Let's see what the Samsung NX1 is REALLY capable of - shooting 4K in sunny Lisbon

Andrew Reid

Great write up and love the footage. Was that shot in 4K with the Shogun?

Can anyone point me in the direction of the "lab" write-up, I'm just curious to see what all the hullabaloo is about. Thanks.

**Update** Nevermind, found it with Google! Laughed at the comments first and that review! Wow. Thanks.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I got my nx1 - shot today some tests.  I am feeling like the native ISO on it to me feels like 400 ISO for best high lights and low light - will shoot a dynamic range chart asap.  Seems like 800 ISO is damn good.  1600 is totally fine, which is better than the Red Epic!

the color is very nice- I am using a pro lost 5d style profile on it for now - and bringing into resolve asap to start messing around.  

Wondershare is a great app - I bought it Andrew - thanks again for being a pioneer.

Going to make a test video asap.

There is a new Firmware online:

Description:
1. Title - Firmware version 1.10
2. Applicable Model - NX1
3. Carrier or Corporate Customer - Open market
4. Description
Please use i-Launcher program when you want to upgrade your camera.
Refer to Firmware upgrade guide.
[Caution] During upgrading firmware, a camera turns itself on and off two times.
Do not cut off the power and Do not remove battery before complete message.
[v1.10]
1. Added Sort by Oldest / Latest in the Playback menu
2. Added View Continuous Shots (Fold / Unfold) in the Playback menu 
3. Added AF Start and AF Start + Lock in the AF On sub menu under Key Mapping
4. Added Custom Wheel EVC (Exposure Value Compensation) option in the Key Mapping menu
5. Overall color reproduction improvement
6. General improvement in the image quality of DCI 4K(4096x2160) video
7. Image quality improvement in white balance when Smart Range+ Mode is enabled
8. Improvement in long exposure noise reduction when capturing in RAW
9. Improved AF performance:
a. Added AF Release Priority function (Auto/Accuracy Priority/ Shooting Speed Priority).
b. Improved AF performance in low light situations
c. Improved AF performance in CAF & Multi area AF modes
10. Overall wireless strobe sync improvement
11. Other bugs are fixed

I'm very happy with the colours, I hope that Panasonic and Sony step up as well, Samsung's colours seem very pleasant and filmic.

Had Samsung done a camera like this some years ago, when they promissed that they were going to be #1, I would possibly had jumped into NX camera but right now, although I like it, I would wait it to mature as a camera and as a system a bit more - and wait for the others to step up.

More competitors, better for consumers.

There has been rumors about a possible A7000 with 5-axis IBIS and the great AF from the A6000. That's great but will Sony announce a roadmap for APS-C E-mount or even more glass, if not, although it should be a great camera, it makes me wonder what Sony has in mind. For video, although it only works with 3-axis on 3rd party lenses, it should be great since MD is not a problem but for photography, one would want to use AF and native lenses, right? So what's the point of going high-end without proper lens support. So I hope that if they really launch this camera, they do offer a roadmap with it.

Panasonic should announce a GX8, with Olympus and now Sony having a 5-axis IBIS, I would hope that Panasonic can offer that as well or at least offer their normal IBIS but working in video as well - as it was expected to be the case for the GX7 via firmware update. I know that GX8 would not be a video camera, but as a high-end model, it could well offer at least GH3-like 1080p, Cinelike and some others video things we have seen in Panasonic's line up. If the GX8 can offer that, it should be a compelling camera.

The v1.10 firmware update is compelling.  In many reviews the af performance was one of the more standout cons of the NX1.  While already sold on the video, I would be vary enticed by this camera for stills if the af starts to approach D7100 status.  With such a fast processor, is the algorithm the limiting factor, leaving headroom for the af performance of the NX1 to go beyond the current status quo and trounce on the 7DII, or maybe even the 1D/D4?

Regarding the lens system.  There's seems to be about everything you would want: wind, standard, tele zooms, fast standard primes, and a really nice looking 300mm sports lens (adventually).  If the quality is like the 16-50 across the range I don't see the problem in the lens selection.

