Sony's "The Interview" gets release

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

​It was extremely targeted. 

​Yeah, it was targeted.  Directly.  That's only part of the story.

The industry news here in SoCal also notes that Sony's network infrastructure was a bit wide open.  There might be a much more banal pragmatic reason Sony was attacked.  Perhaps more of a crime of opportunity of a hacking collective rather than some sort of nation-state-war-game?  

Internet security experts around here are certainly questioning if was indeed NKR.  

No reason to take the U.S'. F.B.I. accusatory word at face value anyway.  They have a well earned reputation as being wrong.  A lot.  Being a bit nutso is in the organization's DNA; grains of salt with those guys.  Their cop work isn't always stellar.

To me it feels like news getting ahead of the facts.  I suspect in a few months the story will read a lot different.

Aside from all that, someone made a movie and the production company/distributor backed off because of a threat of violence.  That to me is BS and disappointingly un-American.  Moreover, I think Sony was grateful that in the midst of their cyber attack they had this ray of bright PR shining on a stinker of a film.  The movie is going to make ten times as much money as it would have otherwise. 

However, to suggest that the film should be buried because it's a stupid film (so what?) is wholly misguided and upsets my U.S.A. values.  (yeah, we do have values - just not a lot of good taste)  This is a place that tries to tolerate people like Fred Phelps because we respect the first amendment of our constitution.  Man, if we're to get upset at bad comedies, then bring out the guillotine for Adam Sandler or Daniel Whitney.  THERE'S some serious crime against humanity.

Yippee ya kay aye.

It true that it was targeted but that's not unusual, the code was reused and just updated to have phished info and relevant ip addresses compiled in, and also signed by a sony certificate. it really could happen to almost any business from any group of hackers. the real winners here are the private cyber security firms, that is a growth industry!

anyone that really wants to nerd out on this topic, good link to follow the cyber security buzz here:

https://twitter.com/e_kaspersky/lists/great

kaspersky et al. 

• Administrators

On a side not, this film is a good example of the "Streisand Effect". It would've flopped and few people would've bothered to see it if it was simply ignored....trying to stop the film just gave it insane amount of press and promotion. 

​That's true.

It's online now, you can watch it here (US only) -

https://www.seetheinterview.com

Although you want an hour and a half of your life back afterwards.

The joke about the basketball hoops needing to be lowered isn't about North Korea, it's about a race of people, that the filmmakers get a kick out of portraying as weird small people who speak funny

I haven't seen the film - isn't that joke about a guy who likes to play with his personal circus, which unfortunately is a country?

Korean basketball is OK

The joke about the basketball hoops needing to be lowered isn't about North Korea, it's about a race of people, that the filmmakers get a kick out of portraying as weird small people who speak funny...guys this isn't humour, it's bullying and something that reinforces plenty of real world bullying in every school in the west.

The movie is in poor taste for the expense of laughs.  That's pretty much how a lot of comedy works, whether you find it subjectively humorous or not.

Besides, NK's ARE weird and small.  They have a very unfortunate philosophy about life and government that leads to inability to actually feed their population.  Is that funny?  Can be, depends on context.  There's humor in everything seen from a certain angle.

The film is the equivalent of a racist idiot doing "ching chong china man" silly voices and peeling his eyes back, saying "hey I've got slitty eyes haha... DONG"

Racism. Pure and simple.

​Cool.  That's literally an unequivocal statement.  

I'll actually watch the film and see if I agree with that assessment.  But, as far as I'm concerned, the Koreans I've met, worked with in Seoul, (and got incredibly inebriated with) are awesome.  They're more "out there" than many Americans and their pop culture is incredible.

I can't speak for anyone but myself, but I do distinguish between the two countries and their people.

• Administrators

It would make a great satire all of this. A much better one than The Interview serves up.

In a selfie obsessed world of empty headed vanity, the next world war is started on the internet. Perhaps on a forum. Over a film. Which results in cyberwarfare, the first big cyberwar fought on the internet, where the West's internet is knocked out for years and giant Terminator drones run riot in the skies. What would we do without the internet!? And all for the sake of that stupid film! Damn!

Besides, NK's ARE weird and small.  They have a very unfortunate philosophy about life and government that leads to inability to actually feed their population.  Is that funny?  Can be, depends on context.  There's humor in everything seen from a certain angle.

Unfortunate philosophy? Their country was dragged into a Cold War crossfire between communism and capitalism, and they are all basically hostages to a bunch of communist fanatics at the top. Their real Korean culture and philosophy and way of life have been completely suppressed. To call their situation a 'philosophy' is abit like calling Jews' life in concentration camps a philosophy, it's basically blaming the victim. Who the hell taught you to think like this? This shit baffles me...

Unfortunate philosophy? Their country was dragged into a Cold War crossfire between communism and capitalism, and they are all basically hostages to a bunch of communist fanatics at the top. Their real Korean culture and philosophy and way of life have been completely suppressed. To call their situation a 'philosophy' is abit like calling Jews' life in concentration camps a philosophy, it's basically blaming the victim. Who the hell taught you to think like this? This shit baffles me...

​I'm talking about the NKR's government, not all the people.

But let's consider the people. Regardless how they got there, plenty of the population now embrace and accept the hermit country's "philosophy" about the world.  They don't know any better and have been indoctrinated in the ruling class' worldview.

Not sure why that's hard to understand, controversial, or what's baffling about it. Seems like a reasonable reckoning of the situation to me.

After all, even some Polish Jews supported the Nazis.  (Ah... Godwin's Law! I suppose that was inevitable) Human behavior is complicated; especially in survival mode. 

Good, because the behavior you described is called Stockhold syndrome, and it is the result of intense psychological and physical trauma. Not philosophy of life. 

Call it what you will, and ​I do agree, but the people of that nation ultimately do have their particular viewpoint of reality; twisted by terrible circumstances. 

But look, communism is philosophy and in NK it's now mixed with divinity nonsense.  We might not like it, but can we deny it?