Official Atomos Shogun thread

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

To be honest neither Matt's original post here or on the GH4 thread has anything wrong/unacceptable, neither do Andrew's replies just because we know how stressful it is to talk about these specific issues, so nothing worth either banning nor personal hate. I like Matt and he's actually one of the reasons this forum is enjoyable! Having an opposite view makes forums interesting, look at NFS now and how it turned into a desert after having members who just agree with posters... 

I like Andrews site/views and like the members' here, they're the reason I am here instead of being on one of the other hundreds of online communities, so losing either Andrew or Matt's somewhat controversial views would make this community useless to me personally... 

​Thanks for the support Ebrahim and I'm sorry but I really do want to delete my account. I wish I could just stop using the forum but I know I'll get drawn back in. I don't want to spoil any more threads with my discontent. 

​Thanks for the support Ebrahim and I'm sorry but I really do want to delete my account. I wish I could just stop using the forum but I know I'll get drawn back in. I don't want to spoil any more threads with my discontent. 

I think this forum engine (IP Board) does not come with this feature by design, you can only do this with optional 3rd party plugins. But let's wait for Andrew's answer.

​Then get drawn back in. I remember some forums where I just hot headedly stayed away for a couple of days, intending to never return, then after a few days of cooling down period, realized that I was overreacting and it would suck not being able to join in. A forum is a community thing, so the content is what you and others (including Andrew, but not exclusively) make of it. So what it's all about around here for the greater part reflects the user base. If you feel like something's missing... then add to it.

And just coming back to the blog and reviews itself, remember, blogs are always opinionated and subjective to a certain degree. What makes a blogger succesful is a very strong own opinion. You can check out CNET Reviews and everything's great about everything and they list you the specs... that's nice and all, but I want someone to really give me their thoughts on it, get to the nitty gritty of it all and backing it up with reasoning why that's how they feel about it in a certain way. This way a blogger earns my trust. If you don't trust someone, well, that's just too bad. If you do trust Andrew, then what's with all the fuzz to begin with?

I'm pretty sure nobody wants to see anybody leave. Everyone should be welcome here, even if visions don't align. Listen, I understand you probably have the best intentions and to a certain degree you can always speak your mind freely, but you can't demand something of a person, claiming he has some kind of responsibility to do something, when he in fact does not. Well anyways, you got it out, you got your answer, now just put it behind you. No reason to stop being a part of the community because of that.

To end this comment, I'd just like to point you to Andrew's mission statement:

One of the guiding principals of EOSHD is that nobody should be blocked from practicing their art and executing their talent as a cinematographer or filmmaker due to the cost of equipment. DSLRs are a prime example of what’s so great about accessible filmmaking equipment. Yes, I do also cover the high end too – but the main aim of EOSHD is to cater for users of consumer & prosumer DSLR and mirrorless cameras.

If you can identify with that. Then what's the problem here? ;)

Wow. Moving onto topic....

What do you think to this solution for rigging an Atomos Shogun? http://www.edelkrone.com/eu/5-modula-series

It looks really useful and the grip looks pretty neat. 

​ They always come up with the coolest stuff! Modular rigs, the slider... but I have yet to come across excited users. The Modula 3 looks pretty nice and basic though.

Why do I want to leave? Because I think 70% of the users here are fucking stupid. How many times do I have to say it? Can you even read? THIS WAS NEVER ABOUT EOSHD'S CONTENT OR APPROACH TO BLOGGING. IT WAS JUST ME STATING THAT I THINK THERE SHOULD BE A LEGAL DISCLAIMER. I NEVER MADE ANY FUCKING DEMANDS. I STATED AN OPINION IN A POLITE WAY. IT RECIEVED NOTHING BUT SCORN. THAT BOTHERS ME. I NEED MORE RESPECT THAN THAT. ANDREW DOESN'T HAVE TO AGREE WITH ME - I NEVER DEMANDED THAT. BUT I DON'T ACCEPT BEING TOLD TO SHUT UP. WHAT EXACTLY WAS OUT OF ORDER ABOUT WHAT I SAID? AND PLEASE READ WHAT I ACTUALLY SAID IF YOU FEEL THE NEED TO REPLY.

Reid hasn't even got the curtsey to delete my account when I request it. It's a joke.

I think this forum engine (IP Board) does not come with this feature by design, you can only do this with optional 3rd party plugins. But let's wait for Andrew's answer.

​We'll be waiting a long fucking time.

I've given you a platform to put yourself on as a filmmaker to the tune of 1031 posts and counting, thousands of people have noticed you on the forum because you're a regular poster.

​The ego of this comment is astonishing. You really think I give flying fuck how many people notice me? You're deluded. What could I possibly get out of that?

I've CONTRIBUTED to this COMMUNITY. I've always been respectful but I've often disagreed with your views. Shit, you've even used stuff I've pointed out on the forum in your reviews. Kendy Ty in your GH4 guide? I brought that guy to the attention of this forum as someone who does amazing stuff with a crap camera. A few days later there was an EOSHD article about him. Did you ever even vaguely acknowledge that? No. Did I complain? No. I just put it down to your egotistical nature and forgot about it. I could list more little instances like this. No doubt people will come down on me for saying this. I wouldn't normally. But we both know it's true. I've got way more stuff from EOSHD than I've given, but don't call me a fucking parasite. 

Just fucking delete my account. Ban me if you have to. I'm not going to change my tune. 

