A Video Player for H.265(NX1 video files) that works!

Ivar Kristjan Ivarsson

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Yeah MPC-HC can play H265, but it needs CPU power. I downloaded the UHD files from imaging-resource.com when they first came out. My i7-3770 can play them, but all the cores are used up to 100%, and the playback is not perfectly fluid. I don't have a dedicated graphics card, but I guess it wouldn't help.

EDIT: just downloaded the newest 1.7.7, they made a huge improvement in HEVC playback. Now the core usage goes up to 60%, and NX1 UHD plays perfectly!!

​Hey, you don't trust me GMaximus? hehe ;)

​It just didn't make sense for me, been using MPC for years, tried it with h.265 for sure, it didn't use hardware acceleration and was as slow as VLC.

But they did improve h.265 playback in v.1.77:

• LAV Video: HEVC decoding is up to 100% faster
  • Ticket #4783, LAV Video: Experimental support for hardware (CUVID and DXVA2) assisted decoding of HEVC streams (disabled by default)

Have to try DXVA with it.

• Administrators

I'd expect the same improvements to come to VLC on the Mac soon. Won't be long to wait. I'm surprised a general purpose Intel CPU can playback H.265 fluidly in software with no hardware support. Good news all round! Perhaps Adobe can get it working in Premiere after all and we won't need special support from the GPU (980 GTX onwards)

I'd expect the same improvements to come to VLC on the Mac soon. Won't be long to wait. I'm surprised a general purpose Intel CPU can playback H.265 fluidly in software with no hardware support. Good news all round! Perhaps Adobe can get it working in Premiere after all and we won't need special support from the GPU (980 GTX onwards)

​Yeah, I was suprised also and there have been no hiccups at all. Look at these benchmarks Andrew: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-780-performance-review,3516-26.html

It seems the GTX 580 was a very powerful card when it came to cuda performance. I think Nvidia did not like how close their gaming cards where getting to they're Quadro cards(which cost alot more). But since MPC doesn't use hardware acceleration this probably doesn't matter. But does help in premiere ;)

• Administrators

Yes the 580 was a great card since NVidia probably make 90% of their money from consumer gaming cards I don't think they'd cripple the line to protect the tiny niche Quadro line. The Quadro line has more stuff for pros than just performance.

How does the latest NVidia card do for compute and CUDA? Must be better than the GTX 580 by now!

Yes the 580 was a great card since NVidia probably make 90% of their money from consumer gaming cards I don't think they'd cripple the line to protect the tiny niche Quadro line. The Quadro line has more stuff for pros than just performance.

How does the latest NVidia card do for compute and CUDA? Must be better than the GTX 580 by now!

Tom's Hardware forum: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-2412153/nvidia-gtx-970-580.html

It depends on the task. Results for AE are very different, the *only* card from the 700 series that always
beats the 580 for any test is the 780 Ti. Check reviews (I have, extensively, and I've tested a lot of cards).

For CUDA, a 980 is slightly slower than two 580s, about 10% less, and I was testing with a good 980 (1266MHz core).
Thus, a 970 will be a bit slower still.

Hence, a 970 should be faster than one 580 for CUDA, but make sure the app supports Maxwell V2 CUDA, because
not all apps do yet (AE doesn't).

Also, performance isn't purely related to absolute throughput. Indeed, one reason why the 580 is strong for CUDA
is that its high bw is shared across fewer cores, providing a lot more bw per core. Other reasons include a 2X higher
shader clock than later cards, etc.

• 4 months later...

I tried the latest version of MPC-HC (that I've been using for years with LAV) that includes the latest version of internal LAV filters but on my PC 4k files are not smooth, I have a i5-3570k overclocked @ 4Ghz. Also with external LAV (0.65) I get the same results.

Weird since my CPU is supposed to be much better than the i7 860 Ivar Kristjan Ivarsson has! Unless you're using some sort of HW decoding from the Nvidia GPU.

You do know that most high-end smartphones can play back H.265?

Snapdragon 805 and up all have hardware support for the new standard. Additionally, most high end smartphones have QHD screens, which is higher resolution  than FHD. So if all you want to do is play back, you probably have a device in your pocket that can get the job done.

Don't take my word for it, YouTube streams H. 265 here's a sample below. make sure to select 2160p as the resolution:

https://youtu.be/bgnDEZAjLhI