• Administrators

There is a new Firmware online:

Description:
1. Title - Firmware version 1.10
2. Applicable Model - NX1
3. Carrier or Corporate Customer - Open market
4. Description
Please use i-Launcher program when you want to upgrade your camera.
Refer to Firmware upgrade guide.
[Caution] During upgrading firmware, a camera turns itself on and off two times.
Do not cut off the power and Do not remove battery before complete message.
[v1.10]
1. Added Sort by Oldest / Latest in the Playback menu
2. Added View Continuous Shots (Fold / Unfold) in the Playback menu 
3. Added AF Start and AF Start + Lock in the AF On sub menu under Key Mapping
4. Added Custom Wheel EVC (Exposure Value Compensation) option in the Key Mapping menu
5. Overall color reproduction improvement
6. General improvement in the image quality of DCI 4K(4096x2160) video
7. Image quality improvement in white balance when Smart Range+ Mode is enabled
8. Improvement in long exposure noise reduction when capturing in RAW
9. Improved AF performance:
a. Added AF Release Priority function (Auto/Accuracy Priority/ Shooting Speed Priority).
b. Improved AF performance in low light situations
c. Improved AF performance in CAF & Multi area AF modes
10. Overall wireless strobe sync improvement
11. Other bugs are fixed

​Very interesting, thanks. Will try this and see what the quality improvement brings.

Beautiful images from this camera. I love it when companies stir up the industry. Sadly I dont think this will be a popular camera just due to the name Samsung. Professionals dont hear that name and think camera. They think smart phone or TV. BTW this is my favorite grade you have done. Beautiful contrast between colors. 

​I have to agree some what. I have been a long time Nikon shooter and Canon before that and Samsung was never in the game in any pro way in the past.

I was going to buy the Panasonic or Sony and never even looked at the NX1 thinking no not a Samsung camera it cant be good.

But right before i ordered the Panasonic i took a look at some reviews and then more and more and more and now i just ordered the NX1.

The NX1 seems to be a very good middle ground - if the A7S had inside 4K recording i would of got it for sure just for the super low light shooting it offers. But i think if Samsung did this good on this first version then by this time next year they will have the next version out that will blow us away and Sony to with Panasonic in 3rd and Canon way into 4th.

Just downloaded Andrew's video (having watched it previously on Vimeo) and watched full screen on my iMac.....

Bloody hell. The detail on this thing is insane, and very very clean. Also noticed much better detail in the shadows when watching the download as opposed to the Vimeo link - it's a shame about what the compression does. 

Think the image being so clean and punchy would take quite a bit of TLC to make it "cinematic". Still very impressive stuff. 

Looks beautiful! It's the first time a company other than Canon has produced colour response that nice in a consumer camera. I think it'd cut with Cxxx footage well

Im sure h265 will be in Premiere in not too long! The only thing missing here is some kinda stabilisation in body (I'm being greedy)

id love to see some 120fps examples. In fact a slow motion shootout with a ton of cameras would be a great article

• Administrators

Thanks JG. Yeah really happy with colour from the Samsung sensor. The 120fps samples are coming soon, just need to finish the edit. They are shot from the number 28 tram in Lisbon, a vintage 1930's tram, which didn't quite go fast enough for 120fps so we're talking VERY slow here ;)

Does the NX1 record audio at 120fps?

​No it doesn't.

Also, what does Smart Range+ do - I can't see it doing anything to the dynamic range in overexposured areas.  I assume it's like auto knee control.  But I haven't really put it up to a waveform yet.  Also I think lowest setting on contrast is the way to preserve as much image detail as possible but again I need to hook this baby up to a waveform asap.

Does the NX1 record audio at 120fps?

​in order to get audio at higher speed you need to multiply the sample rate, the audio equivalent of frame rate, in order to get smooth slow audio.

if 25p is 48khz for example, 50p needs to be 96khz, and 100p needs to be 192khz. This requires a capable AD chip and similar code etc.

most camera companies don't bother.