DC (as in it may be a much better value for video-only applications).

• Administrators

It sounds like the FS7 needs a firmware update (slow UI, requires reboots for some mode changes, etc.), whereas Canon has a much simpler UI (easier to use, reliable). The smaller DSLR form factor of the 1DC has its advantages, however for a pro-level internally recording 4K camera (with 180fps slomo), the FS7 looks to be very competitive against the 1DC (as in it may be a much better value for video-only applications).

​The FS7 is indeed very good value for money and the slow-mo is great too.

However it's quite a different class of camera, it's a C300 type thing not a DSLR. I needed to replace my 5D Mark III not just for video but for stills. The ergonomics of the FS7 are a great improvement over the FS7 but the menus sound like a disaster and the faulty behaviour with the Metabones adapter would be a problem until they fix it. I still hope to check out the FS7, in the meantime the KineMINI 4K looks to be a good alternative. The file sizes in CineForm aren't bad at all for 4K and it does 120fps at nearly 2K... in compressed raw!

I was thinking of purchasing the FS7 but really like the DSLR form factor as thats what I primarily have been using for the past 5 years or so. I like the idea of the A7S but the Canon line I am used to and like the image. I really wish the 1DC offered 30 P in 4K as I mainly do broadcast commercials here in the states. Any ideas of when we would see a 1DC Mark II? 

What's the situation with the B&H price at $12,000 is that including the US sales tax or does it depend on what state the customer lives in?

​In the US prices are NEVER quoted with sales tax included.  Sales tax is usually nowhere near as high as VAT.  Sales tax is usually between 6-8%.

The reason sales tax isn't included is there are many situations where an individual or organization doesn't pay it.

When things are purchased via the internet and the purchaser lives in a different state than the seller no sales tax is collected.  You have to be careful though.  Amazon may be headquartered in one state but it has many distribution centers in other states.  Those distribution centers count for sales tax purposes so a lot of people get screwed when ordering from Amazon.  That's why I prefer to order from B&H.  I don't live in NYC at the moment so I can avoid sales tax.

Jimmy,

The 1D C in 1080p 60 is not in S35 mode..its only in full frame mode..no 4K slow mo either.

The slow mo is softer than the S35 and/or normal full frame mode..however you can sharpen it up a bit..I'd say close to 5D3 footage. Remember its basically a 1D X, so its (was) the best full frame image till the A7s showed up.

Hope that helps.

The ff 1080p 60 of the 1DC is not even close to the quality provided by your fs700 + 7Q.  Tried a youth hockey game in 1080p 60fps and the footage was  mush. 

I own both setups and shot side by side just yesterday at a kite festival in bright white snow with vibrant colored kites.  The 1DC's 4k 24p log (IN MY OPINION) slightly beat the sony's raw 4k in usable dynamic range, natural color, filmic look, and was extremely portable and easy to blend in to the crowd. That said, The fs700 12 bit raw seems to have more fine detail and can provide rich color and saturation in 24,60,120 fps 4k exactly like a raw still camera that the 1DC can't match. The amount you can push the image is incredible. 

thanks guys, it is a real shame.

I'm really struggling to find a nice camera that will shoot 60p with good DR, highlights and colour, yet not weigh a tonne. Alot of my filming is out in nature and as much as i LOVE the FS700/OQ7 combo, it is a beast to take up mountains and stuff. A7s seems like it might be an ok option for 1080/60p?

Alot of my filming is out in nature and as much as i LOVE the FS700/OQ7 combo, it is a beast to take up mountains and stuff.

​do you shoot a lot of wildlife? Just asking if you would consider being able to shoot with telelenses important.