A detailed look at how the Nikon D800E performs for video

Andrew Reid

• Administrators
[html]

[img]http://www.eoshd.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/nikon-d800e.jpg[/img]

[url="http://***URL removed***/reviews/nikon-d800-d800e/30"]Go here to read DPReview’s look at the D800E movie mode vs the standard D800[/url]

Please bear in mind the situation can be improved dramatically by the right in-camera picture settings and [url="http://www.mosaicengineering.com/products/vaf/d800.html"]Mosaic Engineering’s anti-aliasing filter for the D800[/url], which is under development now (as of June 2012).

[url="http://***URL removed***/reviews/nikon-d800-d800e/30"]DPReview[/url] have updated their D800 review with comparison samples and image quality analysis versus the D800E. Along with a 2GB uncompressed file from the D800E recorded to a Blackmagic HyperDeck Shuttle 2, DPReview have posted several 1080p clips on Vimeo from the D800E.

Is the D800E a viable option for video or does the lack of anti-aliasing filter aggravate the moire issues of the D800 even more?

[url="http://www.eoshd.com/content/8176/a-detailed-look-at-how-the-nikon-d800e-performs-for-video/"]Read full article[/url]

[/html]

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
I hate how all these cameras have their faults. I just returned my Sony FS100. I couldn't stand the form factor, overblown highlights and reflective green marks that show up all over the image at night when you aim the camera at a street light or car headlights.

I'm hoping your review of the 5D MarkIIIe will provide me some answer to a near perfect camera for my budgetary needs.

Any ETA on when you'll be doing the 5DIII AA filterless review?

• Administrators
The 5D Mark IIIE is not going well I'm afraid. Need to get the sensor cleaned, as even a single spec of dust shows up on the image now it is closer to the sensor itself rather than floating on a piece of glass in front of it.

I was thinking of sending my 5DIII off to maxmax and having them do it.
Do you regret modifying yours? Or will you recommending certain precautions to evade the dust issue?
Sorry, this is the topic I'm most interested in, which seems to have been ignored by James Miller* and that other mystery guy on vimeo who posted a six minute video then removed it. So much mystery around this mod.

I think just about everyone in the DSLR community is feeling frustrated that after 4 years of DSLR development, the Sub- $5K camera category is so full of compromises. There's no perfect camera, but the prosumer cameras in the $1.5K and under range seem to be a much better value. As tempting as it may be for a new camera, I will use my current gear until there are better alternatives for a $3-5K investment. None of the manufacturers have demonstrated a clearly definitive camera at this price point. The AF100/101 could have been updated for NAB 2012 but nothing happened. In addition, there have been no clear signs from Panasonic to indicate the M4/3 format for pro-use will be supported. The X-lenses at f2.8 are a step in the right direction, but those lenses at f2.0 would indicate to me that Panasonic is committed to product development for professional use. Olympus designed and produced f2 zoom lenses YEARS AGO. Why hasn't Panasonic?
Perhaps the GH3, the BMD Cinema Camera, the Sony A99 or the Digital Bolex will fulfill the current $3-5K void for filmmakers. But for now, making the most of my GH2 and 60D seems to make the most sense---at least until a manufacturer can offer a product that is clearly worth the significant cost of upgrading.

Yep.  I would imagine the BMD cinema camera is the only professional solution for quite a while....and if you haven't pre-ordered one yet, i mean a "while"...  I would assume there's probably about 2 to 5% of the photog world with a GH2 that affiliate it with stills more than video.  The rest of us loiter Personal View.  Panasonic has to know the market for stills on their flagship camera is slim to none.  If i wanted a still m43 factor, i'd grab an OMD.  i love my GH2 to death, but my farts have more dynamic range at times it seems... I would love to shoot RAW... Now it's realistic for the rest of us.

I have the basic concerns on the BMDCC like low-light, how important having no 60p frame rate will be to me later if i wanted it, battery life on an internal battery only, but my main concern is the crop factor.

