Canon 1D C used price slips under £5000 - and why I decided to take the gamble and get one

Andrew Reid

• Administrators

FYI - There's another one on eBay (in the UK) for £4899 with two batteries here.

The 1D C is a camera that has been the source of both great wonder and bafflement for me since it was released but it is time to bring it into the EOSHD family and shoot with it!

Read the full article here

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators

I can see the point if you want to use it in tests, but for 5000 pounds a medium format back like the p45 would add so much more to your gear bag and blow your mind, even if it's only for stills. I hope you can resell  it again without much loss after spring.

Surely better to spend the extra and get the Pentax 645Z. Anyway, I need this for video.

I love the image, and A7S + Shogun I am finding not quite ideal for the kind of work I will do in 2015, need something weather sealed. Otherwise very nice though!

i think if i had the dispensable 5k£ I'd have got one too.  in combination with an 85 or 135 L lens.  bomb proof dslr that will survive out in the rain all day every day, that also shoots 4k or beautiful 1080p straight to card.  if only the viewfinder was an EVF with punch in capability!

​That would be nice though both of those lenses are not sealed!       I do love the 135 L (on an A7/A7s).

Enjoy, and I am really looking forward for the 4K Shogun NX1, GH4, A7S & 1DC 'show'

Thanks to you (and Ed David) I bought the NX1 with the 16-50mmS and although I am a bit struggling with the H265 I like the quality especially 

with the combination of the picture style setting from you and Ed. It has a (good) EVF and it's weather sealed.

And maybe in the near future the codec is 'normal';)

I wish you good shooting with the 1DC.

Siep

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

I promise you will find A LOT more than you expect reading the specs, I can also promise you'll finding effectively replacing all the new nx1/gh4/a7s gear, you'll get why we keep raving about it. Kind of jealous, always wanted one after I fell in love testing it :D

What an interesting acquisition! I've been enjoying the 1DC for over a year now and I've not seen anything from the FS7 that comes close. With your technical knowledge, can you tell me why the 1DC can't be updated/hacked to allow a 4k output? At the moment I'm using the Ninjablade for HD, which is the best I've seen from a DSLR when you use the internal 4k 25P setting, outputting HD, and 4k when I have more time/budget allowance.

Look forward to seeing your tests.

Even at 5K (gbp) this is hardly a camera anyone would buy that doesn't have a business making enough money to justify it's cost. As a business owner getting a new fs7 would be a much better investment for just a bit more and you can write off the tax. It might not take pretty pictures but you'd have a production ready camera. I also never would buy second hand gear for that amount of cash because you don't get any warranty, if something would malfunction repaircost could be a nice surprise as well.

I"m also not surprised why the 1dc starts to show up at half the new price, any photoprofessionals I have worked with all work with 5dIII and they often either have a second mark3 or a mark2 as b-cam and videoprofessional rather invest in canon's c-line. Anyone doing professional work and one who needs a 1dc for either photo or video buy's it new, they have to sell it at least with a 50% loss when they replace the camera's because they know no other professional will buy it second hand if it's only 20 to 30% cheaper and no amateur has that amount of cash to spare, they have to go a lot cheaper just to get rid of it, then it might become interesting for a pro who just needs a b-cam backup or a enthusiast amateur but I"m sure there are not many that are willing to cough up 5K GBP for a second hand camera, not if there are alternatives for a lot less money.

Ofcourse if you buy this camera just for the sake of putting other camera's up against it you can inform your readers better about the real value of other, much cheaper camera's. You might even be able to add a 26th point to your list of why the a7s/shogun is a better option then the 1dc. :)

One last thought... NX1, GH4 and A7S (4K alternatives to the 1D C) are £1299 and £1899 respectively. Amazing value considering this kind of performance was £10,000 2 years ago!!

This is so impressive! The technical evolution is just staggering. I remember talking to a freind about 8 years ago and he told me about his 4K camera which was

cutting edge at that time and I had no idea about what 4K was. The price of that thing and the media was fabulous.

1d-c-4k.jpg

FYI - There's another one on eBay (in the UK) for £4899 with two batteries here.

The 1D C is a camera that has been the source of both great wonder and bafflement for me since it was released but it is time to bring it into the EOSHD family and shoot with it!

Read the full article here

​Hey!

EOSHSD/KODAK for 2015 get those cooks on an arri LT or moviecam...with kodak 5203...AMAZING!!!

Wish you and everyone all the best HAPPY NEW YEAR!