Wow. Moving onto topic....

What do you think to this solution for rigging an Atomos Shogun? http://www.edelkrone.com/eu/5-modula-series

It looks really useful and the grip looks pretty neat. 

​good find i think the Modula 9+ Would be what i would be looking to get with the focus down at the hands and double shoulder support. That might come before the Shogun to make shooting more easy.

How about that Shogun?

Regarding Guests posts. WTF? If you follow Andrew's purchases, review and criticisms their bias pertains to the way he like to shoot. I often disagree with his assessments on one thing or another, but it comes from my bias's of how I like to shoot. But that's what I love about this site is I see a perspective that is quite unlike mine but without a doubt full useful views. It got me excited about small cameras again.

Anyway, keep it the good work in the New Year.

Oh yeah, about that Shogun, love to see more comparisons with Odyssey should you be able to get your hands on both at the same time.

​Unfortunately it isn't 1.3x

With the BMPC glass I kind of hacked into the prototype adapter, the sensor became 1.3x in 1080p and 1.5x in 4K if I remember correctly!

However I had issues with edge sharpness and even one half of the image softer than the other... not really usable, and it didn't clear the shutter mechanism, so not safe for release as a product.

The official Speed Booster for the GH4 is currently 1.5x in 1080p and 1.7x in 4K. Still nice though!

​Thanks for the correction and for the additional info on the shutter conflict and edge sharpness.  I had forgotten that the sensor area was smaller for 4K on the GH4.  Good to know that GH4 speed booster works without a hitch.

I recently got my Shogun. Here's my honest take:

The case
It's nice that they include a solid case. It's way too big though, with loads of wasted space for stuff you don't need to carry around (like plug adapters). It won't fit in most bags, it's so huge. It's bigger than the bag I use for my A7s with all my lenses, which seems silly.

The hardware
The screen is nice and sharp. However, the build quality of the Shogun itself is really shoddy. Creaky plastic, smudgy plastic screen cover. Surprisingly flimsy! Looks like it will break if I stare at it too hard :) Even the letters 'SHOGUN' are mis-aligned and crooked on my copy, as though it was some cheap Chinese knockoff. It doesn't exactly inspire confidence. Also, the way the battery is inserted seems flimsy.

If you compare the build of the Shogun to, say, an iPad (which is way cheaper), the iPad is in a different league. An iPad is made of precision sturdy aluminum and glass. The Shogun is made of cheap bendy plastic, yet costs way more. I was very disappointed by the build. I was also surprised to hear it actually make noise. It is not silent, even when paired with SSD's.

Peripherals 
It's nice that you get some peripherals, but strangely you don't get the most important ones - an HDMI cable or a hot shoe mount. From all the marketing pictures it looked like there was a hot shoe mount included - I didn't realise I would have to go out and find one myself on eBay. For the HDMI cable I got the Atoms coiled cable they recommend. It seems fine.

Battery life
One word: terrible! I seem to get at most about an hour, probably less. I would need loads of batteries as well as batteries for the camera. And, the battery charger seems to take forever to charge the battery, and is not very user friendly. I can't work out when it's done and how much it has charged.

On the atoms.com website it says that the you can record 5 HRS+ of prores. Only if you are plugged into the wall you can :).

Features
The display options are quite nice, and the focus zoom works well. However, some features that were promised and not included, such as custom LUT support. Also playback is missing, but that will be added very soon, so no biggie there.

Conclusion
The Shogun is a useful addition to the A7s to make it 4k and ProRes capable. Also  quite useful as a monitor for focusing. I don't really regret getting it, but I was very disappointed with hardware quality and the pathetic battery life - things that I didn't hear so many others complain about. I wonder why reviewers left this out? In the end it doesn't matter how useful the Shogun is if the battery is dead.

I was initially excited about the Shogun. But after reading that it only records UHD and not DCI 4K for the GH4. And no word yet on anamorphic support either. Maybe they are working on a firmware, but who knows.

So far I'm leaning towards the Odyssey Q+, since it does DCI 4K. And there tech support emailed me back saying their next firmware will have anamorphic support.

I really like the overall look of the Shogun though. So hopefully something good comes soon

Why do I want to leave? Because I think 70% of the users here are fucking stupid. How many times do I have to say it? Can you even read? THIS WAS NEVER ABOUT EOSHD'S CONTENT OR APPROACH TO BLOGGING. IT WAS JUST ME STATING THAT I THINK THERE SHOULD BE A LEGAL DISCLAIMER. I NEVER MADE ANY FUCKING DEMANDS. I STATED AN OPINION IN A POLITE WAY. IT RECIEVED NOTHING BUT SCORN. THAT BOTHERS ME. I NEED MORE RESPECT THAN THAT. ANDREW DOESN'T HAVE TO AGREE WITH ME - I NEVER DEMANDED THAT. BUT I DON'T ACCEPT BEING TOLD TO SHUT UP. WHAT EXACTLY WAS OUT OF ORDER ABOUT WHAT I SAID? AND PLEASE READ WHAT I ACTUALLY SAID IF YOU FEEL THE NEED TO REPLY.

Reid hasn't even got the curtsey to delete my account when I request it. It's a joke.

​Dude....this is his house, you live by his rules. You are just a guest and in no position to make demands or have expectations. If you don't like what he says, then don't visit the site.

Is this too obvious?

• 2 weeks later...