What are you editing and grading in.. And lets see your cage

DigitalEd

Would like to see what most of you are using for software for editing your video and grading it i am looking at a few software's .

Any using Hitfilm to edit and grade it?

What about Film Convert for grading is it any good?  it looks very good but so dose the controls in Hitfilm

Or are you just doing it all in Premier or Vegas with no other plug ins?

Lets see your cage

I am going to need to get a cage at some point and have no clue what to get for a not to expensive price point. I will be shooting with a Samsung NX1 i just ordered.

I would love to see photos of what your cage set up looks like and what you are using like cage, Mikes, Mixer, Hoods and so on. Can you use the Shogun as a sound mixer for most things?

Cage VS Gimbal

Also what are your thoughts on buying a cage set up VS spending the money on a good Gimbal gyroscope in place of the cage??

Thanks

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

First on cages & rigs. Having shot with a EX3-Letus-follow focus-DVTEC Engrig set up that weighed tons, I appreciated the chance to build smaller and lighter rigs. With a normal camcorder, you don't need any rigging. With a DSLR/mirrorless and i.e. with my Pocket, you do. But the goal must be 'reduce to the maximum'. I had the Contineo cage for the BMPCC, but I sold it, because I found parts from the hardware store that were smaller and lighter and more ergonomical. 

The best rig is just a grip, in the optimal position for your hand, imo. Try to integrate a remote for start/stop. You almost never find the ideal solution from the usual rig-suppliers, even not from Zacuto. That's my experience. If the built-in display/viewer is usable with the addition of a better eyepiece or loupe - try this first. No monitors or external EVF for handheld/shoulder. They always mean cumbersome rods, screws, magic arms and what have you. I borrowed the Alphatron EVF, which has a superb image, but just makes everything way too difficult to hold and the HDMI latency makes it practically unusable. No follow focus.

For serious grading, I can't understand why someone wouldn't want to use Resolve. It's free, and among colorists it seems to be the favorite app, as this poll suggests.

I had FCS 3 with FCP7 and Color before and on an alternative Windows system Premiere CS5.5 with Color Finesse. Of these two, FCP was clearly more usable. No experience with Speedgrade. The most modern and easy-to-use NLE is FCP X. Though it's CC tools are very limited, they are also well integrated, because they are no 'effects' in the application, but clip properties. Sure, if you need to mix color channels, for example, you can't do it with the default CC. But then again there are hundreds of free or cheap APS-plugins that can do this. Some of them actually good. No need to smile at FCP X 'colorists'. Their results often convince (look at rungunshoots clips in the screening room, EDIT: Are all older posts offline now?). And they get there in no time.

Premiere with Colorista II and Filmconvert(I don´t do heavy grades) for editing and grading.

My rig consist of bits and parts of a Ginirig but the shoulder pad is from Shape. I use a Lanparte v-mount power supplier to run my Zoom H6 and my Art Dual Pre........and of course my wonderful new Samsung NX1(used to be a gh2 on there). I know.....it is heavy...but, I come from the t.v. industry and have shot mostly with ENG cameras like the Panasonic P2 3100 so I am used to it.......and I dislike microjitters and shaky cam, I like to be smooth in shooting.....so a correctly balanced a bit heavy rig for me :)

IMG_0190.JPG

IMG_0189.JPG