Why I am no longer a Canon APS-C user

Andrew Reid

Providing the Canon 650D camera system with auto focus during video is aimed at soccer Moms. I think that's Canon's market. Serious videographers who pull focus manually on their own or paid shoots know what I mean. So "fixing" auto focus (which for serious shooters wasn't an issue) and then NOT addressing alaising and moire, well you know that Canon are only happy to take care of people who don't have a clue but pay the money. So on many points I can see where Andrew is grumpy, but then again, I don't find myself focussing on Canon marketing strategy.....I'd rather just go out and shoot something with an appropriate (budget) camera for the project at hand. Many of us should be simply thankful that the GH2 and the fullframe DSLR's together fill this roll fairly well. Maybe we should just get over it and agree that the perfect budget video camera for all film makers will never exist. Ripping the guts out of an expensive camera to make it look a little more like a GH2 was pretty entertaining though!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
I know lot of it is the person operating the camera, but if Canon is just is still shooting "sub 720p levels of resolution in 1080p mode," and most wedding videos are not shot in 1080p(as that is what people are demanding) then advantage is there to the 60D over say the FS100, or  Blackmagic Cinema Camera? Would it be the lens support, or is low light still that much better on the 60D(or is that non-factor with led lights attached to the hotshoe) vs the others listed in the article? Thank you for the reply.

Hey Andrew, what's so seriously bad about the 5D3?
The tests without the AA filter you posted a while back looked damned good to me.
Yes, that will affect the color of the images, but last I heard someone was working on a replacement filter. That should give you a kickass full frame camera that's still quite cheap considering the alternatives (actually there's not that many full frame alternatives).

No one buys a RED not expecting to spend quite a lot of money on accessories, so having to buy this replacement filter so you can use a stills camera to shoot great video doesn't seem that bad to me!

• Administrators
[quote author=Bruno link=topic=837.msg6042#msg6042 date=1339614918]
The tests without the AA filter you posted a while back looked damned good to me.
Yes, that will affect the color of the images, but last I heard someone was working on a replacement filter. That should give you a kickass full frame camera that's still quite cheap considering the alternatives (actually there's not that many full frame alternatives).

No one buys a RED not expecting to spend quite a lot of money on accessories, so having to buy this replacement filter so you can use a stills camera to shoot great video doesn't seem that bad to me!
[/quote]

This article is about APS-C Canons. The 5D3 is full frame. Different beast, different topic.

[quote author=Bruno link=topic=837.msg6042#msg6042 date=1339614918]

[/quote]

plus after testing it was determined that taking out the AA filter has absolutely no effect on resolution. -On shooting resolution charts at least.

All the "pros" who do commercial, corporate, tv, I've worked with , never use dSLR's for real work. I always see RED, Arri, Panasonic's on the high end for real work. While everyone is having a resolution war with themselves, the pro's are working, not bitching. Use a stills camera for what its used for, a stills camera and have fun shooting shorts, wedding or little paid projects with the video mode. No one is shooting award winning features with these things. They are fun expensive toys. So have fun, shoot a short or take some pictures but if you really need to do real work, get a real HD cam and shoot a real movie. My two cents.

• Administrators
[quote author=TJB link=topic=837.msg6068#msg6068 date=1339657649]
I didn't buy an FS100. I haven't bought a Canon 5DMK3 and I won't buy a Blackmagic Cinema Camera.
$4,500
$3,500
$3,000
=$11,000

NOW.....soon I can buy a Canon C300!
[/quote]

FS700?

[quote author=Andrew Reid link=topic=837.msg6077#msg6077 date=1339689784]
[quote author=TJB link=topic=837.msg6068#msg6068 date=1339657649]
I didn't buy an FS100. I haven't bought a Canon 5DMK3 and I won't buy a Blackmagic Cinema Camera.
$4,500
$3,500
$3,000
=$11,000
NOW.....soon I can buy a Canon C300!
[/quote]

FS700?
[/quote]

Unless you are doing slo-mo all the time, the FS700 is pretty overpriced for the IQ at it's normal frame rates. 

• 2 weeks later...
[quote author=xenogears link=topic=837.msg6001#msg6001 date=1339531879]
Sadly marketing is what rules in people mind...
[/quote]

Do you really think so?  What about all the blogs and " young film makers who push this nonsense to each other and others fall for it.

What about the pro film maker that does a vid and tells us how how it all is and then gets given a $100,000 camcorder by his sponsor, unbeknowns to us, of course

What is the next " affordable " camera that will cost us over half as much again in aftermarket kit, so we mimic a camcorder?

Who's going to fall for Black magic?  Is the digital Bolex designed for and by arty types with a love for an arty effect of the 60s.or will it be a tool to help pay the bills?

I'm renting camcorders and getting the tax deductions

I'm surprised you all fell for it in the first place

and " yes". I'm a 5D owner

[quote author=gene_can_sing link=topic=837.msg6004#msg6004 date=1339533185]
This is such a joke. Canon is a complete and utter joke.

What about the Moire and Aliasing on the new Rebel? Did they fix that at least?

Well, for me, I have a good chunk of money saved and am eagerly awaiting the FS700. It's strange to think that the Sony FS100 came out 1 year ago, and in one year, Sony does an upgrade that is 3x better. Canon spends 4 long years and doesn't do crap.

BTW, how is your Metabones working?

Have you thought of changing the name of your website from EOSHD? I feel that it somehow gives Canon some un-warranted street cred. when they don't deserve any.
[/quote]

Canon won't update in such a fashion as to compete against their camcorder line.  I reckon companies act as a cartel to not do so.  FS700 great slo mo.  Good choice

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xukuY1N6uDE&feature=related [img]https://encrypted-tbn2.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRehP9-oAOk6_7TrKejIVLTkwPCPDedBU2pBzIk6-D0U_6KwBbv3Q[/img]

Can someone give me a clear explanation of Canon's downscaling? Or point me in the direction of a resource online that does? I have a vague idea but I've never seen it clearly explained. Why is a Canon APS-C sensor not able to deliver "true" or "full" 1080p? Is this something that's really noticeable to the average viewer of web-compressed video? Thanks in advance...

cultureshot:

Some of the images in this article demonstrates very clearly what happens with the downscaling: http://www.eoshd.com/content/343/where-is-the-35mm-full-frame-2-megapixel-dslr

Note: it doesn't show the moiré that is introduced in fine patterns nor the aliasing on sharp edges / lines..

On how this result is achieved exactly: well I'm sure you can find more about it somewhere but as far as I know the camera discards 3 out of 4 lines of (stills) resolution to downscale the original sensor image to a video signal..

[quote author=rommex link=topic=837.msg6002#msg6002 date=1339532342]
I agree there is no sense to follow Canon's updates.

[/quote]

To Canon there is.  They will limit DSLR capability so as to protect their camcorder line. It's a commercial decision based on profit