Official Atomos Shogun thread (4K, A7S, GH4, NX1)

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

hey andrew,

picked mine up today as well...

great monitor, interface, case, accessories, etc..

the one thing i`m not sure about is the build quality and the choice atomos made concerning the materials.

i`d rather have spend a few € more for a decent aluminum body, i`m pretty sure that the shogun will wear out quiet fast on a hot set, especially the screen.

from looking at it... this thing screams scratch! :-)  

best,

wondo

Cant wait to see if this makes the high iso of the NX1 be a lot cleaner at 3200 and 6400. you pointed out something about it not 100% working with the NX1 yet what is not working yet ?

I need to order a camera on Monday .. i am at a beach location i want to shoot at and will only be here till after Xmass need to shoot a lot of stock here before i go.

Was disappointed to see that they have no metabones speed for NX1 use. I can cover getting the NX1 or HG4 and shogun and lens but the Sony at $1000 more is just out of reach.

I still think bang for the buck the Odyssey 7Q may be the better option.  I haven't played with the Shogun yet but after this latest firmware - the O7Q will allow you to record raw out of the FS700 and FS7 and go to quicktime and improve over the internal codecs, as well as with the C500 and eventually the F5 and F55.

Also in terms of monitor quality I think the O7Q seems like a better monitor.  OLED is more useful for outside and it has a wider picture gamut.  

Also you only can use the Odyssey media because it's made to record 4k DPX files - so it needs the absolute best media.

I bet we'll hear reports of drive failures on the shogun.

and as stated, the build quality on the shogun looks like it won't take as many tickings.

but the breakout cable is smart and it weighs less and it can do different flavors of pro res.  My vote is still out.

but if said user wants to eventually upgrade or rent out their monitor, the O7Q seems to give more of an advantage and work with more cameras better .  And it's getting pro res 422 soon and hopefully pro res 4444.  For me what matters is monitor quality in terms of color fidelity and luminescence. - 720p vs 1080p doesn't matter to me - the O7Q is way high enough resolution to see if something is in focus or not.  Especially from how close one is to its viewing distance.

Also the O7Q has a multicam mode which is brilliant as a director's viewfinder.

But OLED being brighter for outdoor work and having true blacks and a wider color gamut makes it probably a better monitor.

For me, the extra money spent on the Odyssey will pay back well - if not alone for its build quality being stronger so it will last longer.  I've put that O7Q thru the desert of Dubai and it survived with no issues whatsoever.  Have not had one bad recording.  I have a lot of faith in Convergent Design.  They have been around a while.  I love Atomos too - I own 3 samurais - but those guys break all the time.  Maybe the shogun is a step up.  But I guess I need to rent the shogun and see for myself.

I'm sure the media cost on the Odyssey media will come down in price as well over time.  I don't think you want to count out the Odyssey 7Q just yet.  I would look forward to someone doing a review between the two devices, especially if that person can have a German accent and mispronounce Shogun as Sho-Goon.  That was amazing  :)

shogun-main.thumb.jpg.c1e94ea1480a60f072

EOSHD thread for all things Atomos Shogun related.

My hands-on part 1 is available here -

http://www.eoshd.com/2014/12/atomos-shogun-review-part-1/

​Looks Insane, I can only imagine the beauty of Full Frame 4K.........

While people are placing speedboosters on their GH4 trying to get a "cinematic" image, the Sony A7s gives you it right out of the box..... The A7s cost more, because it's a much better camera...... Also The Atomos is my choice for purchase over the 7Q sole based on media storage alone, what where they thinking........

Need to get my hands on this recorder (Atomos) ASAP

Atomos looks mighty tempting. Definitely on my toy list to get. Regarding the Odyssey, I can't seem to find any brightness specs on it. The Atomos clocks in at 400 NITs which isn't so bad. OLED tend not to be as bright, but the colors/contrast are top. If someone develops 3rd party storage for Odyssey it definitely becomes more competitive.

Atomos looks mighty tempting. Definitely on my toy list to get. Regarding the Odyssey, I can't seem to find any brightness specs on it. The Atomos clocks in at 400 NITs which isn't so bad. OLED tend not to be as bright, but the colors/contrast are top. If someone develops 3rd party storage for Odyssey it definitely becomes more competitive.

​Not sure about the 7Q brightness specwise, but I can tell you that it is a very, very crisp and clear screen that I've never had any issues with in sunlight.

Hi,

The 7q have also the 4k to HD prores, which is clearly a good option to have the best hd image. Not much people need the 4k. I talk to atomos (which look very good too) but it don't do that.

Does someone know if the fs7 need the extension unit to work with the 7q or 7q only can work ?

Thanks men

Mitch Gross from Convergent Design on dvxuser said O7+ is 10 bit thru hdmi used with Panasonic GH4 and FS7.  A7S only outputs 8 bit 422 thru hdmi.

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?331824-Odyssey7Q-will-support-4K-10-bit-over-HDMI

Our engineers have determined that the Odyssey7Q+ HDMI input will in fact fully support 10-bit video in all accepted resolutions. The support for this functionality will be included in the units shipping in the next few days. The camera needs to send it out such a signal of course. Cameras capable of sending 4K 10-bit video over HDMI include the Panasonic GH4 and the Sony FS7.