A7S or NX1 for christmas?

Hitfabryk

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

So you plan on making a 2K+ purchase based on some comments you get in a few hours time on a forum? :) If I had to spend that amount of money I"d read up as much as I could on any camera that would interest me, then I would sum up what is important for me and I what I would expect from a camera and make a checklist, any camera that would tick the most checkboxes and especially the ones marks as most important gets bought. 

​>choosing a high megapixel apsc sensor over a lower megapixel FF sensor for stills

nicolascageconfusedemotions.gif

​Its just down to personal experience. Ive found in the past that theres something more of an organic quality to stills taken with a  higher megapixel count. Again, it's just personal experience and i'd probably have a hard time truly quantifying the difference. But the a7s isnt just a lower megapixel count camera, its a much lower megapixel count

also according to my "untests" which are not tests at all - NX1 has less noise in the shadows and highlights.  A more robust image and more natural sharpness.  only downside is jello "rolling shutter" seems to be as bad as A7S.

​You can remove rolling shutter jello, skew and vibration with new Mercalli v4. It is amazing. I think it can remove heat waves too from tele shots.

So you plan on making a 2K+ purchase based on some comments you get in a few hours time on a forum? :) If I had to spend that amount of money I"d read up as much as I could on any camera that would interest me, then I would sum up what is important for me and I what I would expect from a camera and make a checklist, any camera that would tick the most checkboxes and especially the ones marks as most important gets bought. 

Noa, thanks..I already gave it a lot of thoughts..today I wil make the decision..and already the feedback is helpfull. 15.00 the favor is for the NX 1.. Good solid nice colors in movie, ( combination with the 16-50s) and for pic's more interesting. My only doubt was the ff

I also had to make the same choice if the Sony had inside 4K i would of went with it but i ordered the NX1 to.

I read every review and looked at so many videos my eyes hurt.

You posted 

• Internal 4k up to 30fps and 1080p up to 120fps.
  • Better colour reproduction
  • Higher megapixel count for stills (although probably doesn't matter much if you only publish to web)
  • Better body and user interface
  • Dat 16-50mm f2-2.8 lens

I would add if you end up spending $2000 more for the shogin as i might or not then the total cost is $1000 less with the NX1. I got the kit to with 2.8 lens and a NV filter. I think 28MP for stills it just way to much i would rather have the 12MP A7S for that. What are you going to take a photo of and print that needs 28MP  i can print 24x36 from 12mp or less files any day. I had a Canon 44 inch wide format printer and printed lots of 24x36s from my Nikon D700 i also printed 36 inch wide by 8 feet with no problem and had many billboards printed from it as well. I would love to see a NX2 with 12MP and much better low light ISO like the A7S and super good details and some better video features.Or a 28MP Raw half size raw files so i can shoot 14MP raw files and 7MP raw files.

For example if you shoot a wedding and shoot raw with 28MP raw files the editing and storage is going to kill you. No one is going to buy a 28MP large print of people dancing at a wedding reception. I shoot 90% of the wedding with the D700 in the Raw croped mode shooting 6MP raw files i only shoot 12MP raw for the portraits. You can still print a very nice 24x36 from a 6MP file. I was printing them from 3MP files back when that was all was available and looking at a 3MP 24x36 VS a 24MP 24x36 from 6 feet back you would have a very hard time telling what camera shot what.

I think the 28MP raw files are a disadvantage for any Pro event shooter. I could see shooting in studio for portraits with it when you are not shooting hundreds fo images you have to edit. Even for sports its overkill imagine coming home with 2000 28MP raw files to edit from a sports event to have the image printed in a Magazine that only needs a 2MP or smaller file size.

New Mercalli is so amazing that we can almost forget that the rolling shutter exists in 4k cameras. Also easy to get tripod-like shots and pans handheld.

​How does it work when you have something with strong verticals passing by something else with strong verticals (ie. Train pulling into a station against a backdrop of pillars)? I find if you "straighten out" your train, now your back drop leans. 

I have to decide today, please some help..I will use the cam for filming artists in my recording studio, and also make some pic's with it,

but for that I already have an EM1 (with some nice lenses)  The NX1 or the A7S?

​It's a chunk of change. I'd rent them first if it's that close (or buy from a company that has a good return policy: Amazon, B&H, Adorama). I haven't used the nX1 but from what I've seen it's colors look great but you may have H265 workflow issues and less DR. I love my A7s. You definitely have to R&D the best in camera pre-sets to get a great color profile, but not impossible. Low light of course is amazing.

PS. I was torn between Ronin and a Letus Helix so I purchased both knowing I'd send one back. They both arrived about the same time. Though I love the concept of the Helix's design better after one look at all the software hoops I'd have to jump through, I packed it up and sent it back. Buy both cameras if you can afford (or do it on credit), do some simple flesh, chart and motion tests and send the loser home.

​How does it work when you have something with strong verticals passing by something else with strong verticals (ie. Train pulling into a station against a backdrop of pillars)? I find if you "straighten out" your train, now your back drop leans. 

​Some things are impossible to correct. I think that fast moving object across background is one of those. Normal handheld jello and wobbling is well corrected.