Apparently, it is a 2.4 crop factor.  I question the Depth of Field obviously..  In John Brawley's blog, he notes that be used fast Leica glass and shot at f2.0 mainly.  I really can't say i saw many shots at all that gave a fuzzy feeling in the DOF area.  It's 16mm equivalent though, and his videos are really all we have to go by for now..  The right shots would make a difference.  Otherwise, compared to Canon, Nikon, Sony, Panasonic, etc... - the BMD is a cinema camera.  From a group that is the defacto in color grading these days.  It offers the whole workflow in a $3000 package.  So other than the SSD's, why would anyone want to invest in a DSLR anymore if you're doing motion photography.. (i hate saying "video"...:).

The only thing i see hot on its heels, because i've never been a fan of Sony's image, is the GH3 if it offers AVCHD Ultra.  Then if it gets hacked, game over.  Hopefully they tackle the range issues, but i'm sure with no real replacement for the AF100, they could do whatever they wanted to with this thing.  Here's hopin:)

P.s.  Anybody else think the Alexa makes skintones look like milk? 

[quote author=vincegortho link=topic=835.msg5997#msg5997 date=1339519065]
I was thinking of sending my 5DIII off to maxmax and having them do it.
Do you regret modifying yours? Or will you recommending certain precautions to evade the dust issue?
Sorry, this is the topic I'm most interested in, which seems to have been ignored by James Miller* and that other mystery guy on vimeo who posted a six minute video then removed it. So much mystery around this mod.
[/quote]

The fault dear Brutus, is in the codec, not the camera!

I'm still holding out hope for the Nikon D800/800E with the Mosaic Filter and a BM Hyperdeck 2.  I feel like that would give me more of what i'm looking for, but only if that would limit the Moire enough to make it all worthwhile.  I really like some of what i've seen from the D800 so far. 

After that it's waiting on the GH3, BMCC and Sony A99.  Not too long to wait tho.  In truth i'd love to save up for a Sony FS700.  I LOVE what i've seen from that camera so far.  That's at the extreme end of my budget tho and I really hope I can get some more good jobs this year to save up for it.  So far the work i've got has been good :)  A couple more good gigs and I might just be able to swing for an FS700. Just wish there was something better in my real price range.  If the GH3 or Sony A99 have 1080/60p I think i'll be satisfied with that, so long as they can improve the low light and DR a bit.

And what does a AA filter do to the D800 video? Answer? It causes the video to look all mushy. Can you then bring out the details using grading sharpening? Err, no, not like what you can do with the 5DIII.
Then how about using an external recording device via HDMI, can you then grade/sharpen it to make the resolution look better? Err, no. D800 HDMI out only allows colour space improvement for grading  and even here it is very marginal so in another word this feature is a gimmick.

As far as video goes, Sony holds Nikon's leash because they supply them with sensors, and i bet that means that Sony is the one that determines what Nikon video can do so as not to interfere with Sony's v-cams. In other words, there is no reason to expect that Nikon will ever do anything great with their video.

because of the moirè I'm considering the D800E/D800 only for 7k timelapses..

The only "budget" camera that I'm curious to try now is a hacked GH3.

I would love to have a BMCC if only the sensor would be bigger but it's not.

Many cameras out there , not one complete. there is always something missing.. they want us to buy and buy and buy before they sell us something real good.

[quote author=HurtinMinorKey link=topic=835.msg6034#msg6034 date=1339603900]
As far as video goes, Sony holds Nikon's leash because they supply them with sensors, and i bet that means that Sony is the one that determines what Nikon video can do so as not to interfere with Sony's v-cams. In other words, there is no reason to expect that Nikon will ever do anything great with their video.
[/quote]

Spot on. Said this all along. There is patent agreement for Nikon to use Sony sensors. I bet that is why the D800 and D4 when using 1080p video they have to crop the sensor to 1.1  and not full frame. Nothing to do with down scaling.

The video images from my D800 have been getting better and better.  The key is obviously to shoot with a neutral picture profile with sharpening off.  Aliasing is much more rare with these settings, and I don't seem to be getting nearly as many instances of false color and moire. 

I'm absolutely in love with the FX to 1.5 DX crop switching, as I can mount my 85 1.8G, and get more reach if need be. 

In short you do have to coax great video images out of the D800, but it is capable of them for sure.  I'm absolutely ecstatic over the increase of apparent resolution and crispness over my 5D2, there is no doubt about that. 

For stills, what can I say? Images are awesome, and it's easily the best DSLR I've ever used.  Thanks Andrew.