Perfect camera for enthusiast, not yet professional, user?

cojocaru27

because i don't have much experience with these cameras and it's a lot of investment for me. i work hard for the money and i don't earn from cinematography, it's just a passion. i am living in Dubai right now and i don't have to many options in renting a camera and play with it. so the more i know, even though theoretical, the better it is. it's a big step for me even it sounds like a stupid question for you guys. and second, i am waiting for the begining of the next year to see exactly what is all about the new canon 5d mark4 and new olympus m5 and maybe a new blackmagic entry level. if it's not something groundbreaking for me, i will give it a try with nikon or bmcc. thank you so much for all the comments, cheers.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

The thing is, (in my opinion) the difference in IQ is not that big of a deal these days. If you're spending about $2k, you're going to get some sort of camera that does a good job capturing clean nice motion pictures. Bmpcc. You like the image? Get it!

Honestly, no one needs the "best" camera anyway. It's how you use it that matters.

To wait in the meantime... and miss out on the time and opportunity to actually go out out, film stuff, and be creative seems like a strange idea to me. It's not that such a thing isn't good for you, it's just that I don't really understand it.

If all you want is the best camera so you can carry it around knowing, "wow, I have the best camera," that's perfectly fine, but making stuff is the ultimate goal, right?

Just a general observation for others following these sort of "what's the best" tech threads:

If you're a beginner on the piano --and you spend a week learning how to play "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star." It's not going to sound a whole lot different when you play it on a toy or on a Stienway Concert Grand.

The thing that matters at first is learning. You can't buy technique or skill. You earn it through practice.

A 200k camera in the hands of a novice will look worse than an expert shooting with an iPhone.

With motion pictures in 2015, you can't buy your way into something extraordinary by purchasing a camera body. They're all awesome.

What you do with it is the only thing that makes it extraordinary.

right, it just how you put it sounds like i am stupid guy who just wanna have a big branded camera handing on the neck for others to praise. it's not the case. if it was like this i would have gone for the most expansive one without asking. it was the reason i got omd m5 in the first place. it's small and not noticebale at all. anyway. i am asking this question because i want to make the best choice possible. but i think it was better to keep the question for myslef.although i still believe that this must be the power of a good forum, the freedome to ask questions, even they're stupid, to learn something from the people that are more experienced then you.

i am on the same page with you. its more about trying and go making stuff instead of complaining but for that i still have my omd m5.

but there is a time when bad codecs and bad roller shutter and lack of iq in video mode is pushing you forward looking for a better choice. and when you don't have the possibility to try before, or the experience that you need to make a choice, you just ask the question to the people you admire. that is all about it. sorry if i waste your time though.

cheers.

I shot with the em5 this past year for a paying gig. Nice camera that delivered on the stabilization. It's good for that, but yeah the sensor and codec don't match stuff that's out now.

Keep shooting though. For what it's worth, I'm not suggesting you're asking stupid questions. My responses are just as much for random readers of the thread.

Since you have decent gear now you can do things. Go do it!

Have patience and buy a better can in 2015.

Whatever you get will be fine. Just be prepared to accept that once you have it there will be something "better" about to hit the market next...